Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Not heard much from Al Qaeeda for a bit, let's have a travel alert panic…
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Not much going on at the moment and people in the west feeling a little too cosy for some? Anyone else get a cynical feeling about this mega important travel alert from our American friends? Seems almost like it is simply there to invoke fear (call it terror, if you like).

Remind me, who are the terrorists again??

Rachel

Jamie
    Free Member

It is surprising, given the scope of the NSAs data collection, that they cannot narrow things down a bit from ‘worldwide’.

Cheers,

Danny B.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Rachel the terrorists are the ones who would cut off your head for being infidel/independent female/gay/blasphemous etc. . Flawed as all western democracies are and short of being perfectly tolerant, they/we have still made significant progress in terms of being a liberal democracy.

bigdean

Turned the news over after a 1min. Filled that one under “politics”, news for agender rather than the good of the population.

mtbfix

Maybe the various security organisations operate in the same way as local council depts. They have to be seen to be doing something or they lose budget for the next year. This is probably them just keeping THE FEAR on a low simmer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Annoying really – negotiating airports into africa next week for work just became a pain in hoop

onehundredthidiot

Be glad they haven’t identified extra terrestial terrorists yet. Alert could go to solar system or universe wide. Does worldwide just cover the surface? or does it include atmosphere and oceans?

andydicko
    Free Member

Its the end of Ramadan, they reckon trouble is due…

onehundredthidiot

I’d have thought during would be worse. i get proper grumpy when I’m hungry and looking at the unified prayer times you’d not want to be near me about 4pm BST.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Its FUD thats all. Once you know that, you act appropriately.

I wouldnt worry too much about either..

zippykona

Why don’t we get our fearless warriors for democracy, The Mujahadeen , to hunt down the Taliban.
    The mujas must owe us a few favours and they are our mates after all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Rachel the terrorists are the ones who would cut off your head for being infidel/independent female/gay/blasphemous etc.

So you don’t think that terrorising populations through overwhelming firepower, threats of shock and awe, imprisonment and torture, and indiscriminately killing people through the use of drone predators operated from a comfy chair in an air conditioned room somewhere in the Neva Desert isn’t terrorism ? Why ?

And btw we in the West don’t have the slightest problem with people being beheaded for things such as adultery, apostasy, drug smuggling, kidnapping, rape, witchcraft and sorcery.

It’s merely a question of who’s doing it.

Saudi Arabia: Five beheaded and ‘crucified’ amid ‘disturbing’ rise in executions

grum
    Free Member

Rachel the terrorists are the ones who would cut off your head for being infidel/independent female/gay/blasphemous etc.

Yes, going to war repeatedly over ‘resource security’ and killing many orders of magnitude more people than Al-Qaeda ever could in their wildest dreams, then using them as an excuse to suspend basic human rights – much more morally justified eh?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

geetee1972
    Free Member

So you don’t think that terrorising populations through overwhelming firepower, threats of shock and awe, imprisonment and torture, and indiscriminately killing people through the use of drone predators operated from a comfy chair in an air conditioned room somewhere in the Neva Desert isn’t terrorism ? Why ?

No I don’t because it’s not terrorism, it’s war and we didn’t start it. Plus I don’t agree with that the use of drones is indiscriminate. It might not be 100% accurate but that’s not the same thing.

just5minutes
    Free Member

8 people were murdered in Nigeria yesterday with Boko Haram warning of “massive” attacks in the days to come – al queda have also warned of imminent punishment for the west’s role in Syria so combined with the end of Ramadan let’s all hope the nay sayers on here know more than then intelligence services who look at this thing all year for a living.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No I don’t because it’s not terrorism, it’s war and we didn’t start it.

It’s designed to terrorise people into submission and achieve political ends – terrorism.

