Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Now i'm not a racist, but……
  • Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Cut-n-paste

Take a tradition from another culture, another part of the world.

Impose it onto a culture in a location that hasn't experienced it before, and what do expect ?.

There was dislike of the traditions and ways we brought with us when we expanded empire and to my mind, whenever you introduce something different into an established culture, there will be complaints.

I've lived in a country where nearly everyone was islamic, and the call to prayer was going off all through the day. Never heard a church bell though.
    Never thought to mention it to anyone either.
    It was their culture, their way and while I lived in their country, I accepted it, I repsected their ways, the ways of the people and their culture, in that place…

Loads of noise from a tall tower isn't really 21st century is it.
    I've just spotted a market for islamic watches and clock alarms.
    Watches and clocks with the prayer times set as default. Just better ensure the alarm isn't too loud though…

So, complain through the proper channels, but do so about church bells and the call to prayer. After all, noise is noise and if its happening to close to you, then something ought to be done. Not because its a church or a mosque, but just from a noise pollution point of view.

I see this as a practical issue regarding noise, no need to bring it down to an arguement related to religious worship, imo.

CC.

Drac

I think gassing the Kurds was a tad naughty though.

I don't know merely grumbling about them is far worse, Joe has a point.

binners

Try living next door to a muslim fundamentalist. Its no bloody fun. The **** next door to me used to feel the need to broadcast the call to prayer every time he prayed. This usually coincided with the exact moment my daughter had just gone to slep.

He wouldn't listen to reason on the subject (they tend to be quite uncompromising types) so I started my own religion worshiping lemmy, and my call to prayer was Ace of Spades at ridiculous volume.

Perhaps you should try that?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

CC – your cut and paste is from the real world of which this forum is not a part 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

mk1fan – Member

If it's relgious based is it xenophobia not racism?

in this case i think it's just NIMBYism

touche

DezB
    Free Member

There was dislike of the traditions and ways we brought with us when we expanded empire

Yeah, cos that's the same 😕

jojoA1
    Free Member

In Cairo there is a campaign to get rid of all the different muezzins calling people to prayer from the loudspeakers in their respective minarets and replace them with one coordinated broadcast of the call to prayer. This is because all the thousands of different calls to the different mosques, some live, some recorded, all at slightly different times and the competitions between respective muezzins as to who can call the loudest are creating an annoying noise pollution in the city. So they don't even like the noise themselves sometimes. But as people have said, if we can ring church bells etc, then singling out some similarly purposed but culturally different noise as unacceptable does smack of intolerance based on race/culture/creed.

In a city, there are much worse and more annoying sounds than a call to prayer. I think you need to chill.

soobalias
    Free Member

since when is "thats a horrible noise" a racist comment?

now if you had written.

"those d***** m** f****'* w***** t*** i*********** p** s*** g*** o**** **** all the f***** time"
    that could be considered racist

alpin
    Free Member

grynch – Member

who am I to say?.. me?.. I'm a yank.. *L*

BURN HIM!!!

i had a class last week and we talked about the whole minaret/switzerland thing and the majority of the people agreed with the result (this is a class in germany). but, as one guy said, if they were to hold the ballot anywhere else in europe, do you think the result would be any different?

i'd vote for a NO against the building of minarets. but, i'd also vote NO to the future building of any religious building (other than the one the Dalai Lama follows, he's cool).

and as grynch said, the tolling of the bells every hour. i live about 50 yards from a bell tower. DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG!!!! I know it's 12 o'clock; i've got a watch. and there is no love in the tolling. at least with anglican churches they give you a nice tune before hand DING DONG DONG DING, DING DONG DONG DONG, followed by DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING. here it's just DING DING DING DING, DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG.

but, as said above, do you really think the authorities would be tolerant of church bells in Tunisia, Ridyah or Mashad?

scruff
    Free Member

The Gypos by me keep driving round and round with their horn going to entice any scrap metal into their filthy untaxed uninsured truck. It p1553s me off.
    We thankfully dont have any noisy Muzzers round my way, so I cant really complain about them. Although the kids soccer team on the field is a bit noisy.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

For christs sake scruff, tell me you're just trying to be ironic.

grynch
    Free Member

alpin – Member

grynch – Member

who am I to say?.. me?.. I'm a yank.. *L*

BURN HIM!!!

alpin?… I beg your pardon.. don'cha know you're speaking to a citizen of the greatest country on earth… our President just won the Nobel Peace Prize ya'know.

*ducking*

grynch
    Free Member

*here goes a whole 'nother argument*

iDave
    Free Member

i'm with scruff on this. used to phukin hate sunday footballers in the playing fields next to my house. gobby hairy arses and their shouty hangers on. give me a mosque anyday.

Dobbo

A Jehovah Gypo Witness ringing a bell while kicking a ball would be getting to about the lowest of the low.

