• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jag61.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Nottingham Outlaw Triathlon 2014 this weekend
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Stumbled across another stwer who’s doing this on Sunday. Anyone else daft enough or is it just the two of us? (and 1448 other people).

oldnick

I’m not, but the Outlaw Sunday morning is my favourite each year.
    No traffic past my flat in Southwell, just the whirr of freewheels as they approach the mini roundabout 🙂
    Not so keen on the 50% or so who put their inside pedal down for said turn, and look out for the subsided bit of road repair about 30m before the mini roundabout.
    Have a good one Onzadog 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nick, I’ll be on a kinesis tripster with discs, give me a wave as I go by! I know the roundabout well and my pedal will be in the right place. Cyclist first, triathlete second (as will be appart by my finish time).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richardk
    Free Member

I did it in 2012 🙂 best race I’ve ever done. Fantastic atmosphere all the way round the bike and the run.

It’s being televised on August 23rd (I think), so wave to all the cameras. Especially Chris at the finish line as he’ll be running backwards quicker than you run forwards.

If the dragon boat festival is on at the far point of the run (near a football stadium?) then it’s hard work running bast the beer and BBQs up there!

I managed 12.5hrs, knocking 3hrs off my previous Ironman distance time, so its a fast course.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

How did you get on Onzadog?

I finished in 12:53.

The swim was a bit ugly and messy! But I was bang on my target of 1:18

Paced the bike perfectly at 6:07

And.I managed to run the whole marathon which was my first ever marathon, and after fracturing a metatarsal with 6 weeks to go I was worried that I might DNF.

Well happy overall. Not a bad day out. The support out on the bike course was amazing!

Everything hurts today…….apart the bits that are still numb!

StuF

I spent all day on a bike feed station (32 & 96 miles in) then popped over to cheer people on at the finish.

Great event – very inspiring but not wholly convinced I want to enter it though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

StuF, you and other volunteers really made the day. No idea how you all stayed so high all day! Massive help.

Mary, I had a really really bad start to the day. Rear tyre went down over night (tubeless). Put a tube in, then tyre popped off and blew the tube to reveal a snapped bead. Race director let me into the tfn tent to get a tyre. Scrounged another tube, which had a hole in it, then another!

Friend helped me rush into my wetsuit as I’m in a panicked sweat and they’re calling a 5 minute warning for the start!

Swim was good at 1:13, bike computer let me down so I had to pace the by feel. Got around in 5:44. Never run a marathon before let along after 7 hours of other stuff. Did it in about 4:40 I think. Gave a total of 11:52:37. Pretty pleased with that for a first go.

No blisters, no injuries, a little red but not burned and stiff today but not as bad as I expected. Grand day out.

StuF

Onza – feed station duty is a great buzz – most athletes really thankful – apart from the odd one who tries to grab bottles without slowing from 25 mph+.

I’d definitely recommend it, + free entry to the big swim the day before and now I’ve got at least a years supply of high5 that was left over and plenty of bottles 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

The way I’m feeling this morning, I think I might volunteer next year rather than compete. I only messed up two bottles grabs yesterday.

StuF

Yeah – but it must have been a fantastic feeling to cross the line – along with a good time.

I was feeling for all the runners that were still going out on the run for the second lap well after a lot of people had finished – some looked very broken.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That lap around the lake was the worst bit of the run and more so every time I did it. That’s where the heat really got to you.

Crowds were amazing. At the end, I was struggling to hold 11 minute miles but the roar of the crowd down the red carpet really increased the pace.

Very pleased with that time, especially for a first go and being an old fate (40 – 44 group).

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Great work Onzadog, cracking time that!

And those laps of the lake were torture.

I’m in a slightly higher age bracket being a granddad!

And StuF – the marshalling was legendary everywhere. Thanks putting in a long day mate. Maybe I’ll hand you a bottle next year when our roles are reversed 😉

finbar
    Free Member

Having done it in 2010 and 2011, I’m almost (almost!) jealous of you all yesterday.

However having got slower year-on-year (10:15 to 10:25), I didn’t want to risk a third go it.

bigdean

There were some very tired faces riding up the a617 towards farsfield turn off. To think they did a marathon afterwards is amazing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bloody he’ll finbar, not sure I could imagine going 90 minutes faster yesterday.

joat

The support was great. Even though we were only on our Sunday morning club run and accidentally merged with the route a couple of times. We didn’t take advantage of the offered bottles though, promise. I like the idea of it, it’s just that I can’t be bothered to run and I’d probably still be floundering in the water. Well done to all you forumites.(cap doffed).

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Do you live on Westgate then old nick?
    Must be somewhere around there by your description!

Looked a great race yet again-pleased i was back ‘home’ for it this year-my sister got married at the Minster on Saturday, so stayed over & watched it for a while near the white post.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Joat, I’m no runner. Not that long ago, I’d get shin splints a few days in to couch to 5k. Just found the right physio and built up gradually.

Two years ago, I could manage a length in the pool, then hang off the side gasping for breath.

It’s amazing what some coaching and training can do.
    I’d encourage any on who’s curious to give it a go. There’s only one way to know if you could do it.

joat

Onzadog stop it. I have a habit of signing up to silly challenges.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Joat, sounds like you’re half way there already.

jag61

we spent sat and sunday supporting mrs g It was a fantastic event the amount of effort from competitors and marshalls incredible… Mrs G arrived in 15;00;17 massively proud,shes has now ridden further than I ever have and run a marathon which I can accurately say is very low on my bucket list well done granny Mandy and thanks for all spectators/supporters for helping her and all round 😀 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Nottingham Outlaw Triathlon 2014 this weekend’ is closed to new replies.