Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,874 total)
  • Not putting the heating on – how’s it going…?
  • Kryton57

I think there a line between “deliberate hardship” and saving energy for the sake of cost and the environment not necessarily in that order.

I’m doing the latter. I am fortunate that I could afford to be ambivalent this winter about the fuel costs* but am using the opportunity to be less wasteful to the environment and subsequently my wallet.

* assuming my wife’s contract gets extended, decision next Wednesday.

desperatebicycle

I’m glad I bought some hideous Nuvola slippers from SportPursuit. They look stupid, but they keep my feet warm. It’s gonna have to be much colder before my heating goes on.

sirromj

I set our thermostat to 14 degrees earlier this year to stop the heating kicking in (and it hasn’t). Thermostat has been living on my computer desk since then, situated under the stairs, with desktop tower, two monitors, and a NAS which might fool it into thinking it’s warmer than it is. Probably. Gave up on shorts last week, back to jeans, my knees get cold!

Down here in the SE, terrace (insulation could be better), not expecting to need heating for a few more weeks at least. I wasn’t worried last year about the cost of heating, we’d put it up when we got a bit cold, to a max of probably 22 degrees. This year I want to avoid going past 19 degrees. Will keep it at 16 for as long as possible. I’ll just exercise in the house more if I get cold, flap my arms about a bit, star jumps etc, lol. Will keep me from browsing shite on the internet for hours on end in the evenings.

Onzadog
    Free Member

According to our Prime Minister on local radio, domestic energy is capped at £2500!

Seems I had previously misunderstood so I’m now off to crank the heating up to 25°C

molgrips
    Free Member

Sitting in a t-shirt in my office (bedroom) and fairly comfortable but my feet are cold – which is pretty unusual for me. So I’m considering slipper socks – or something with a harder wearing sole. Don’t want to wear out my walking socks.

Cougar

I set our thermostat to 14 degrees earlier this year to stop the heating kicking in (and it hasn’t). Thermostat has been living on my computer desk since then, situated under the stairs, with desktop tower, two monitors, and a NAS which might fool it into thinking it’s warmer than it is.

Would it not be a whole lot simpler just to switch off the heating?

sirromj

Would it not be a whole lot simpler just to switch off the heating?

I’m more concerned about how to answer this question than whether it actually is simpler or not.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone got recs for slipper socks on the High St (rather than online)?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Going fine in the balmy south of the south. Had a few ~5degree mornings outside but still ~ 18 deg c inside. I have had to start putting slippers on for work (inactive sit at desk work) but I always have cold feet.

reluctantjumper

I’m lucky in that my block of flats is pretty well insulated and I also get a bit of secondary heat leaking in from the corridor where everyone else insists on having the little heater in it on full blast! It’s paid for by the management company so noone cares about having on 24/7. Next door neighbours are Indian so they have their flat at volcano levels of heat which leaks through my wall too, still having to currently have the windows open when I cook just to let the heat out. The turning point will be when I struggle to dry clothes overnight, first thing is a little desk fan running all night then if that doesn’t work the heating gets put on minimum (Economy 7 storage heaters). I’ve never had to turn the heater past level 2 of 6 in the 9 years I’ve been here, even then that was only during the Beast From The East, and that’s despite me liking it around 18 degrees. Not bad for a ground floor flat!

corroded
    Free Member

Aga is on but not central heating yet. With the oil-fuelled Aga we may as well just be throwing fistfuls of fivers into it continuously but we’re kind of stuck with it now.

IHN

So I’m considering slipper socks – or something with a harder wearing sole

Like, say, slippers?

With the oil-fuelled Aga we may as well just be throwing fistfuls of fivers into it continuously but we’re kind of stuck with it now.

We bit the bullet and installed a new external oil-boiler last year to get rid of an old Rayburn. Whether it’s any more efficient remains to be seen, but at least we’ve got rid of the massive noise-generator from the kitchen…

ransos
    Free Member

According to our Prime Minister on local radio, domestic energy is capped at £2500!

It isn’t. That’s the expected average cost based on the price capped rate.

RustySpanner

Yep, gas fire went on for an hour after getting home from a week away.

Apart from that, closing the blinds and keeping interior doors shut is working well.

We’re up high, but had the house really well insulated when it rebuilt.

Now have an ‘indoor’ fleece……it used to be the ‘gardening’ fleece, but it’s had a wash. 🙂

Feet – Vans (just use this pair indoors) and some cheap Grisport walking socks. They really are bloody awful walking socks, but very warm.

cinnamon_girl

Last year I bought these Men’s wool felt slippers and have been very impressed with the quality. Have a shoe-free home so worn lots and they’re still looking good. Coupled with hiking socks my feet have never been toastier.

https://www.johnlewis.com/josef-seibel-westland-toulouse-35-mule-slippers/p5672903

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm they do look good but I’d rather socks with some kind of reinforced sole, rather than actual slippers.

retrorick

Not used the gas central heating yet. I have used a 700w far infrared panel for localised heating of myself whilst sat in a cool room.

cinnamon_girl

Hmm they do look good but I’d rather socks with some kind of reinforced sole, rather than actual slippers.

