Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Noticeable differences between rim widths?
  • dirkpitt74

Currently running 23mm internal width rims on my 650b Nukeproof Scout with 2.4″F and 2.25″R tyres set up tubeless.

Been offered a set of 29mm internal width rims – will I notice any difference?

I assume it’ll just square off the profile of the tyre a bit more.

mattbee

Yes. It may effect clearance too.

Going 21 to 30 on my Meta meant changing tyres as the shoulder knobs were pushed out enough to contact the chain stay.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yes going around corners your tyres won’t feel like they’ll come off.

For me it’s made a massive difference to grip and feel of ground contact,
    I’ve gone from hope enduro rims to some dtswiss 30mm on a trail bike and it just beefens up the ride,

on my lefty f29er going from 23mm to 26mm has definately inspired confidence (2.1 to 2.25 tyre) some weight penalty but my times are getting quicker, and far better handling berms and fast trails in the woods

weeksy

Not for me. I’ve got 23s and i had Hope 35W’s…. bike felt the same to me…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends if you ride at lower pressures to maximize grip – the extra width will allow lower pressures.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes going around corners your tyres won’t feel like they’ll come off.

Depends if you ride at lower pressures to maximize grip – the extra width will allow lower pressures.

What these people said.

Less squirming and rolling in corners, if like me you err towards lower pressures.

Changed from 25mm internal to 30mm when I went to boost hub widths – didn’t expect a huge difference but have been pleasantly surprised.

And you can go for bigger volume tyres when it’s time to change.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    Good point about clearance at the rear – will check and see as my frame is 142 and not boost.

malteser
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped to some considerably wider Halo Vortex wheels and the difference is crazy, so much stiffer and supportive. The thing just rolls now.

VanHalen

it will make teh trails come alive, or something, maybe not.

depends on how good you are if you can notice. i imagine not but i`m basing this on a my mediocre skill level and 3 short rides on some ‘wider than before’ rims… 23-27mm internal and a gammy ankle. same tyres.

iainc

i swopped the original 21mm carbon Giant rims on my Anthem to Hope xc, which are 19.5mm. Setup with 2.25 Nobby Nics/Hans Dampf. The Hope feel ‘better’ but don’t think it’s anything to do with the width being a shade less..

P-Jay
    Free Member

Went 23 to 29 a few months ago with some awesome vfm Nukeproof wheels. I’m super cynical when it comes to standards, but yeah it’s just better.

I’d be tempted to go 35mm

greyspoke
    Free Member

It is said that with wide rims for the tyre width, the sidewall is more exposed to sharp rocks tearing it. Well, if you look at the tyre shape, it definitely is more exposed. I had 32mm internal rims with 2.35 tyres and liked it. But I went to Antur Stiniog and got a slit in the sidewall just by the tread. So make of that what you will, but probably don’t go too wide if you ride regularly in sharp rocks.

With a squarer profile you need less lean to dig the side knobs in, which you may or may not notice depending on how you corner. I definitely noticed improved turning in and cornering, thus illustrating my poor technique.

A flatter tread area can lead to higher rolling resistance, even if you leave pressures the same, according to some theories which kind of make sense.

jairaj

assuming all other things vaguely similar … yep with that kind of jump in width you should notice the wider rims being stiffer and tracking better on drought ground. Tyre profile will also be quite different and squared out a bit more. As long as you’re not running skin tyres the new profile should be for the better and you should be able to run the tyres a bit softer too without pinching.

Of course its possible to make a wider rim with less material so it flops about more than the thiner rim. But as long as its a fairly decent rim you should see advantages.

VanHalen

How can you ‘ run less pressure and pinch flat less’ with a wider rim? It doesn’t make sense? You’ll still pinch if you hit the same rock with similar forces. You’ll ride slower though with lower pressures as it will feel vague and squirmy in the corners.

This is why plus tyres are only really good for beginners or kids cos they don’t ride hard enough to notice the squirm and like the comfort it offers.

greyspoke
    Free Member

How tyres behave as you squish them is really complicated. But none of the statements your make there Van Halen are necessarily true. There may be differences. For example, the tyre contact patch area at maximum squish may be different for different rim widths. Similarly the angle the tyre wall contacts the rim under sideways forces will be different, which will affect squirminess. Probably not big differences, but enough for a psi or two. Or to put it another way, change one thing, other things are likely to change.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Paging Can Galen, looks like Gary Extreme has stolen your log in!

dirkpitt74

Thanks all,took a punt and got the wheels.
    Picking up a barely used Magic Mary & Hans Dampf off a mate at work on Monday so that’ll be 2 sets of wheels & tyres for the Scout.

geex
    Free Member

Still creepy

cynic-al
    Free Member

Still Big Hitter.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Noticeable differences between rim widths?’ is closed to new replies.