• This topic has 48 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by neila.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Nuclear power station graphite core inspectors: PPE
  • footflaps

So I want to inspect the graphite core of an aging nuclear reactor with regard to extending it’s lifespan given the current energy crunch. I’ve had a look online and proper PPE seems quite expensive. I was thinking of using bacofoil for underpants?

Can anyone advise if this will work?

Also gloves, are they really necessary – they’ll be quite sweaty and I won’t be able to write clearly on my clipboard etc…

gonefishin
    Free Member

Are you actually being serious? On the assumption that you are I’d expect hard hat, safety specs, coveralls, gloves and steel toe capped boots to be the minimum requirement just to allowed on site with anything extra as required by a risk assessment for that particular task.

footflaps

The bacofoil pack is CE certified, surely that covers it?

MoreCashThanDash

Even by STW standards this is random.

Intrigued what prompted it, serious or not

avdave2

High vis vest and you’ll be fine. In fact any vest, it’ll soon be high vis.

breninbeener

Dear Lord, please see the mast climbing rope safety thread and the deep sea inspection of oil rig legs thread.

ads678

Intrigued what prompted it, serious or not

See previous, climbers – fall arrest and Divers – Air supply threads…..

DickBarton

We seem to be getting ridiculous scenarios for difficult/dangerous jobs with questions, from what appears to be the village idiot, being asked on how to make these jobs easier/cheaper…

Suspect someone has posted up asking a genuine question about something but others have decided it was daft so now trying to make others up…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

This is precisely what apprentices are for

csb

No they are being serious, it’s Truss’s brave new world of workers taking risks after the bonfire of pesky regulations.

OP you’ll be fine if you make sure you keep a pork pie in your pocket to absorb the bad stuff.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

I was thinking of using bacofoil for underpants?

Bacofoil underpants are not necessary, however you may fancy to fashion the tinfoil into some type of rudimentary millinery. It stops sunburn so should stop any nasties from a mere power station; after all, the sun is bigger and would win in a fight. Gloves likewise.
    Factor 50+ for the rest of you and you’re good to go, etc

IANANS

martinhutch

You’re obviously serious, so the technical answer is that tin foil will protect you from beta particles and bacon grease. Not so good against gamma particles, unless you buy the super strong stuff from Morrisons.

Poopscoop

Op, I can’t answer your questions directly but if the tin foil pants dont work I can hook you up with a good knob doctor.👍

PM me.

Me personally, I’m going skydiving next week with an home made parachute and ultra late deployment to clean The Shard’s windows.

As my heroine Truss recommends, I’m going to “hit the ground on my first day”.

thols2

Bacofoil will be fine. If you’re quick about it, you don’t really need PPE, just dash in and out.

Harry_the_Spider

IANANS

Deserves some credit. 10/10

Greybeard
    Free Member

You don’t need tinfoil for beta particles, just take a few beta-blockers. Don’t think there’s any useful medication for gamma and neutrons.

dissonance

Some really poor advice here.
    The correct answer is to find a gap year student studying nuclear physics and hire them to do the work. Make sure your lawyer gets the contract right so the university remains responsible for settling the lawsuit.

fruitbat

This is a job for the Assistant Reactor Safety Engineer (ARSE)

martinhutch

Don’t think there’s any useful medication for gamma and neutrons.

The best way to prevent the ingress of gammon particles is a good strong honey glaze.

ads678

Surely if Covid has taught us anything, it’s that making a face mask out of your old pants and wearing it so it’s tucked under your nose protects you from anything.

neila

Kit already exists, either NICIE or NICIE2 (New In Core Inspection Equipment) all done by cameras and trappanning of samples for external inspection under electron microscope. No lead pant required!

Poopscoop

neila
    Kit already exists, either NICIE or NICIE2 (New In Core Inspection Equipment) all done by cameras and trappanning of samples for external inspection under electron microscope. No lead pant required!

I think the op wants to use sun cream and a hammer. Let’s not kill his dream!

creakingdoor
    Free Member

either NICIE or NICIE2

Have they usurped Smashie & Nicie?

Poopscoop

creakingdoor
    Free Member
    csb

This is STW folks. The solution surely involves spoons, traffic cones and piss soaked shoes?

ocrider

In that case the only applicable answer to this thread is Sudocrem, unless it only works on cats.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Whatever you do make sure the tinfoil is SHINY SIDE OUT otherwise there will be a full Sunday lunch cooking in there.

footflaps

Footflaps, you are James Fisher and I claim my £5

Correct, we won the competitive tender with a quote for £200 + VAT.

With a 50% uplift if they want it done on a weekend.

fossy

Has to be bacofoil, no Tesco value foil, or else.

llama

Not as funny as the diving one, which was not very funny.

1/10

stingmered

gamma particles

???

IAANS…

zippykona

Will this help?
    null

stingmered

Having worked with James Fisher over the years I’m surprised that they’re even bothering with PPE… My firm is the world lead on reactor graphite inspection and sadly it’s all remote, no tin-foil undies required.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Footflaps, you are James Fisher and I claim my £5

Correct, we won the competitive tender with a quote for £200 + VAT.

With a 50% uplift if they want it done on a weekend.

What’s the call out penalty if/when the charge machine breaks down?

@neila
    should have known a dark sider would weigh in. Best not tell them folk actually do jump into the reactor and inspect the boilers.

multi21
    Free Member

Maybe you can pick up some tips from this video?

fooman

Factor 50 sunscreen unless you want to gain superpowers

Sandwich

hard hat, safety specs, coveralls, gloves and steel toe capped boots to be the minimum requirement just to allowed on site with anything extra as required by a risk assessment for that particular task.

Are you mad? No hi vis. HSE will lock you up and throw away the key.

dyna-ti

Oven gloves are really good at what they do. They’d be ideal for such a task.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is precisely what apprentices are for

Wearing the skin of an apprentice is frowned upon these days

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.