Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Now, this is a nice story (paralympics content)
  • IHN
    beamers

Bit dusty in here.

matt_outandabout

Very small world.

Trimix
    Free Member

‘We all had a job to do, that’s what you did, that’s what I did, that’s what we all did.’

What a shame those that asked them to do the job are never the ones paying the price.

desperatebicycle

Wow, that’s some story.

scruff9252

Chalmers – whose full name is Lance Corporal John James Chalmers –

Is that the case that the rank you reach / serve in the military remains your full title even after you stop being a soldier? If so, you learn something new every day!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thought it was only officers with 15 years service in the UK.

beamers

From Debretts:

Retired and Former Army Officers
    Field marshals, whether promoted while serving or in retirement, continue to use this rank.

Other regular officers who attained the substantive rank of captain and above may use, and be addressed by, their rank on retirement from the Army.

It is not accepted practice for retired officers of the Reserve to use or be addressed by their rank on retirement unless employed in a civilian capacity in a Ministry of Defence establishment.

The word ‘retired’ (or ‘retd’) should not be added after an officer’s name in ordinary correspondence or in lists, but only when it is specifically necessary to indicate that an officer has retired, for example one employed in a civilian capacity in a Ministry of Defence establishment to avoid confusion with serving officers.

MoreCashThanDash

Meanwhile, back to the point of the thread, that’s a very emotional read.

franksinatra

I spend a lot of time despairing at politicians, Daily Mail readers, Brexit supporters, racists and generally crap people who seem to dominate the news. Then, every now and again, I read an article like this and it helps reset my faith in humanity. Sure, it would have been better if he hadn’t been blown up, but the rest of it is awesums.

beamers

Meanwhile, back to the point of the thread, that’s a very emotional read.

+1

Cougar

Good god, that’s some story. Thanks for the share.

Though I did initially jump to an entirely different conclusion of J Chalmers being on an aircraft.

grum
    Free Member

That is a cool story.

As an aside, in an old job I used to get phone calls from a guy who’s account name started with Wing Commander. He was legit but I’m pretty sure in the past you used to be able to just put down whatever prefix you wanted when applying for credit cards etc – not sure if you still can. 🙂

leffeboy

Thanks for that.  It’s brilliant to know there are people just getting on with being lovely as part of who they are each day

Sandwich

Very small world.

I wouldn’t want to undercoat it though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Now, this is a nice story (paralympics content)’ is closed to new replies.