• This topic has 46 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Not innocent enough…
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

No compensation for 8 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit and the police never found Jill Dando’s actual killer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk-news/2013/jul/09/barry-george-loses-fight-jill-dando-compensation

is this justice?

piemonster

I don’t know the subject matter and not read the article.

But feel the need to post for no good reason.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

No compensation for 8 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit and the police never found Jill Dando’s actual killer:

Um, where does it say he

A: Didn’t commit the crime?

and/or

B: Wasn’t the actual killer?

toys19
    Free Member

Um, where does it say he

and/or

where does it it say he did?

Bazz

Um, where does it say he

and/or

Poor troll, or are you just thick? what do you think terms like “unsafe conviction” or “miscarriage of justice” mean?

nealglover
    Free Member

Um, where does it say he

and/or

“Um”, At his retrial in 2008 when he was acquitted obviously.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Um, where does it say he

and/or

Retrial made it rather clear that he simply couldn’t have been there at the time of the murder, and iirc he was not picked out of id parade by the witnesses that saw what was likely to have been the killer leaving the scene.

I suppose with the word count, this article presupposes that his acquittal was the right decision, and that he was neither the killer nor committed murder and instead concentrates on the story that he is “not innocent enough” for compensation.

IMHO the real story here is that Barry George does have a rather alarming criminal record (of things he clearly did do), and raises the debate of whether it is a good use of public funds or morally right to compensate someone who in the rest of their life did cause such harm and misery to others (just not Jill Dando!) and with such a large criminal record.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there normally compensation?

Beggars belief in either case, losing 8 years of time is bad enough, let alone the psychological issues.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes that may be the bit where all that was said.

the original ruling is thus

On the 11th May 2011 in a landmark ruling, the Supreme Court defined “miscarriage of justice” as evidence “so undermined that no conviction could possibly be based upon it”. This decision cleared the way for Georges solicitor, Nicholas Baird, to request the then Justice Secretary Ken Clarke “consider afresh” George’s claim for compensation applying the new test set out by the Court.[28] The claim was heard in the High Court; however in their summing up, judges Lord Justice Beatson and Mr Justice Irwin said: “There was indeed a case upon which a reasonable jury properly directed could have convicted the claimant of murder”, and on the strength of this, denied George compensation for wrongful incarceration.[29]

Whilst I get the point however well meaning we were the decison we made was wrong and weimprisoned someone innocent and basically ruined his life. He deserves enough to make a decent fresh start as we have now overturned that decision.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agreed Junky, there must be so few of these cases the costs would be immaterial.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

You are either legally innocent or guilty. There is no in between.

How sad the entire point of the justice system can be undermined by a judge with no understanding of the value of defined legal process to society or individuals.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

OK, you know me, there is perhaps more to this than meets the eye…

bonus points if anyone can link this with another story in the news today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23244577

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Is there normally compensation?

Where an innocent person is jailed, compensation can be paid, BUT HM Prisons claim part of it as a charge for B&B. After all, you had no right to that free room and board

bloodynora
    Free Member

Go to the E C H R? It must be the busiest gravy train out there, thought he would already be on it to be honest

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s this, a game of formulate your own conspiracy theory with today’s available news items ?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Not wanting to give too much away at this stage, but this is a BIGGIE and there are 2 avenues you can pursue…

nealglover
    Free Member

Not wanting to give too much away at this stage,

why not ?
    do you have secret information thats not available to anyone else ?

but this is a BIGGIE and there are 2 avenues you can pursue…

Yeah yeah, she was killed by Jimmy Savile and Cliff Richard right ?

(Or something like that anyway)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but this is a BIGGIE

Aren’t they all ?

You gave the impression that all your previous ones were huge conspiracies.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Damn, you’re sharp this evening neal!!

Lets not forget the vocation of her fiance…

Aren’t they all ?

You gave the impression that all your previous ones were huge conspiracies.

Maybe I’m just a drama queen 😀 hmm, speaking of queens

nealglover
    Free Member

Damn, you’re sharp this evening neal!!

Just because I know what your thinking, doesn’t mean I don’t still think its all bollx 😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Are you sure though… how do you know these tantalising snippets of monumental scandal which aren’t widely publicized if you don’t have some degree of interest… admit it, you’re curious 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

When you posted your link above, I googled

“Barry George Operation Fernbridge”

Hardly rocket science or brain surgery is it.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What, proving your blatant curiousity?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

admit it, you’re curious

I don’t know about nealglover but I’m happy to admit that I’m curious concerning what the **** goes through your head.

And I’m already looking forward to tomorrow’s conspiracy theory, before I’ve even understood what today’s is.

footflaps

You are either legally innocent or guilty. There is no in between.

Well Scotland has Not Proven, which is a sort of in between.

nealglover
    Free Member

What, proving your blatant curiousity?

I’m curious to know what the ridiculously gullible are lapping up this week yes.

It’s a source of amusement to me.

And for that, I thank you.

RustySpanner

jivehoneyjive – Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23244577

You know, I’m beginning to find your posts quite offensive, which I suspect is your intention.

nealglover
    Free Member

So, why were you…..

When its “information” that’s easily available to anyone who can google four words 🙄

Did you just want to sound important ?

toys19
    Free Member

If you do a mutated spoonerism of Jill Dando you get Jan Dildo. For some reason this slays me every time… 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

Op – you can take the foot off the gas, you have the troll of the day award in the bag…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I have no intention of offending, however, given that Jill Dando had close links to both Cliff Richard and the Royal Family, and both have links to the Elm Guest House scandal, which also has links to Jimmy Savile (Thatcher n all), I certainly think it is information which should be widely available for folk to investigate themselves.

So, why were you…..

When its “information” that’s easily available to anyone who can google four words

Did you just want to sound important ?

Guided discovery innit… also of such monumental magnitude that better to discover in small chunks than be confronted by a daunting earth shattering asteroid of truth.

nealglover
    Free Member

investigate themselves.

You are kasaeea (and the sunshine band) and I claim my signed fake moon landing photo.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I think the moon landing was legit

Junkyard
    Free Member

also of such monumental magnitude that better to discover in small chunks than be confronted by a daunting earth shattering asteroid of truth.

Thanks you for being so careful with my fragile grip on reality

twistedpencil

Err, my curiosity got the better of me, one significant flaw in the reasoning is surely you’d pay him off to not raise any media attention? Tinternet foil hats ll round?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Err, my curiosity got the better of me, one significant flaw in the reasoning is surely you’d pay him off to not raise any media attention?

Thats a fair point, however, it could be that by labelling Barry George ‘not innocent enough’ is a means of raising sufficient doubt to lead people to believe he may be guilty but there was simply insufficient evidence to make the charge stick.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Poor troll, or are you just thick? what do you think terms like “unsafe conviction” or “miscarriage of justice” mean?

I think they mean that the conviction was unsafe, and that justice was not done. Neither are indicative of actual guilt though. What on earth did you think they meant? 😯

You might want to look up the definition of ‘thick’ buddy. 😉 And a little tip I learnt when I was seven; best not to be cocky when you’re in the wrong. 🙂

Retrial made it rather clear that he simply couldn’t have been there at the time of the murder…

Really? That’s not my understanding. Link?

Cougar

You are kasaeea (and the sunshine band) and I claim my signed fake moon landing photo.

It’s an interesting theory (see what I did there) but our stats would suggest not.

nealglover
    Free Member

but our stats would suggest not.

108% of stats are made up on the spot.

hora
    Free Member

He was innocent of the murder charge but it wasnt an innocent life wasted for 8yrs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Not innocent enough…’ is closed to new replies.