Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Not welcome in Llandudno?
  • Esme
    Free Member

On the whole, I'm a respectable law-abiding member of society (at least as far as my mother knows!)

But last week I visited an old friend in North Wales, who's recovering from viral pneumonia, and went for a gentle ride through Llandudno and round the Great Orme.

The main road (A546) along the seafront was horrendous, very busy with impatient drivers, and narrowed on both sides with parked cars. After a couple of close encounters with cars squeezing past, and a carelessly opened door, we decided to ride along the very wide prom instead. But then a jobsworth ordered us off, saying cycling was illegal because of a 1912 byelaw.

Local cyclists have been campaigning against this ban for some time, but it was confirmed by Conwy Council in 2006. Part of the problem is they are muddling two separate issues. One is the proposed route of the North Wales cycleway, which they don't want anywhere near the town. The other is safety in the North Shore area.

My main concern is cyclists who need/want to be in the North Shore area, maybe because they live or work or shop there, or because they want to visit the beach. Why should cyclists be forced onto a very dangerous road, when there is a pleasant and safe alternative?

Kev has set up a Facebook "cause" here
    Bike Llandudno Promenade
    and would welcome your support

Personally, if bikes are not welcome in Llandudno, I'll be spending my money elsewhere in future!

highclimber
    Free Member

everytime I have been down the prom (in a car admittedly) it has been busy with cars parked on bothsides of the road leaving very little room for two cars let alone a bike as well. it is ridculous that cycling is banned on the prom as its not like it isn't wide enough! how much room do pedestrians need?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You can blame the Hoteliers along the seafront & Mostyn Estates, they wield all the power in Llandudno, I often ride around the Orme, you do take your life in your hands passing parked cars, coaches & all manner of crockles & dozy people stepping out in front of you.

They can't decide on a route for a cycle path, although the one running from Penryhn Bay to Old Colwyn is lethal because of people walking along it, its safer on the road.

higgo
    Free Member

I wouldn't ride on the prom.

If the issue is that it's unsafe to ride on the road, then that's where efforts should be expended in my opinion.

project
    Free Member

Ride on the road, adopt the primary position,as shown in Cyclecraft the cyclists bible, keeping well clear of car doors,when you have a build up of traffic behind you,just ignore them, you have a right to cycle any road except motorways,and some toll roads, if they made the prom road one way that would sort everything out.

Perhaps a ride along the prom road at a specific time so we could all meet up and adnmire the sights, of course some of us would be slower, and some would like to ride side by side, preferably on a saturday pm or Sunday.

mattp
    Free Member

Perhaps a ride along the prom road at a specific time so we could all meet up and adnmire the sights, of course some of us would be slower, and some would like to ride side by side, preferably on a saturday pm or Sunday.

this sounds like fun – count me in…

nockmeister
    Free Member

Yep…it's nuts that Llandudno is the only place that didn't sign up for the fantstic coast route/ride…wouldn't mind but like stated the roads around there are overloaded and the prom has to be the widest Wales!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yep I would be up for that too!

project
    Free Member

So thats 3 so far.

The prom through Old Colwyn has a nice green painted cycletrack on it, and its very narrow there, and has little problem, its also part of Sustrans route 5 to holyhead.

For the sake of 2 white lines,we could cycle safely and with consideration to other path users along the prom, in safety from the shortsighted old biides that aim Peugots at each other on the roads around LLandudno.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Joined the cause 🙂 Totally agree that it is unfair to force people to ride on an unsafe road when the prom really is wide enough to accomodate both easily. Given that there is meant to be a lot of effort to encourage more people to cycle, then the ban on the prom is even less defensible.

*thread hijack* …
    however, many of the back roads up in Snowdonia offer some of the best road riding (virtually traffic free / stunning scenery etc) – does anyone fancy meeting up for a ride now and again? I'm not really a roadie racer, so the 'road club runs' probably aren't my thing, but if anyone fancies a 'mountain bikers type road ride' (ie stop for a blether now and again, admire the view, end at the pub 🙂 Let me know
    … *end of hijack*

flippinheckler
    Free Member

but if anyone fancies a 'mountain bikers type road ride' (ie stop for a blether now and again, admire the view, end at the pub Let me know

I am often out & about in the Country lanes around Bryn Y Maen, Abergele & over the tops around & around through Llangernyw. Also planning a reckie of some woods/forest a couple of miles of my house to carve out a play area & mini route.

email me if anyone fancies a spin.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Not welcome in Llandudno?’ is closed to new replies.