Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Nothing says Christma like a dead poinsettia
  • RustyNissanPrairie

It’s that time again that the RNP household celebrates all that is Xmas by buying a soon to be dead poinsettia that will be lucky to see the end of November let along Xmas day.
    Welcome Mr Plant to the house you will die in…..merry Xmas.

9 sided dice roller

Bunnyhop

These are plants that need to be in a cool place, preferably outside (not to cold a spot though).

Bringing them into the home with central heating at Christmas, will indeed kill it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of a dead bag of crisps and half a pint… neither will last till Xmas either..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That beer looks more dead than the crisps

krixmeister

My own experience is warmth is OK – in fact the plant is originally from Mexico, and somewhere I have a photo of me next to a poinsettia TREE in the Chihuahuan desert from an MTB trip there decades ago…

What they do need is lots of light – the lack of which in British Christmas’s is what I suspect tends to kill them.

bruneep

It’s that time again that the RNP household celebrates all that is Xmas by buying a soon to be dead poinsettia that will be lucky to see the end of November let along Xmas day.
    Welcome Mr Plant to the house you will die in…..merry Xmas.

Ha ha This is mrsb every year, I welcomed it into the house with a “welcome to certain death”

bikebouy
    Free Member

That beer looks more dead than the crisps

Soft Southern Real Ale.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Merr Christma

bearnecessities

Every year my auntie (who I love to pieces) buys me a poinsettia and I try to keep it alive for as long as possible.

It’s not even a good-looking house plant; if I owned a gun, and it would make any difference, I would just shoot it in the head to save both of our impending misery.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Probably through luck than anything else, the 50p bargain basement Poinsettia I bought from Tesco Express at least two Christmases ago is still alive! 😮

It lives in our cool kitchen, gets afternoon sunlight and usually gets waste fish tank water.

No red leaves, but isn’t that accomplished by starving them of sunlight?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You’re supposed to put them in a bin bag and keep them in a cupboard. Then when you remember you’ve got it you can put it in the bin without making a mess. I think bunnyhop is getting them mixed up with cyclamen. Warm and away from draughts is what poinsettia like.

binners

Won’t somebody please think of all those Greggs festive bakes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d imagine you think of very little else..

matt_outandabout

I’m shortly also due to be last custodian of either a poinsettia or Christmas cactus.
    Every.
    Single.
    Year.
    Please dad, can you buy me an azalea instead?

epicyclo

Bunnyhop

These are plants that need to be in a cool place, preferably outside (not to cold a spot though).

Bringing them into the home with central heating at Christmas, will indeed kill it.

That surprises me because they grow prolifically in North Queensland. Could it be some other factor?

flowergirl
    Free Member

What actually kills them is the change in temperature. They’re usually sold from outside shops, you then take them home into the warm and the leaves drop off! Try to buy a plant that has been inside, wrap it up to take it home and then let it acclimatise slowly. Try not to put it on a window where the temperature might vary, but put it somewhere near a window where it will get plenty of light. You can get them to re colour but it involves a lot of work and light deprivation. And the flowers aren’t flowers, it’s the leaves or bracts changing colour if I remember my botany classes correctly!! (Ex florist) 😀

Bunnyhop

Everyday is a school day :0)

steve_b77
    Free Member

3 years ago the wife killed ours by putting it on a windowsill above a heater.

2 years ago the wife killed ours by over watering it.

Last year it got killed by the kids knocking into it as the wife placed it near the bi-folds so not near heat.

There’s a theme here, I reckon while they look nice, they’re not robust enough for modern living 😉

bruneep

null

heading for its well overdue watering, amazed it lasted as long as it has

CountZero

I honestly can’t remember ever having a poinsettia in the house, if there was one it was a very long time ago. My late mum wasn’t that fond of them, I’m indifferent, and I don’t think my g/f is fussed.
    Which is good.

Sandwich

There are a surprising number of us married to serial plant killers. Mrs S can be added to the list.

maccruiskeen

Everyday is a school day

only about 195 days a year are a school day…. unless you’re in borstal.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

about 20 years ago when my two boys were errr…quick bit of mental arithmetic… eight and six I let them loose in M&S with some cash to buy a present for their mum.

They were super excited and wouldn’t let me see what it was. They dashed upstairs to wrap it up and we didn’t see it again until about a week later on Christmas day.

they presented it to my wife who unwrapped it to see, you guessed it, a set of sticks in a pot with all the dead leaves in the bottom of the wrapping.

The best part though was the surprised “oh!” from my wife and the look of shock on my boys faces followed by us all dissolving into laughter.

RustyNissanPrairie

We have a world record – no Poinsettia has ever lived as long as this one did. It’s funeral service is today if anyone wants to attend?

CheesybeanZ

MIL regularly manages to keep hers going till October ish .
    Thier lounge is constant 70º , she waters a little often and it sits in the bay window on a table so gets plenty of light but no real temperature change .

bearnecessities

My condolences. It sounds it had a wonderful life with you though.

I’m afraid your WR claim though is premature; I was in Grasmere last weekend and spotted 3 alive and well poinsettia’s in the window of this place.

Probably about the size of Bruneep’s above when I saw them; if anyone is able to update this thread with their progress I’d love to know.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Nothing says Christma like a dead poinsettia’ is closed to new replies.