Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Now the fire service personnel are due to strike
  • project
    Free Member

It appears they are planing to strike in September, who is next, we have had the BA crews, the BAA, lot, and many others,and they only caused slight disruptions.

Who will be next.

If it was the local council workers, possibly nobody would notice the difference, but the fire people, peoples homes wil burn down, and people will die.

jon1973
    Free Member

I didn't think they were allowed to strike. I do remember this happening when I was a kid though. We had the 'green goddess' army fire engines filling in in our area.

Xylene
    Free Member

School teachers I imagine.

Kids will go uneducated, procreate madly and end up on the dole………hmmmm.

allthepies
    Free Member

Jeez, is someone planning to stop their second jobs ?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

That's nice of them.

Now the British Army, already overstretched and very often paid less than firemen will have to step in to provide cover and put themselves at enhanced risk by using clapped out kit because they're not trained to use the lovely shiny Fire Service gear.

I can't believe striking isn't illegal for the emergency services, it should be.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yes, because its not like Trumpton have ever been on strike before is it? Just look at the devastation caused last time, and the time before that, oh, and the time before that… oh, maybe not after all eh!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we have had the BA crews, the BAA, lot, and many others,and they only caused slight disruptions.

Have BAA gone on strike ? BA crews certainly took limited strike action, but who are the "many others"

If it was the local council workers, possibly nobody would notice the difference

Possibly because there aren't many council workers left ?

Project – does a day ever pass when you don't take a swipe at public sector workers ?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I am?
    Really?
    hmmm. Why am I the last to know?

scaredypants

BA, BAA, … ?

can't imagine who it'll be next, Bristol Association of Ardent Anglers must be worth a punt

(or maybe this lot)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why am I the last to know?

Because unlike project you don't read the Daily Mail ?

BelfastAndy
    Free Member

I'm in work, looking at the FBU notice board, there's nothing about us going on strike, where'd you see/hear this Project?

A.

Pieface

Didn't they strike in 2001 or so?

project
    Free Member

BelfastAndy – Member
    I'm in work, looking at the FBU notice board, there's nothing about us going on strike, where'd you see/hear this Project?

A.

Posted 59 seconds ago # Report-Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11043768

London Town to start with and im sure there where other counties as well

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

They haven't announced strikes then, just a ballot on industrial that could result in strike action

project
    Free Member

Also

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-10736478

Apologies for the Daily Mail type headline.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

London firefighters to vote on industrial action

So it's just London. And they haven't decided yet.

Still, why let the facts stop you from having a swipe at public sector workers, eh project ?

El-bent
    Free Member

They haven't announced strikes then, just a ballot on industrial that could result in strike action

Never let the facts get in the way of a half-arsed reactionary right wing rant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

just a ballot on industrial that could result in strike action

That's too long for project to wait.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If only we could privatise the fire service……

project
    Free Member

It was until the second world war i believe.

BelfastAndy
    Free Member

from the BBC article…

The union said it will ballot about 6,000 members in the capital on action short of a strike.

A.

l45key
    Free Member

Believe me after the last successful strike, you'll not find a lot of FF's willing to do it again!

First I heard about it as well.

backhander
    Free Member

That's nice of them.

Now the British Army, already overstretched and very often paid less than firemen will have to step in to provide cover and put themselves at enhanced risk by using clapped out kit because they're not trained to use the lovely shiny Fire Service gear.

I can't believe striking isn't illegal for the emergency services, it should be.

+1 and corrected

Woody
    Free Member

What are the proposals ? All I can find are 'longer days and shorter nights' whatever that means!

meehaja
    Free Member

In fairness, I don't know the fire situation but within the ambulance service we have umpteen reasons to strike. All leave from august to october cancelled? Contractual pay rises not granted? Its all well and good saying the emergency services shouldn't be able to strike, but did you ever stop to wonder why? Yeah the fire service have a pretty good deal, but they wouldn't gamble that on a whim. there was a big kick off in south yorks recently about shift changes and everyone said "its so they can work two jobs". Could also be so they can look after their kids/care for relatives/ have some quality of life? no one joins the emergency services for the benefits, but imagine if all you IT workers lost all your perks over night. Would you stand for it?

Drac

So not striking at all then, sounds more of working to rule and only in London.

The Fire Service is going through big changes again mainly from the knock on from the last strike, no not the one in the 70s, the settled but not with out some 'compromise' on short of what the fool leader of the FBU promised them.

I'd say their members will be cautious this time after that mess.

Woody
    Free Member

meehaja

What's the reason for the leave situation and were people forced to cancel holidays?

IanMmmm
    Free Member

@ernie_lynch

Possibly because there aren't many council workers left ?

Have you seen this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11034769

If a 12% efficiency increase in local government workers could result in 500,000 fewer jobs being needed, this means that there are approximately 4,000,000 people employed in local government, which is still quite a few I think.

To give this some context, there are approximately 1.5 million employees in the NHS.

TooTall
    Free Member

backhander – Member

That's nice of them.

Now the Armed Forces, already overstretched and very often paid less than firemen will have to step in to provide cover and put themselves at enhanced risk by using clapped out kit because they're not trained to use the lovely shiny Fire Service gear.

