Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • NP Mega – minimum steerer length?
  • mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Anyone with a mega know whether I could run a 1 1/8 steerer cut to 170mm with an external bottom cup?

I’m looking at a frame but have a set of 36s ready to go on it but need to know its not too short in the steerer tube, I wont be running many spacers anyway considering the A2C .

Many thanks in anticipation for your help
    Matt

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Headtube is quoted as 115mm
    External cup is +15mm

So that would leave you approx 40mm steerer, so depends on the clamp height of the stem and overall stack height of the headset.

A Renthal stem is one of the lower stack stems, at 40mm.

Personally I prefer the steerer to go all the way through the stem with a spacer above.

I’ll try to remember to measure my overall steerer tonight but it sounds close.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Cheers for that !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Should be able to run an internal headset if your steerer is 1 1/8, so should have loads of steerer.

iang2jones
    Free Member

building upa NP mega at the moment. Also have Fox 36s with a 1 1/8th steerer length of 170mm. I’ve got a Hope headset 2H (ext bottom cup)which is about 25mm stack height. I found that with 40 mm Thomson stem the steerer is about 5mm too short, with the hope top compression ring added. As long as I don’t use the compression cap its ok, but the steerer does not completely go to the top of the stem. Using a int bottom cup headset will be ok though, or maybe a stem with a 35mm stack height would be ok.

honourablegeorge

Yep – a 44mm internal headset, spot on. The Hope 2 upper and B lower, for example.

Recommended Fork length – 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup 44IISS, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70725

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70727

fivespot
    Free Member

Just measured mine, which has an external Hope lower and internal Hope upper headset….you will only be left with 30-32mm steerer showing. Not what I would feel safe with. If your 36’s have 1 1/8″ steerer, try an integral lower headset. I run my Mega with 150 Rev’s which I prefer over 160 Deville’s for the type of trail centre riding I do 8)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Hope internal bottom cup
    Nukeproof internal top cup
    5mm spacer
    40mm stack height stem
    Total – 174mm crown to stem top

So 169mm with no spacer and internal cup.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘NP Mega – minimum steerer length?’ is closed to new replies.