HairyHarry
    Free Member

what has racism got to do with Muslim bells anyway? you can be any colour, skin tone of whatever to be Muslim! what a pointless thread

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

MMW. Yes, very good point 🙂

CC.

julianwilson
    Free Member

In my nan's village in the pyrenees the church bells play the 'angelus' at 0730 and about 1930 every single day. Thi is essentially a call to prayer too and about not far off the mosques in terms of volume, length and 'insistence'! The locals like it (this is the kind of rural village where you might have been so poor you didn't own a watch or clock in the 20's and 30's) and the rich folk from Toulouse and Bordeaux with holiday homes want the bells stopped. The bells are still going. 😀

IIRC they banned the sounding of all church bells in the USSR, I forget if it was uinder Lenin or Stalin. It was a 'distraction' from the communist cause.

Dobbo

what has racism got to do with Muslim bells anyway? you can be any colour, skin tone of whatever to be Muslim! what a pointless thread

What a pointless post.

It's not about muslim bells its about mosque chanting and noise pollution. The OP doesn't even mention Muslim or bells.

bomberman
    Free Member

I think he's got the wrong end of the stick

Anyway on the bright side the chants stopped a while ago and now i can hear a wood pigeon.

Now where's my gun? 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

bomberman – if you'd followed up the post title with 'I think we should send them back to where they came from' or something along those lines, we could have all reared up and started flinging threats and accusations. As it is, I'm just left with a feeling of impotent rage. I am dissapointed, to say the least 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not a racist but I quite like yoghurt.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I suffer with a lactose intolerance, and am deeply offended by your frankly dairyist remarks BigDummy!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If i remember the local to me (at the time) mosque applied for a license to broadcast the call to prayer over a loudspeaker.
    It was refused on the grounds of noise pollution because it would be electrically amplified whereas the local church bells were not (something like that anyway).

GrahamS

I once stayed a couple of nights in Shah Alam (Malaysia).

Lovely place, but the hotel was pretty much opposite the second largest mosque in South East Asia.

We didn't get a lot of sleep!

I'm sure if *insert chosen deity* were to be walking the earth now he'd be shaking his/her/its/their head and saying "Oh Me, why are they still using bells/chants/gongs/holy-trumpets when verily I have blessed them with alarm clocks and text messages"

BigJohn

I don't mind them ringing the church bells near us on Sunday mornings, because I'm up and out riding, but Christmas Day for Christ's sake!!!

enfht
    Free Member

Broadcasting to the local inhabitants that "there is no God except Allah" via loadspeaker however many times a day is a tad devisive and bears no resemblance to Church Bells imo. Couple that with an ever-growing portion of UK-based Muslims pushing for Sharia and even the most steadfast Guardian loony should be concerned.

And we're talking religeon not race ffs

IanMunro
    Free Member

Most evening's I get young naked women dancing in the woods opposite worshipping whatever wica people worship. If other religions started doing this rather than dinging dongs or wailing, the world would be a lot nicer.

Merlinman

When I was working, we reached agreement with the local mosque to regulate the volume of calls to prayer – everyone seemed happy.

I think it's not uncommon now to do this?

The bellwankers are worse IMHO…..

Dobbo

Can I worship at your church Ian? 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    ……… Couple that with an ever-growing portion of UK-based Muslims pushing for Sharia and even the most steadfast Guardian loony should be concerned.

And your evidence for this particular piece of racist claptrap

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

how about if i let the naked women ding my dong?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

HOOORAY

TJ's here, and i've just got a fresh cup of coffee and the cakes have arrived

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJs not well and can't be bothered.

I did read the thread and most of it is simply nimbyism of the daily wail sort.

Just enfit had to go beyond good old british moaning with his paranoid fantasies

Dobbo

TandemJeremy – Member

And your evidence for this particular piece of racist claptrap

I thought I'd google "UK Sharia" to see what it comes up with, maybe you should have done the same before your post.

allyharp

RE: Church spires

This is a horrific looking church in Glasgow.

Look up and see the horrid spire/tower thing they have going on 😐

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i googled it, the first thing that came up was an article about Mr Bean saying it was unavoidable.

nowhere in the article did he state that we should all build anderson shelters in our garden and prepare to invade the entire middle east

enfht
    Free Member

TJ only you resort to personal attacks and when ffs will you stop confusing race and religeon.

So I'm paranoid by stating FACTS. ho hum

I do have fantasies but none include anything related to this thread.

EDIT: Correction, they may indeed include naked women dancing in the woods

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where are your facts then? Facts – not the wofflings of another religious zealot or paranoid fantasies from the far right. We already have religous courts in the UK – Judasim and Catholics have them along with non religious ones suvh as the BMA

Hatred of Islamics is racism by generally accepted definitions.

You have much previous on this for being a racist

enfht
    Free Member

IF I were racist I would quite rightly be banned from the forum.

TJ you need to disable your Left-wing filter in Google and look again my blinkered friend.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Now i'm not a racist, but……’ is closed to new replies.