• This topic has 57 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by GHill.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Not sure that I deserved that!
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I went for a couple of laps of Sherwood tonight…..I got 200m done by the time i went home.

About four or five corners in I found a ‘punch drunk’ biker spitting teeth out of his face.

I spent the next 2.5 hrs sorting him out. Sat him down and told him not to move….went to find a first aider. This failed so called an ambulance. Stayed with him searching for his teeth…..Ambulance arrived 75 mins or so later…..this was followed by a four by four-ish type vehicle to get him out of the woods.

2.5hrs later I realised someone had stolen my backpack that I had asked some guys to keep an eye on. These were guys who I had asked to direct the ambulance into the woods from the Car Park…..unfortunately they carried on with their ride after the ambulance had arrived. And obv. forgot about my bag.

I then locked the guys bike up next to Sherwood Pines Cycles….and will let the guys in the shop know tomorrow why there is a bike locked to their shop…..I will pop in tomorrow pm to unlock them!

Karma? It appears not.

Osprey Raptor and loads of tools / spares / mech hangar / various nuts/bolts/fixings/etc gone 🙁

kimbers

Possible someone found the bag and handed it in ?

soobalias
    Free Member

did they put it in the ambulance? or hand it into the shop?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Possible but unlikely – nowhere to hand bag into.

Shop closed, Go Ape closed, Cafe closed. No rangers seen during whole experience….

🙁

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Not in ambo as bag was never near it not near the para’s

dirtyrider
    Free Member

.this was followed by a four by four-ish type vehicle to get him out of the woods.

? Sherwood crosses the forest drive after 200m

Houns

50p says the bike gets nicked and the owner holds you responsible for the poor securing of it and sues you

soobalias
    Free Member

lol

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Was not expecting such pedantry.

Opening Gambit is approx 320m….source: Strava

I would say we were bang in the middle – so apologies as it may have 160m.

With a head/facial/back trauma the person needs to be put on a board thingy and moved carefully.

To do this…they chose to use this 4 by 4 thingy…..

This oK?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Not a very stealable bike.

To big chains….one around frame.rear.bike rack…..one around front wheel / frame.

The alternative was to leave it on trail.

takisawa2

Hey, you did the right thing.
    Look at it this way, the loss of the bag might just have saved you & the forest from a fiery demise…
    I mean, you might have let one go, & the aforementioned metal tool collection might have clanked together & ignited said gaseous expulsion, causing huge fireball, your demise & acres of Sherwood reduced to ashes.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Check the Strava Fly by thing. Might be able to track who was about.

Hope it all gets resolved

Junkyard
    Free Member

What was in the bag as happy to donate something/s so your good deed does go unpunished

the outcome for you really sucks but the motive was noble and you did the right thing

v8ninety

May the thief’s genitals wither and fall off before his eyes before being snatched away by an energetic badger who scuttles away surprisingly speedily, munching as he goes.

cinnamon_girl

You did well and that poor chap will be grateful for all your efforts. Fingers crossed that your bag will turn up. 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Good on you for doing your best to help someone else and sacrificing yor ride tp do so. I hope you get your pack back.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 14 (bladder still in car though as no water needed for Sherwood laps)
    Mini Multi Tool
    Little Pocket Knife
    Couple of cassette lockring things
    Shimano plaggy crank tool
    2 x shimano crank nut things – one std one blue 🙂
    Tranny Covert Mech Hangar
    Top Peak tyre levers
    4 x Chain Links 10sp
    Clarke gear cable
    Various chainring bolts – in quite a few colours 🙂
    Mini pump that was new – £25er can’t recall brand one with a bendy extension thingy
    Usual tyre repair stuff
    Tube
    Tubeless valves x 2
    The little tool thing to take tubeless valves apart to get gunk in

Prob more that I can’t think of.

Apart from that it was virtually empty 😀 😉

matt_outandabout

Well done for trying your best.
    Kicker about you bag, I hope it turns up.

kayak23

Someone will be along in a minute to mock you for carrying so much at Sherwood Pines….

Hope your bag turns up.

scc999

Well that’s just crap!

Hope it’s been picked up by some honest soul to be handed in or something.
    I know it’s unlikely, but I can hope!

Si

Legoman
    Free Member

Well done mate, you did a good thing tonight.
    Hope someone like you us around if I ever need help on the trails.

Shitter about the bag, but what goes around etc…… something good will come your way,

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Prob right Kayak….I don’t decant things from my bag for specific trips…..its just all in there, all the time 🙂

Generally built up over a period of time that I have wished that i had had those things 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I didn’t take that much to Torridon!

(or a headtorch :?)

Well done for doing what you did, hope your stuff turns up or the new owners next shite is like giving birth to a fully grown hedgehog.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

The annoying thing is that it will have been taken for keys/phone/wallet.

They were in my pockets.

They won’t have a clue what half the stuff it – esp the covert mech hangar!!

Binned or lobbed into a bush probs

cakefacesmallblock

Pack being stolen is not good.
    However, you really helped someone tonight. Well done.
    Karma.

cubist
    Free Member

That’s a truly rough break when all you were doing is helping. I feel for you and hope someone else has done the right thing and your bag gets returned and the other guy isn’t too messed up.

I am intrigued as to how they got a 4×4 down that bit of trail. Surely it’s to narrow?

timba
    Free Member

Ring the hospital and ambulance service
    Give it a couple of days (for someone to go there when they’re open) and try Sherwood and police
    And hopefully…

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t believe someone took your bag, what a kick in the teeth! As above though, it is more likely that someone will hand it in at a police station or similar rather than nick it. There are more good people in the world than bad!

Also, what you did for that poor biker was invaluable. You really put yourself out there. 2.5 hours of your time for someone you don’t know? I know it probably doesn’t feel like it right now but the kind of person that makes you is worth a hundred backpacks! Priceless in fact. Feel good about yourself, you’ve definitely earned it!!! 🙂

Basil

Welll done. Good to know good people are out there.
    About the bag.try to take comfort that you’re cool and they are just shit.

epicyclo

shermer75 – Member
    …There are more good people in the world than bad!…

I’m a great believer in this, handybendyhendo is proof.

Give it a week and if the bag doesn’t turn up, we should have a STW whipround as suggested above.

theotherjonv

if the bag doesn’t turn up, we should have a STW whipround as suggested above

I’m in for that.

MoreCashThanDash

Good for you for doing the right thing.

The bag may turn up yet, but I’d contribute for you.

The world needs more good deeds lime this.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

epicyclo +1.

Legoman
    Free Member

if the bag doesn’t turn up, we should have a STW whipround as suggested above
    I’m in for that.

Me too. Keep us posted.

matt_outandabout

Same here on helping out.

webbc1
    Free Member

Hi Mark …. I’ve been pointed to this thread from Facebook, where I posted about a bag being found at Sherwood Pines Car Park last night, hopefully it’ll be yours. Get in touch with me via here or Facebook ‘Sherwood Trails ** ‘ group

convert

🙂 – sounds like good news for the OP

Good work on doing the right thing with the mashed up bloke. How is he btw and what did he do to loose his teeth?

DrP

You should have kept the teeth – Tooth Fairy would have funded a new bag…

(though may not be necessary now)

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

STW induceed Karma! 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hopefully webbc1 has your bag but if not I have a spare chain tool and probably a multitool you can have. Well done for helping the guy out, I hope he mends up well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Not sure that I deserved that!’ is closed to new replies.