Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Now we’ve done front lights- Whats your choice of rear lights
  • twonks

I’ve just bought a Moon Comet X-Pro for the bike and a Cateye Orb for helmet duties.
    Went with the X-Pro version as it has a few mount options, allowing for 2 or 3 bikes to use the light without faff.

Both are USB rechargeable to save messing with batteries and the Moon in particular amazed me with the intensity. I made the mistake of looking directly at it whilst cycling through the modes. Damn it’s bright.

Both at a great price from Merlin.

momo

exposure TraceR with a saddle rail mount

whatgoesup

Any shouts for the Lezyne Zecto?

Unless they’ve upgraded the Zecto recently it’s not a patch on a TraceR especially for daylight use.

Davesport

I’ve got a selection of Smart 1W LED’s that have lasted for an eternity. Great little lights that aren’t the most waterproof but can be easily dried out & run on AAA’s. For a tenner I like these a lot. Comes with a versatile bracket that can be mounted on the seatpost or the back of your lid. I run two of these.

Lezyne Strip Drive. Solid light, rechargeable & has lasted about 4 years & still going strong. Downside is that the seatpost mount has it facing a downward angle. Still visible but not optimum.

MagicShine SeeMee 200. The brightest light & the most visible I’ve owned. Tons of modes including a brakelight function that I don’t use & a bright LED that illuminates the back of the bike when the ambient light is low. However! I bought two of these last year at Christmas. One of these failed after six weeks & was quickly replaced under warranty by something that looked decidedly 2nd hand. Then the other failed & was replaced after a few emails with a new one. Then the first replacement failed & I gave up chasing as my emails were going unanswered. Life being too short etc.

I’ve bought Mrs Davesport a set of Bontrager Ion/Flare 200’s for Christmas so I’ve got high hopes after reading the reviews. As yet; untested.

bikerevivesheffield

As a driver too the ones that do pulse flash are the worst to be behind as they ruin vision and make it hard to judge distance, solid red is by far the best to be seen with

J-R

Moon Comets on my MTBs. Never had a problem, easy to recharge. I have a Catseye battery powered light on the road bike – it’s fine but would probably replace with Moon Comet if it fails, unless this thread points to a clearly better option.

As a driver too the ones that do pulse flash

are much more noticeable in my opinion, especially in busy night time city streets where there is more risk of not noticing a single steady small red light.

bikerevivesheffield

Noticeable yes but hard to judge distance of cyclist

jimmy748

One of these from Amazon, mainly because it’s saddle rail mounted. All my bike the frame and seat clamp are below the top of the tyre.

I also have a Exposure Red Eye that plugs into my Diablo.

EBUYFIRE ultra Bright Smart Bike Tail Light,USB Rechargeable Brake Sensing Bicycle Light,High Intensity Rear LED Accessories Fits On Any Road Bikes.Easy to Install for Cycling Safety Taillights https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V6CFS8F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G9XNK58HWF265ARWJXNX

andrewreay

I gave up on cheep lights. They were forget falling off of their mounts / shaping hands. Or, water or muck would get in and ruin them.

Now use a TraceR on the road bike which is ok. Difficult to turn on and off. Saddle mount very neat and very resilient. Cold weather really seems to diminish battery life – down to just a couple of hours.

Moon Nebula on the MTB, also with a saddle mount. Was a bit underwhelmed taking it out of the box but has been flawless so far this winter in the wet and mud.

dyna-ti

I should have added im looking for one that will be used steady and in conjunction with the flashing Raleigh. So best running time, preferably rechargeable. I think something about 100-200 lumen would be better giving the flashing is more noticeable.

jkomo

Tracr, years old. I knackered the charge port, they fixed it for £12.
    It does the pulse thing which I prefer to flashing.
    Got a link on helmet also by exposure which I think is the perfect combo for the ten miles I do on dark country A road.
    I’ve also started using a cheapo px light on the cross bar aimed at the floor, it illuminates the water bottle and front triangle for side visibility and to actually see the water bottle.

funkmasterp

Another Trace R with under saddle mount here. Only run that and it seems to be enough

keithb

I’m with davesport on the smart lights.  Been using the brand for about 25years, and I’ve built up a good collection of brackets so can have them seat post and seat stay mounted on multiple bikes.  Not many lights seem to be able to be seatstay mounted which is one of my preferred options as a saddlebag user.

