Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Now TV/Sky Go question
  • midlifecrashes

My dad has a sky package with sports. It’s pretty much all he watches. And given he is immobile and now housebound, and has outlived all his mates, watching tv is a big part of his life. He’s been very ill and yesterday went into a nursing home for respite or to see out his days.

We’ve sorted him out a new smart TV in his room, and the wifi is decent, so this morning I’ll go get a NowTV stick with a month’s Sports pass so he can have some sports back on.

If there’s a longer term, it seems more logical to use his sky package over the broadband at the home. It needs to be on the telly, not phone or tablet, as he doesn’t get on with small screens and low volume, and usable from a remote control. Any ideas what’s best? I’ve heard of Sky Go but it seems limited where you can install it.

Thanks as always.

fubar
    Free Member

We’ve sorted him out a new smart TV

are you sure the Now TV app is not available on the TV ? I find this is the easiest way of watching and no need to buy a stick (and switch TV source to the stick which can be a bit of a pain)

P-Jay
    Free Member

NowTv is pretty much only on WebOS TVs AFAIK, so LG Smart TVs.

TBH NowTV is good value, but the interface is pretty terrible across the board.

fubar
    Free Member

Didn’t realise Now TV wasn’t widely available – it is on my Samsung.

rogermoore

I have Now TV for SkySports only, current deal is £20 a month which expires at the end of Dec. I run it mainly from the inbuilt app on our Samsung TV – so all through one remote. Agree with P-Jay it’s a bit clunky and not as easy to use as the usual Sky interface. The main bit which is missing IMO is the planner/guide thing.
    RM.
    Edit: Sorry about your Dad, hope he gets the care he needs and that you are OK.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just cancel sky at home and use NowTV in both the home and at home when he returns?

grizedaleforest

Sky Go won’t work for you; it can’t cast, so you have to watch it on a phone or tablet. Sharkbait’s suggestion looks right.

chestrockwell

I was told it could be streamed from a ipad, iphone, etc to telly via Apple TV. Duff information?

mehr
    Free Member

Bit of a left field suggestion but you could get him a PS4 or an Xbox (though you may need gold with Xbox) and use the sky go app with that, you can set up HDMI-CEC to navigate about with the TV controller as well

Tracey

We have Sky Go on the laptop and phone. When we are out in the camper we can’t watch it on the TV frome the phone as it won’t let us do it. We can watch it from the laptop onto the tv via a hdmi lead but it won’t work with the remote.

midlifecrashes

Cheers all. Phase one is up and running with the NowTV stick and the month of Sky Sports. The JVC TV doesn’t have the NowTV or SkyGo app available, but with a bit of password sharing he now has Freeview+, Netflix, Prime, NowTV, iPlayer, ITV, 5, UKTV and Discovery. The tricky part is learning or being with it enough to learn new remotes and menus.

As for his care, I can’t fault it. Until the middle of the week he had carers 4x per day and community nurses 2x per week, GP home visits same day as requested. He didn’t take the hint and die last weekend when my nephew brought him his first great grandchild to visit and my brother flew in from the Bahamas, but struggled on and had a fall on Monday, prompting him to accept he wasn’t safe at home on Tuesday, and he was moved by Wednesday evening to a CQC outstanding home two miles from his house. All paid for by NHS/taxpayer, they recognise the alternative is a possibly long series of short admissions to very expensive acute wards and have gone several extra miles to support independent living as long as practical, and now additionally fund several months of end of life care outside the hospital. He won’t come to us (he did for 9 months, 6 years ago when a bad bug ate a chunk of his skull) or any of the other family so we’ve done what we can to help him stay home, but now it’s safety and dignity first.

chestrockwell

If you shop at Tesco you can use club card points for now tv too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Now TV/Sky Go question’ is closed to new replies.