Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Notice Period – Legal Requirements
  • Coyote
    Free Member

In my employment contract it says I need to give 3 months notice however I am sure I’ve heard somewhere that only 1 month is actually enforcable. Does anyone know the truth in this?

*Disclaimer: This is not a firstworldproblem whinge about the unfairness of it all. I am merely looking to expand my horizons and am thinking that a 3 month notice may put people off.

wwaswas

the 3 months is there for two reasons from employers perspective

1) gives them time to find a replacement

2) makes it more difficult for you to find another job.

From yours, obviously it means that yu get 3 months to find another job if they want to get shot of you.

My experience is that unless they feel you’re going to a direct competitor and it’ll give the new emplyer some huge advantage to get you 2 months earlier it’s down to negotation as to when you leave and they’ll be flexible.

Also, unless they can prove they’ve lost out you can pretty much leave when you waqnt anyway – they’re unlikely to take you to court. You’d never work there again, though 😉

MSP

It is enforceable, however whether its worth enforcing is a different matter, in most cases there is little point.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Piss them off int he right manner and they’ll put you on gardening leave for the duration of your notice – worked for me last time, month’s wages and continued use of the company car. Excellent.

footflaps

Exceptionally rare to ever be enforced for anyone other than ‘C’ level. Pretty much everyone negotiates down to a month.

dashed
    Free Member

Always negotiated down in my case – little point keeping someone on for 3 months when they don’t give a toss anymore… In interviews I’ve always been clear I’ve got a 3 month notice period but that I expected my current employer to be flexible in the matter. Never put off a prospective employer (as far as I know!) as they usually want a 3 month period themselves…

ourmaninthenorth

Er, yes, entirely enforceable.

Best go back and tell the new people you’ll have to come back to them on your start date… 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Notice Period – Legal Requirements’ is closed to new replies.