Corrected for accuracy. It was a Joint effort – not just the Army – when the idle, change-resistant inefficient firemen last went out, put lives at risk and had to be covered by more capable people who got on with the job in hand with surprisingly effective results.
    The police aren't allowed to strike – how the back-sliding firemen get away with it is beyond me.

STATO
    Free Member

this means that there are approximately 4,000,000 people employed in local government, which is still quite a few I think.

who do you think writes all the 'out to lunch' and 'closing early' signs?

stumpyjon

– management consultancy Knox D'Arcy.

Junior staff in local authorities were, on average, productive only 32% of the time during working hours

To put it in context the private sector only manages 44%, but thats still 37% better.
    – Dave Prentis

It is a red herring to compare private and public sector productivity

I'd agree with that, expectations of productivity in the public sector should be much higher than the private sector. The public sector provides vital services (or so we keep being told) and has a monopoly on providing those services the price they chose, plus there's no ultimate sanction. In the private sector in most cases people can take their business elsewhere and ultimately a very inefficient business will go bust.
    – Dave Prentis

How can you measure the productivity of a care worker and compare it with a car worker on a production line?

Quite easily really, that care worker will have set tasks to do during the working shift which hopefully will include quality contact time with the residents. Time not spent doing these duties is ineffieicency. Typical emotive example chosen to try and make out the public sector is somehow special. You're not. You have a job to do, do it efficiently with professionalism and pride, it's the least tax payers ought to be able to expect. You're not the only ones seeing perks, benefits and basic wage deflation, the difference is most people in the private sector undersatnd to some extent you only have the job if your customers are willing and able to pay your bill.

anagallis_arvensis

School teachers I imagine.

Kids will go uneducated, procreate madly and end up on the dole………hmmmm.

cant see teacher striking just yet, we can stomach a pay freeze. Start messing with pensions and the dogs of war would be unleashed though.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I work in the private sector, however my friend is a parmedic in london and she gets screwed hard. She works 6/7-6 and apart from once I've never know her to finish before 7, she gets a minimal wage, around £20k a year for living in london (she is classed as a studnet paramedic) and only gets the minimum holiday they can get away with.

Some of the shift patterns are horrible too. 6-6 nights thursday to monday. Try having a social life outside of that.

Drac

Ian your friend is having her course paid for is earning more than £20k that I promise and gets 8 weeks holidays a year. Oh and she's not a Paramedic but that's pedantic.

Drac

The shift patterns for 12 hour workers give you a good social life. You get plenty of time off from working so many hours, if they don't like the unsocial hours then your in the wrong job.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

As a country lad, I think it reinforces the respect for all the retained firefighters – up and down the country people do it for the benefit of the community rather than 30k per year, whilst working their proper jobs too.

just like the RNLI, just like Special constables too, and all the other emergency services like cave and mountain rescue… sort of makes you wonder if we even need full time firefighters being paid 30k plus to sit watching videos and working out in the on site gym all evening on the off chance they'll get called out…

"Some of the shift patterns are horrible too. 6-6 nights thursday to monday. Try having a social life outside of that."
    Not everyone's social life revolves around going to the pub on Saturday night.

Drac

only gets the minimum holiday they can get away with.

This bit is still making me laugh.

The good thing about the NHS is they now have some pretty good websites providing lots of info, like the LAS which gives us this info.

What benefits will I receive?

To give you an idea, here are the current pay levels for a student paramedic working in outer London, and doing the full range of shifts*:

* Year 1 £21,311 inc. (during initial 26-week course) rising to £25,785 inc.
    * Year 2 £27,507 inc.
    * Year 3 £29,228 inc.
    * On qualification as a paramedic £29,884 inc.

*This salary is basic pay plus outer London high cost area supplement and full (25 per cent) unsocial hours enhancement.

You will also receive a number of other benefits.

* A minimum of 27 days' holiday each year, increasing with service.
    * New NHS employees from April 2008 will be eligible to join the Amended NHS Pension Scheme which provides membership to a final salary scheme with pension linked to pay near retirement. Other benefits include life assurance, dependent benefits, voluntary early retirement, ill-health retirement benefits and the option to increase retirement benefits.
    * Access to a round-the-clock employee assistance programme.
    * Personal and professional development and training opportunities.
    * Interest-free travel season ticket loan.
    * Childcare voucher scheme.
    * Access to NHS discounts, offering NHS employees a range of money-saving deals.
    * Access to occupational health and counselling services.

konabunny
    Free Member

* A minimum of 27 days' holiday each year, increasing with service.

…right. Which is a day below the statutory minimum for the private sector.

"You are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks' holiday a year. This is called statutory holiday. To work out how many days holiday you can take a year, you need to multiply 5.6 by the number of days you work in a week.

For example:

* if you work a five-day week, you are entitled to 28 days' paid holiday a year (5.6 X 5)."

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/holidays_and_holiday_pay.htm

FoxyChick
    Free Member

ZuluEleven…are you so stupid as to think retained don't get paid? Retained firefighters do it purely and simply for the money and are now taking work from full-time firefighters.
    MrFC is a firefighter and he does not earn £30.
    He does not have another job.
    What a load of gobshites on this forum!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Now the fire service personnel are due to strike’ is closed to new replies.