Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • not losing any weight despite exercise (lots of)??
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

Well, all I know is that due to family pressures, lack o training and massive intake of sugar, cakes and biscuits I was 13 stone, always had been 11 @ 5'10". So, took up running – quicker to do than long slow cycling miles (I'm an old roadie at heart) cut out all sugar (that's been hard) and upped my intake of good stuff – fish, fruit, wholemeal carbs, etc, etc. Now 6 months on, running 40 miles a week and back down to 11 stone again. It's easy – eat less work out more. Makes a hell of a difference climbing on the bike. It's not dieting, just a better way of living.

firestarter
    Free Member

i ballooned up to 13_10 after getting lazy at 5'10" pix weeks ago i thought i better do something about this so cut out most of my bread and cheese. I luv bread and cheese by the way lol. Ate smaller portions and more fruit. I snack on fruit during the day and eat little often after six weeks im now 12_4. Ive not upped my exercise as ive a lot on my plate ate the min. Not my dinner plate mind. But will be doing so soon :-)less in more out easy

Keva
    Free Member

It's not dieting, just a better way of living.

yup – agree 101% I love eating healthy food as I know I'm going to feel good afterwards… I hate eating crap food as I know it makes me feel shite.

Kev

G
    Free Member

Food and drink = Fuel

Fat = Method of Storing excess Fuel

Conclusion = Too much Fuel going in in relation to fuel being used.

Don't know, but a rough guess would be cut out booze, and also look at all the foods you consume. Anything with more than 3% fat give a miss. Be on the watch for high sugar content too.

Keep up the exercise , cut down on the pies and pints = All cushty

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

dr-death, can you explain to me then why after 5 weeks with an immobile broken leg I still have minor love handles (where men store fat), but the muscle has visibly gone from my broken leg? If it hasnt been metabolised where is it? And if people stop weight training (had to do that to) where does it all go? Surely it wont be metabolised until Ive burnt every last gram of body fat and stored carbs off?

thejesmonddingo

I suggest you all read "Dieting makes you fat"by Geoffrey Cannon,in which he explains why dieting causes weight loss,but not fat loss,it's a good read,backed up by research.You don't need a diet,just eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg,and cut down on fats and sugars,coz they're loaded with calories.I'd aim to increase the exercise up to 7 hours a week,and slowly increase the intensity.Dr death et al are right,if you're using more calories than you take in,you'll lose weight,but you need to maintain the exercise level.
    Ian

Solo
    Free Member

Dr D.

You describe what happens in realtime, perhaps during a prolonged exercise session, physical event.

However, I was describing what may happen if the author of this thread was to cut out protein from there daily diet, indefinately. And so was suggesting that they should not cut-out carbs or protein, as a change to there daily diet.

Agree with TJD, "dieting" isn't the answer, but one must change ones diet, permanently. No six months on low-cal diet greul, then back to the pies. It should be a change, forever.

So Dr D, please keep your b*ll*#ks to yourself, over a time frame of hours, your description of events isn't bad. But we're discussing a change of intake, for life. And if you cut protein from your diet, totally, the body will get it from what it already has. The breakdown of muscle tissue is a constant, ongoing process, and if you don't use it, you lose it.

Yes, its simple, more cals in, than are actually used, leads to fat storage, etc.

Thats it, I've no more to offer, and the weather is too good to spend time arguing here.

Cheers.

🙂

Solo.

tankslapper
    Free Member

GI diet? It certainly worked for me and made a pile of sense.

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/

By cutting out ordinary bread and replacing it with a pumpernickel one and generally going low as opposed to medium and certainly not high GI I gradually lost weight yet didn't starve myself.

I would also suggest that 4 x 1 hour sessions is not enough. You need to go for long bike rides, or at least rides where you put in REAL fat burning efforts – the sort of efforts where you have difficulty speaking for short bursts.

Hope this helps – can only quote from personal experience

iDave
    Free Member

Maybe after each post say what qualifies you to post on the subject as there is so much crap on the thread I need a new roll of andrex. losing fat isn't a complex task, it's just a personally difficult challenge.

unfortunately the armchair experts who have read some bollox written by a journalist are just clouding the water.

say's iDave – lectured to Hons degree level in exercise physiology and coaching science, coached at olympic level, written 2 books in 3 languages on exercise and fitness, presented at conferences in 3 continents and might be qualified to contribute something valuable. and doesn't give a shit about being called an arrogant ****.

renton
    Free Member

iDave can you give me some hints and tips then on losing some weight !

After riding less, being generally idle and eating/drinking too much I got to 15st (just under 6ft) and decided to do something about it.

A new bike has given me the drive to get out more and I'm doing 2-3 2hr rides per week. I've also sorted my diet out. Rather than a bacon butty every morning I have toast and allow myself one butty a week (usually the morning after a ride). I've stopped having sandwiches at lunchtime and have some pasta, fruit, or fish and I'm generally eating smaller quantities and plenty of water. The key point I think though, is my evening meal. I generally don't have one and I'm not missing it. I would normally sit down at 7pm and eat so much I felt like I was going to burst and usually felt uncomfortable for the rest of the evening. If I do get hungry, I'll have some cereal, or fruit, or some other healthy(ish) snack. I think eating when hungry and not at a specific time has a lot of benefits.

I now have more energy and feel loads better in myself. In fact, on the rare occassion that I have some fast food, it makes me feel awful, stodged and lethargic. I still drink far too much alcohol though

Oh, and I've lost a stone and a half in just over a month.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘not losing any weight despite exercise (lots of)??’ is closed to new replies.