Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nuisance Marketing Telephone Calls……… A new one on me.
  • bigblackshed

Ring, ring…..

“Hello”

Pause………click…….(shit, too slow)

“Hello, my names ‘Amanda’ (yeah, right) from Telephone Marketing Directory. I understand you have been experiencing a high number of marketing calls on your landline?”

“Errrrrrr” (just got out of bed after night shift)

“Can I interest you in registering on our system so as to drastically reduce your unwanted calls?”

“Well, I’ve only had one call today”

Brrrrrrrrrr……………(hangs up on me)

😆 🙄

kcal

The automated ones are a pain (and when ‘Withheld’ can look like the school or surgery..). When the call centre ones get through, they always struggle with my surname and so that’s an easy one to filter out..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Waste of time.
    My mother in law got caught out with this.
    Basically all they do for £90 is register your number with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) and send you a call blocker box (worth about £30). The box allows you to log numbers that were marketing / spam calls and once logged block the number next time.
    Telemarketeers regularly change their outbound number to get round this, so the box is little use.
    They tried it with me and were lost for words when they were tolfd that they were making marketing calls to a TPS number.

Which has just reminded me that I need to report them to Ofcom, as they called me and the MIL and both lines have been registered for TPS for about 10 years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruneep

only calls we got on landline were these spam calls, disconnected it from socket.

Cougar

only calls we got on landline were these spam calls, disconnected it from socket.

You know, I’m a stone’s throw from doing the same thing. The sheer volume of stupid calls over genuine ones is astounding. The only reason it’s there these days is because it’s needed ADSL, and I begrudge paying BT £16 a month for the privilege of them not cutting it off.

It annoys me intensely that there’s little else you can do about it. The TPS is toothless, ICO and Ofcom accept reports but very rarely does anything actually come of it. Telephony spam needs dealing with at an exchange level.

jekkyl

the LL rings and you think ‘oh christ, normally it’s only mum who rings the LL, there must be a problem as it’s 2pm and she usually rings at 6 on a sunday, christ where is the phone, look over here, no, is it under the dog, no, is it upstairs on the desk, *leg it upstairs 2 stairs at a time* yes there it is, *click* hello?
    “hello there its jams from the windows technical dept”
    “oh fff *click* ooooooooooooooooooo *dead tone*

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Telephony spam needs dealing with at an exchange level.

..and repeat offenders need permanently cutting off, possibly at the testicles

nealglover
    Free Member

Same here. Not bad a phone plugged in to the landline for a good few years now, in fact there isn’t even a phone in the house to plug into it.

CountZero

It really annoys me when I get spam calls on my mobile for PPI claims or for solar panel installation. The PPI ones always come from 020 numbers, the last one was trying to get me on reclaiming bank charges,
    http://checkwhocalled.co.uk/phone-number/02086380268
    I had another one from 020 3326 9026.
    At least on my iPhone its a doddle to just block any further calls from any irritating spam callers.

imnotverygood

I know there are a lot of mugs around, but how do these people make any money? I get calls several times a day, surely by now any one who is going to get taken in by these people has been done . I can’t believe that there is such a ready supply of the gullible to con.

ononeorange

How do you block calls on an iPhone? I got loads of these blasted calls on mine.

jam-bo

i’ve taken to answering them and just putting the phone back down on the desk and carrying on with whatever I was doing. One guy kept talking for about ten minutes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nuisance Marketing Telephone Calls……… A new one on me.’ is closed to new replies.