And we did “start it”. We attacked Afghanistan and Iraq despite the fact that they had not attacked us.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

We hear a lot, from the likes of the idiot Anjem Choudhary and the Woolwich murderers about how “the West” is killing their “brother Muslims” in the middle east and so on. Why is it there’s no protesting about their “brother Muslims” killing their other “brother Muslims” I wonder?

wrecker
    Free Member

I think Afghanistan was complicit in many attacks on the west as it permitted terrorist training camps. They knew full well what those guys were training for. However, I agree that Iraq is the most shameful entry into our recent history.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you think muslims aren’t bother by the daily terrorists killings in Iraq Woppit ? 🙄

Paulio
    Free Member

Boko Haram

Didn’t they do ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think Afghanistan was complicit in many attacks on the west as it permitted terrorist training camps.

Oh ffs, Osama bin Laden’s training camps in Afghanistan were built by the CIA.

The Afghan government were not behind any attack on the UK.

unklehomered
    Free Member

It is surprising, given the scope of the NSAs data collection, that they cannot narrow things down a bit from ‘worldwide’.

Equally possible its a potential solution to the Coventry Dilemma, they do know what the target it, but to reveal that reveals the source. So in amongst the massive smoke screen of ‘many embassies’ is one specific one they are worried about.

grum
    Free Member

I think Afghanistan was complicit in many attacks on the west as it permitted terrorist training camps. They knew full well what those guys were training for.

Surely we’d have been better off invading Saudi Arabia? Seeing as they are the main funders of worldwide Islamic extremism/terrorism and most of the hijackers and the mastermind were Saudi.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh ffs, Osama bin Laden’s training camps in Afghanistan were built by the CIA.

So?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I dont know about international terrorism however I really do think the use of drones to be despicable and cowardly and because you are not landing on foreign soil …….boots on the ground as they say, you can carry out these acts of terrorism relatively easy, therefore the more often this is carried out the less questioning we ask, it then becomes the norm, if you have to deploy troops who will possibly be killed and become injured apart from creating more media interest you also need to justify to a greater and more questioning audience, therefore your justification needs to be better, there is no justification for either Iraq or Afghanistan at all IMO.
    The lack of any real time served ex military men in modern politics also accounts for many of the actions sanctioned by an army of shine arsess

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So?

So the CIA brought Osama bin Laden over to Afghanistan, built his training camps, financed him, and supplied him with highly sophisticated weapons. Eventually Osama bin Laden and his Arab volunteers became by far the best and most effective fighters in Afghanistan, what did you expect the Afghan government to do ? Kicking Al-qaeda out of Afghanistan isn’t easy – the US has spent 10 years with all the resources at their disposal trying to do it.

And btw, we didn’t decide to bomb the **** out of Northern Ireland or attack Irish wedding parties because of the activities of the IRA or protestant paramilitaries.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Back in the ’90’s, a communications provider had several of it’s engineers kidnapped whilst abroad, by Islamic thugs who then beheaded the engineers, leaving their heads at the side of the road.

After the firm later went in to liquidation, one of it’s previous members (a bit of a technical whiz) put his mind to inventing a system for the military where any mobile phone call, anywhere, could be monitored and located using the technology available in GPS satellite tracking. Boastful Taliban and Al-Qaeda franchisees who previously thought themselves untouchable in remote desert areas, suddenly found themselves being targeted and killed.

The technology is still in use today, using drones to execute the miscreants.

Let’s call him “Clive”.

Well done, “Clive” – a real and productive legacy. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

The technology is still in use today, using drones to execute the miscreants.

And their families. And lots of other innocent people. Including medical staff treating the wounded from the first attack.

enfht
    Free Member

If only drone technology was around when Che was mounting his failed revolution.

kilo

Not heard much from Al Qaeeda for a bit, let’s have a travel alert panic…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23558930

There’ll be a load of people in Jalalabad going “… now why did allthegear have to go and say it was too quiet….”

