Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • NSPCC
  • iolo
    Free Member

They seem to put some very moving adverts on tv to get you to give them some money.
    Please don’t take this the wrong way but can somebody tell me what they actually do that differs from Social Services and government bodies?
    This is not meant as a dig at the NSPCC, just what is their within child cruelty.
    I’m they do an excellent job, just unsure as to what it is.

iolo
    Free Member

thanks. I should have looked closer really 🙄

bails

😀

footflaps

They seem to spend a lot of money remunerating their directors, hence they need to raise awareness to get lots of donations so they can afford their wage bill………

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Thet wrecked my chimney sweeping business !

iolo
    Free Member

One thing I’m struggling to get my head round is why isn’t the government undertaking everything the NSPCC is?
    If there was no NSPCC wouldn’t they have to care a bit more instead of depending on the fantastic services of the NSPCC which is after all a charity?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

One thing I’m struggling to get my head round is why isn’t the government undertaking everything the NSPCC is?
    If there was no NSPCC wouldn’t they have to care a bit more instead of depending on the fantastic services of the NSPCC which is after all a charity?

Some things are often better performed by people who are passionate about it, government types tend to be more interested in being government types than concentrating on the core business, unfortunatley may charitable organisations are become more like politicised lobby groups and missing the point of what they were originally set up to tackle, this is of course my own opinion and I do apologise if I have upset any self righteous, sanctimonious, hyper sensitive government types.

johndoh
    Free Member

Same could be asked of Cancer Research UK or BHF or Meningitis Trust or any one of the many small charity-run hospices up and down the country.

kimbers

because these things would need a lot more funding from the taxpayer and as seen from the school dinners thread some people are arseholes get really upset about contributing financially to improve the welfare of others.

* I am a disgruntled scientist whos worked for cancer and now cardiac charities for the last 15 yrs

bails

Some things are often better performed by people who are passionate about it, government types tend to be more interested in being government types than concentrating on the core business, unfortunatley may charitable organisations are become more like politicised lobby groups and missing the point of what they were originally set up to tackle, this is of course my own opinion and I do apologise if I have upset any self righteous, sanctimonious, hyper sensitive government types

I know what you’re getting at, but the people on the ground aren’t likely to be any less ‘passionate’ about it.

Being a social worker or some other job dealing with abused children can’t be a cakewalk, so if you’re going to go into it then you’re probably doing it because you care, regardless of who pays your wages. And if it’s ‘just a job’ then you’re unlikely to suddenly start caring if you’re working for the NSPCC rather than a child protection unit.

iolo
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    because these things would need a lot more funding from the taxpayer

But surely these services are currently being funded by the tax payer?
    I have a direct debit set up to the welsh air ambulance which is a charity close to my heart but really believe they shouldn’t have to struggle so much financially.

johndoh – Member
    Same could be asked of Cancer Research UK or BHF or Meningitis Trust or any one of the many small charity-run hospices up and down the country.

I totally agree. They all do a fantastic job but do they get the recognition they deserve from the Government? Probably not as Whitehall realize that there are willing volunteers collecting donations so do nothing to help.

It’s quite sad really.

piemonster

There are some well known and well liked charities out there, who are very active in fundraising that have a really bad habit of hoarding money and not spending it.

I totally agree. They all do a fantastic job but do they get the recognition they deserve from the Government? Probably not as Whitehall realize that there are willing volunteers collecting donations so do nothing to help.

Aye, but isn’t it also about keeping taxes down as well?

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/about-charities/sector-facts-and-figures/

There’s some big numbers in that lot, I doubt any Government would be keen on adding that to your tax bill.

piemonster

They seem to spend a lot of money remunerating their directors, hence they need to raise awareness to get lots of donations so they can afford their wage bill………

Although its difficult to quantify, Im under the impression that many charities require a ratio of income generation by their employees. Assuming they’re in fundraising.

Tbh I can’t remember what mine is, something like x3.5 minimum, but that figure goes through the roof for the directors.

iolo
    Free Member

@piemonster 😯

That money is phenomenal.

footflaps

I did read an article a while back saying the Directors were remunerated based on how much they raised rather than how many lives they helped. Basically they were a money raising machine first and a charity second. Probably an article in the Guardian.

MoreCashThanDash

With 20 years experience in child protection, my other half hates the NSPCC and their adverts with a passion but can never give me a coherent reason why 🙄

toppers3933
    Free Member

With 12 years experience in child protection social work my other half also dislikes the nspcc. And similarly I’m not entirely sure why.

footflaps

I know nothing about Child Protection but also dislike them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘NSPCC’ is closed to new replies.