Why molgrips?

the-muffin-man

£50.00 for slippers!

Cost of living crisis my arse – get yourself to your local factory shop! 🙂

HobNob
    Free Member

We’ve been away somewhere warm for the last few weeks, coming back here was a noticeable drop in temperature here.

No heating on as yet, but we did pre-emptively stock up with a few tonnes of hardwood as we have a couple of stoves we use most of the time for heating. They have been lit a couple of times in the evening.

configuration
    Free Member

Thermostat is set to 21ºC here, and that’s a compromise, as I’d prefer it at 23º, but my wife complains it’s too hot. It’s kicking in in the mornings and evenings. Being comfortable is important. No kids, so money to literally burn.

Out of interest; how many on here NOT putting heating on are from Yorkshire or Scotland? 🙂

IHN

I’d prefer it at 23º, but my wife complains it’s too hot.

She’s right. Put a jumper on.

cinnamon_girl

£50.00 for slippers!

Cost of living crisis my arse – get yourself to your local factory shop!

Yeah but I did a a £40 gift voucher so not too painful. However, I usually buy cheapo supermarket slippers which don’t last long so expect these to outlast anything I’ve bought previously so better value for money hopefully.

No heating on here apart from switching on the oil-filled radiator for an hour max in the evening.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@cinnamon_girl

I bought these Men’s wool felt slippers

Want. But getting up and down stairs in mules is a matter of life or death.

Do these actually stay on your feet without having to scrunch your toes up to hold them on?

the-muffin-man

Pah! Easy! You need something these for the full life or death buzz… 🙂

My daughter bought me something similar last crimbo. They may actually be worn this winter.

cinnamon_girl

Do these actually stay on your feet without having to scrunch your toes up to hold them on?

I know exactly what you mean! The upper is a lot longer, as an example have just measured my size 7’s and between the upper side length and centre of heel is 6 cm. Even though I could have done with half a size smaller they do stay on my feet coming down the stairs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Like, say, slippers?

No, not like slippers.

Why molgrips?

Because slippers aren’t flexible like socks, they are shoe shaped.

IHN

Because slippers aren’t flexible like socks, they are shoe shaped.

Fair enough, if you don’t like slippers because they’re too ‘indoor shoe’ then fine, each to their own feet. However, it would be remiss of me not to introduce sir to (which for full STW points are are hand-made, fair trade and Mongolian)the below…

Grey Mustard Men's Felt Slipper

Shoe-shaped, yes. Not flexible, no. Proper lovely and warm, abso-flippin-lutely

retrorick

My living room is currently 13°c at waist height. It is warmer outside the house than inside it (downstairs). Upstairs is a bit warmer as the sun shines through the windows. I need the leaves to fall and high winds to blow the trees over later in the year.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

OWith the current SVR, it means out bills have gone up by about £3000/month

Blimey, what really?
    That’s insane. As above, try to see if you can be interest only for a while. Where does your current mortgage end date sit in relation to your expected retirement date?

molgrips
    Free Member

which for full STW points are are hand-made, fair trade and Mongolian

And also **** expensive 🙂

No they look alright actually, not a sole as such, but they are expensive. Totes are £18.

Onzadog
    Free Member

@ransos @gordimhor

I’m well aware how it works thanks. it was amusing that the PM demonstrated that she doesn’t!

Maybe my post needed a smilie or something.

IHN

Totes are £18.

Yep, a third of the price, but I bet my Mongolians will more than last three times as long. My previous pair of similar (these ‘uns https://www.husandhem.co.uk/37-glerups-slippers) were bought in 2014 and are on my feet as I type. They’re pretty ratty now, which is why MrsIHN bought me the mongolians to replace them, but still perfectly functional.

Think of them as the Chris King headset of slippers 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It isn’t. That’s the expected average cost based on the price capped rate.

Yes, that’s why he posted it.

Kryton57

You know there’s an energy crisis when peak STW is discussion the deterioration curve of Mongolian slippers.

Onzadog
    Free Member
    configuration
    Free Member

She’s right. Put a jumper on.

I have. I draw the line at needing a coat on indoors…

sirromj

You know there’s an energy crisis when peak STW is discussion the deterioration curve of Mongolian slippers.

🤣

nickc

Ive got these slippers 

Yes, they’re idiotically expensive (mine were b’day gift from my kids) but they are gloriously toasty

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.