Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Not just what you ride…..Best AM Frame??
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

Give me your opinions too…..

I am bored! I've not built a bike for a few months and could do with another project, so…..

What really is the best 'All Mountain Frame' around and why?

I want to build the best bike I ever have and need your help!

carbon337
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius AM – no i dont own one but would like to.

radoggair
    Free Member

turner 5 spot. Great riding frame, handles downs as well as the up's, not too heavy, great customer support. Think you'll never regret it

ton

nicolai helius fr
    heckler

owned them both, sold them both……… 😐

but both very good………..nicolai edges it tho.

backhander
    Free Member

The new carbon nomad and mojo HD are going to be pretty special I reckon.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mmmmm….the Nicolai look a bit on the ugly side (IMO), but seem to pop up quite often???

Raddogair – I'll take a look at the 5 Spot?

ton – Member

nicolai helius fr
    heckler

owned them both, sold them both………

but both very good………..nicolai edges it tho.

Ton…why did the Nicolai edge it? I have a Heckler at the moment and do love it, but it is the 3rd I've had and just fancy a change?

hitman
    Free Member

Nomad or Blur LT or Mojo HD

oxnop
    Free Member

Blur lt2/c
    nomad mk2/carbon
    Mojo
    Intense tracer
    Turner 5 spot

cynic-al
    Free Member

tools!

Kuco

Prophet MX

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seriously though, does anyone believe this question is even worth asking, apart from spotty 12-year-old Top-Trumps-playing boys?

Digger90
    Free Member

Turner 5 Spot – no question.

I've had 3 of them.

Also owned Spesh SX Trail, Kona Coilers (x2), Spesh SX Supercross, Commie Meta 5, so have experienced a few…

Turner beats 'em all.

convert

I test rode an Orange 5, a Blur lt and a Turner 5 spot today….brilliant service from Mountain Trax near Swinley –

my findings

Orange 5 – good in a comfy armchair kind of way. Swallows up all the tiny bumps but not as good on square edges and not as alive. Muscling up short stuff hand far more bob.

Blur and 5 spot had some very similar characteristics. Both felt far more like a hardtail in the twisty stuff – I couldn't tell the suspension was working, it just smoothed stuff out a bit but you could still feel what was under you. They both climbed quite a bit better and put up with a 14 stoner getting out of the saddle for short power climbs without massive bob.

For me, of those 3 it will be a blur or a 5 spot – just down to fit now…

Rickos
    Free Member

The yet to be released Chumba Evo looks good.

– 68 degree head angle with 140mm fork; 67 degree head angle with 160mm fork
    – 13.3" bottom bracket height with 140mm fork, 13.5" with 160mm fork
    – 150mm of travel
    – ISCG 05 mounts (Hammerschmidt compatible)
    – Expected weight 6.3 lbs. without shock

si-wilson
    Free Member

Rickos, did you spot the image of the proto evo in this months dirt mag? It was in the crank bros article at the back if one if the shots!

jimmy

hopefully the yeti asr-5…

cullen-bay
    Free Member

giant trance x advanced sl frame… fantastic suspension platform and superb giant carbon. tad pricey, but not as bad as the SC Nomad will be or a mojo.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ooh that Chumba looks pretty nice.

Si?

ton

cynic-al – Member
    Seriously though, does anyone believe this question is even worth asking, apart from spotty 12-year-old Top-Trumps-playing boys?

al………..why the **** do you come on a mountainbike forum……….you miserable fecker…….. 🙄

and to answer the op, the nicolai just felt a lot more robust and put together. a bit like a heckler doing some big weights……. 8)

toys19
    Free Member

like a heckler doing some big weights……

A heckler doing big weights already exists its called a bullit. Best AM bike around, climbs like a 4 wheel drive and descends like magic carpet. Here's one of mine.

And here is the other.

ton

nice it is too.
    i do wish people would not post such pictures tho….my wallet is trying to open itself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Someone's got to ask teh sensible questions!

toys19
    Free Member

ton – Member

nice it is too.
    i do wish people would not post such pictures tho….my wallet is trying to open itself.

Thanks.