Also run a B+M secula on the mudguard of the road bike, and planning to fit one on the seatstay too.

I tend to run low level lights on constant. And high level ones on flashing.

ransos
    Free Member

Not many lights seem to be able to be seatstay mounted which is one of my preferred options as a saddlebag user.

This. And most of the usb lights won’t last for a full night’s ride.

whatgoesup

Not many lights seem to be able to be seatstay mounted

I’d like some decent options for this. Some people I ride with just mount a seatpost type clamp there and ride around with the light pointing at the sky not doing much… What solutions have folk come up with ?

desperatebicycle

And most of the usb lights won’t last for a full night’s ride

See.Sense Ace lasts over a week of commutes. If you’re doing 10 hr night rides, that’s something special 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had a Niterider Solaris 250 but it fell off somewhere on a ride, it was very bright but not as bright or as visible from the side as the Cateye Viz 300 I’ve now got. Think I paid £26 but just seen them on Rutland Cycling for £23.

snaps
    Free Member

On my commuter I’ve fixed a strip of red LED’s the full length of the seatpost with clear heat shrink & have a TraceR on the saddle rails.

easily
    Free Member

Has the TraceR only ever been available in red? If I could get black or yellow I’d have one by now.

renton
    Free Member

I use one of the original Moon Shield’s.

Really bright and has lasted years.

Will upgrade to the newest one when this eventually dies.

escrs
    Free Member

Anyone running a Cateye Wearable X Rear USB Rechargeable Bike Light ?

Need a rear light for my backpack and this seems to fit the bill (have a Exposure TraceR under the saddle)

cynic-al
    Free Member

not read the thread, I am a fan of rear lights that are large (and therefore visible) without being stupidly (in my view dangerously) bright.

Front lights – those that offer visibility and light up the road without dazzling other road users

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’d like a recommendation for a rack mounted, but releasable, usb chargeable light with built in reflector.

I can’t find something that ticks all the boxes.

FOG

I have a Magicshine (can’t remember model) which is nice and bright but just doesn’t last very long. It is particularly affected by temperature. I can get 2hrs in 7-8 degrees up but it barely reached 1.30 after being left in the garage at zero° for a couple of days. I always have to carry a spare when night riding

ransos
    Free Member

See.Sense Ace lasts over a week of commutes. If you’re doing 10 hr night rides, that’s something special 😀

Seat post mount only and a ten hour run time in flashing mode only. Which is pretty useless for overnight audaxes.

tomhoward

won’t last for a full night’s ride.

Not an ideal solution for many reasons (cost and weight for example) but a Hope district with a 6 cell battery will out last those 2 weeks of no sun they have near the North Pole, I reckon.

Edit. And some. 25 days, on the low setting, that’s with the 6 cell battery though, up to 200 hrs with the standard 2 cell battery.

jkomo

Part of my commute, about 8 miles is fast A road and the idea of the helmet light is to hoprfully help the driver gauge my position ahead, but also the 9 miles in town for the light to be visible above the cars. I also ride a short strip of dual carriageway where there is a rise, the helmet light I hope gives the cars sight of it when I’m over the other side.
    Normal road ride is just the Tracr on a saddle rail mount with the saddle bag under it.

ransos
    Free Member

Not many lights seem to be able to be seatstay mounted which is one of my preferred options as a saddlebag user.

This. And most of the usb lights won’t last for a full night’s ride.

I’ve been doing some research and I think the answer is a Bontrager Flare RT or Flare R. Adaptors are available for seat stays and mudguards, and the run time is 13.5 hours in low constant mode. Looks like a pretty good solution for overnight audaxes.

edhornby

I have a knogg one and an Evans own brand one, neither were expensive and both keep working despite year round commuting etc. had them both for at least 3 or 4 yrs. use one on pulse and one on solid so that drivers can perceive the distance as well as actually recognising that it’s not just another red light thing.

desperatebicycle

ten hour run time in flashing mode only

Wayyyy more than a 10 hour run time, but yeah, there’s no static setting, only flash.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Now we’ve done front lights- Whats your choice of rear lights’ is closed to new replies.