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The reason why its been so quiet in the west is because our intelligence services are doing a good job. The police are very active on a weekly basis carrying out raids based on communications intercepts. And god knows what ‘black ops’ we’re engaged in around the world, let them get on with it I say. All this call for less monitoring of emails, phone calls and other things that is the only way for us to combat these cretins are ridiculous – google does it anyway, our society is hardly free and open, it can never be. This is an intelligence war, not a ‘boots on the ground’ war, so lets get those drones up there and keep an eye on them. Al Qieda certainly are not quiet in other countries and regions of the world. I’ve a friend who lives in Karachi and there are pretty much daily bombings horrendous attrocities carried out there, he’s too scared to leave his own house, so they are still very active. They want to turn every country in the Middle East into an extreme Islamic state. But as far as we’re concerned their strategy appears to be let things quieten down, lull us into a false sence of security, hope we’ll let our guard down, then hit us. They thrive on the illusion of a threat rather than real threats.

We can’t give these bastard an inch, and it is a war that can’t be won by any side, so this is it for the foreseeable future. These guys believe they are doing God’s work so the only way this can be settled is to irradiate religion. Obliously that isn’t going to happen.

And so what if in the past we’ve cosied upto these idiots. That’s politics, you can’t live In a dreamworld where you play by the book according to your morals. Today’s allies are potentially tomorrow’s enemies. We have global interest and we can’t fight all the wars and conflicts around the world we have an interest in, so we pay other people to fight our wars. We funded and trained the Taliban when the Russians invaded. That was a smart move as it halted the Ruskies progess and preventing them from dominating that region and having a platform to go further into south east Asia. Now we’re fighting the Taliban. That’s the world we’ve created for ourselves, unfortunately.

yunki
    Free Member

Rachel the terrorists are the ones who would cut off your head for being infidel/independent female/gay/blasphemous etc. . Flawed as all western democracies are and short of being perfectly tolerant, they/we have still made significant progress in terms of being a liberal democracy.

that’s interesting, as not long ago a terrorist could be farely accurately defined as someone prepared to involve innocent civilians in an act of aggression and/or violence to forward their political agenda..
    hundreds of terrorist groups from all over the world, east and west, that didn’t necessarily have anything whatsoever to do with religious fundamentalism..

now it seems from geetee’s post that Muslim fundamentalist and terrorist are terms that are interchangeable for your basic media quaffing joe public..

maybe it’s time that the situation was clearly redefined before the xenophobia gets out of hand..?
    or is the xenophobia a useful part of the mechanism..?

it’s very easy to see why folk get confused about who, what or where the threat of terror is coming from

wrecker
    Free Member

Drones aren’t fair?
    I’m not a fan of drones, but one side pointing and shouting “no fair” whilst behaving in the manner AQ/terry does is necky.

Oh, and blaming the Americans for AQ is inaccurate. The northern alliance is not AQ. The mujahideen are not AQ. Most of AQ are foreigners (referred to by locals as “the foreigners”)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The technology is still in use today, using drones to execute the miscreants

Execute, normally applies only when a fair trial has been carried out and normally doesn’t include the relatives of the alleged miscreants, if the act committed justifies a response then it is up to the aggrieved country to build a case and then pursue through internationally agreed methods, incursions into other countries using robotic killing machines is cowardly terrorism, bullying terrorism, the upshot of which will only create greater resentment throughout the world, the end result it is it us who suffer, the perpetrators who live within a fortress will never answer for horror they have created for the poor folk in foreign lands or the lack of liberty imposed within their own countries.

kilo

maybe it’s time that the situation was clearly redefined before the xenophobia gets out of hand..?

After all the shenanigans at tubes stations over the last few days I fear, unfortunately, we may be a bit late for that

kilo

wrecker – Member

Drones aren’t fair?
    I’m not a fan of drones, but one side pointing and shouting “no fair” whilst behaving in the manner AQ/terry does is necky.

It may be necky but that’s the way guerilla armies p.r work, PIRA frequently made play of extra-judiciary offings (Gib, Loughall, etc) and one has to ask if the drone strikes are a call to arms for the locals

wrecker
    Free Member

Miscreants? Don’t you mean enemy combatants?
    You don’t need trials to decide wether to kill the enemy.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s war

No, it’s not. Wars are between countries.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Not heard much from Al Qaeeda for a bit, let's have a travel alert panic…’ is closed to new replies.