Sorry, I have to share the love. 2nd hand bullit frames are cheap as chips. 300 notes with 5th element coil shock. Loads of em about.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Cannondale prophet with a PUSH Van R

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cove Hustler, yes I own one but that's because it's the best 🙂

KT1973
    Free Member

For best AM it's Blur LT2c

fivespot
    Free Member

Hustler her too. I did think the 5spot was was great……until I tried a Hustler 😛

yetiguy
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo
    Yeti 575
    Turner 5 spot
    Heckler

Not in that order

hicksville
    Free Member

How are you defining all mountain??
    Able to climb/ascend mountains, alps rockies llangeda???
    Able to descend mountains??? pyrennes dolomites, apennines lee quarry?
    able to pedal all day?? like 4 to 8 hours or chairlift to top
    Weight of….30lbs/35lbs/40lbs/??
    How much travel? Air or coil shock as that affectes things
    personally then i would consider
    Turner 5 spot dw
    maverick ml8
    old turner rfx horst link
    ibis mojo
    dialled alpine
    chumba xcl/vf2
    owned only 2 of those

NOT (for me)
    Bullit climbed like a pig with a bloated gut
    Blur LT2 did not like suspension
    Yeti 575…….felt compromised suspension
    Intense never got on with the sizing
    orange 5 or patroit not a single pivot fan at all dead wooden
    owned all of the above

Dylan08
    Free Member

I really want to like Chumba's but would find it incredibly hard to ride something thats named like something I just dropped in the toilet! 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

Ooh that Chumba looks pretty nice.

That is the early proto of the new generation EVO. Finsihed frames will have a similar top and down tube to the VF2 with beefier tubes. It's a multi link bike too. Chumba decided it's time they had a go with a multi link design, they are not dropping the horst link frames though (thankfully imo) just looking at others options to get into the market.

I should have one of 5 finished proto's by the end of May 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

What it must be like to be the worlds leading expert on all things mountain bike eh? 😕 For your information Al I am nothing like a spotty 12 year old (although if they want my advice I would be happy to provide it!), in fact I'm 37 years old and looking for some constructive feedback, because unlike you I have not ridden EVERY mountain bike that graces this earth! Oh what it must be like to like in your world!!

cynic-al – Member

Someone's got to ask teh sensible questions!

And that's you is it? You really are deluded! All you ever do is seem to crash other peoples posts and act the fool, maybe its because you don't really have a clue and that's the only way you can get involved.

To everyone else except Al
    , thanks for your feedback, there a few bikes that have come up more than once, so time to go and do some research on them and see which would suit me best. But quite fancy the Mojo or SC Blur lt2c??

PS: In future Al, don't bother replying to my posts – your just wasting your superior brain power & time.

Rickos
    Free Member

si – didn't see the photo in Dirt. I got all that from the Chumba blog.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How can any Nicolai be any good when the decals are designed by a dyslexic, and nobody else in the company has ever noticed it and corrected them?

DT78
    Free Member

Nomad. (yes I own one)

Chuck on the DH wheelset it'll do the Alps/Uplifts, AM wheelset trail centres.

That's all I change on it.

lock
    Free Member

ive ridden a few bikes but for all mountain its got to be the titus el guapo,

it rides everything very well and is very stable in the air and very confidence inspiring,a bit pricey but very well made,with the right kit can be a all day bike or bike hit bike

hicksville
    Free Member

indeed titus supermoto or el gaupo

therealhoops
    Free Member

Another vote for the Nicolai Helius FR (rode mine to work this morning 🙂
    The Chumba's look noooice too.

tracknicko
    Free Member

AM? AM indeed.

ALL of those bikes look too heavy to pedal up hills. All of em. (with a couple of exceptions)

IMO AM seems to refer to either people that live somewhere flat and tell you 'it really pedals well up hill' or people that ride DH at half the speed they should, because they brough their 'AM' bike and not their DH bike.

**** dragging any of those suggestions round the peak. Or wharnecliffe. Or anywhere that goes uphill for more than 30 seconds.

If you need 6 inch of coil travel front and rear to ride 'aggressive xc' then you need to up your game.

convert

tracknicko.

Whilst I think in true stw stylee you are slightly over egging your point – you have a point! The 3 bike I rode yesterday (see above) quite frankly felt slightly ridiculous at Swinley forest. I would have be just as happy with a competent hardtail or a stiff shorter travel bike. I think am bikes could be seen as a bike great for (amongst other things) not so fit/skilled riders who don't get out much where the bike can compensate for your unhoned skills – and where is the harm in that?

Living in the South, I would not be considering one of these if it was my only bike but fortunately I have another hardtail that shall share duties with this (potential)one. There is no doubt though that as my personal performance capabilities drop off and I ride less frequently I'll be glad of a bike that fills in the gaps for me and is also capable enough to just about withstand that trip to the alps I've always promised myself. Also, I don't know how long you have been riding mtbs but I first tried a longish travel bike 7 or 8 years ago – it is amazing how much more "all round" they have become in that time – no longer does it feel like you are riding a wollowy bag of spanners of old and some of them really do climb so much better than bikes of this ilk used to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Not just what you ride…..Best AM Frame??’ is closed to new replies.