Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Not feeling it with flats
  • oldbloke
    Free Member

Why does everyone seem to gravitate towards five ten shoes when using flats? Is it because the sole rubber is good, as with their climbing shoes?

Not everyone. I’ve been using an old pair of fell runners for 6 months. I may get some “proper” shoes someday, but the fell runners are handy for the hike a bike bits and haven’t slipped off the pedals yet.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Why does everyone seem to gravitate towards five ten shoes when using flats?

I’ve only used FiveTens and Tevas. The Tevas dried easier, but grip with the FiveTens was materially better.

opusone
    Free Member

For me, the big advantage of flats is being able to re-start on steep stuff when I’m not making a very good job of it. It also makes long hike-a-bikes more comfortable.

I think that was what I wanted from flats, along with a bit more confidence when jumping.

I also wanted to learn to bunny hop properly and just wasn’t getting anywhere with moving the tail of the bike around with flats on.

opusone
    Free Member

The fastest riders in the world ride clipped in. The best riders in the world ride flats. Who do you want to pretend to be???

Peaty, obviously.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Why does everyone seem to gravitate towards five ten shoes when using flats? Is it because the sole rubber is good, as with their climbing shoes?

I’ve ridden flats for ages now and for a long time used skate shoes, which were OK but the 5:10 Freeriders were a massive improvement grip wise, however I am now finding myself moving away from them.

The grip is great but they’re shit in the wet because they soak up water like a sponge. The Sombrio mid-tops I picked up from CRC for £20 are nearly as grippy but resist water better and dry much faster. I have some Giro jackets too which are pretty good. Both are better for pedaling in too because if stiffer soles.

I rode with clips for a few years and swore by them but started riding more DH / jumpy stuff to switch to flats. I’ve dabbled with clips a few times since but always feel better in flats. The thing I miss when using clips is feel, especially when cornering.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I also wanted to learn to bunny hop properly and just wasn’t getting anywhere with moving the tail of the bike around with flats on.

It’s always infuriating when people on the internet blether about technique. It is possible though. Heels down, push through the bike etc.

Whether it’s worthwhile is a whole other question – there doesn’t actually seem to be a trophy for bunny-hopping “properly”, and it is certainly easier to do something of the sort when you’re clipped in.

🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

I rode clips for years and years and always felt more comfortable clipped in. Then went to the alps for a week and decided to try flats. Found it much much better for going downhill and cornering. I found I could angle my ankle further back to gain more traction downhill – much easier to drop my heel

What used to happen when riding clipless is my foot would be almost horizontal to the pedal when going downhill and this is a no no.

asbrooks

After nearly 20 years riding SPDs, I’ve just put my old flats pedals back on. I’m hoping it’ll short lived (till the mud has dried up). 3 weeks ago I came off whilst negotiation a rather slippery (very muddy) section, I went one way, my bike with my left leg the other. Bloody twisted my knee. It’s still a little sore. Anyway, while there’s a chance of it happening again, I’ll be using flats.

Northwind

rhayter – Member

But really, life’s too short to have to re-learn how I ride.

There’s no reason to permanently change pedals if you don’t want to, both types are fine buuut, if you switch to flats and find control issues then there’s a technique issue there which you might want to fix even if you stick with SPDs. If you can transfer it back over you’ll probably find yourself feeling smoother and finding more grip and control.

But everyone should ride the pedals they like in the long term, daft for anyone but a professional to ride a bike in a way they don’t like. I reckon it’s worth really trying both, so you know which one you actually like, mind.

BigDummy – Member

Whether it’s worthwhile is a whole other question – there doesn’t actually seem to be a trophy for bunny-hopping “properly”

When you nail it, a high score flashes in front of your eyes in big gold numbers. So it sounds like you’ve just never managed it or you’d know, man.

longmover
    Free Member

Whether it’s worthwhile is a whole other question – there doesn’t actually seem to be a trophy for bunny-hopping “properly”, and it is certainly easier to do something of the sort when you’re clipped in.

I actually find it easier to bunny hop on flats

opusone
    Free Member

I actually find it easier to bunny hop on flats

I’ve heard others say this. I have some weird anxiety with bunny hopping in spds that I’m going to unclip by pulling up too hard on the pedals and end up on my arse.

plyphon
    Free Member

Decent shoes don’t have to be 5-10 branded. if you can get over not having MTB branded clothes head to toe, any skate or BMX shoe will work.

I’ve been riding in Etnies for years as they’re made to take a serious beating and grippy as anything. Fairly cheap too at anywhere from £20 to £60 a pop vs 5-10’s which start around £70 from what I remember.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bones – Member

The rubber *is* good, but they’re also designed to work well on flat mtb pedals. They haven’t just stuck a grippy rubber sole on a pair of trainers/skate shoes.

for example: the sole is stiffer than Vans, or running shoes / The sole pattern is grippy enough to work *ok* when walking around, but not so gnarly that they’re weird on pedals.

For a while, many years ago, 5:10 impacts were pretty much the only shoes designed to work well on pedals. they cornered the market. They were so far ahead of the game, that we struggled to even find them in bike shops, i had to order mine from a climbing shop.

Now though, other companies offer alternatives. which is great, as they’re all a bit different, and we can choose what works best for us.

(Shimano AM40’s for me)

and of course, plenty of people find that skate shoes work for them.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I made the change last year, from SPD to Flats proper, as I started coaching with Scottish Cycling and technique is better learnt on flats. The big difference was buying the right shoes (AM40’s but I also have ridden with Etnies). I wouldn’t go back now I don’t think, riding on flats has given me a whole new lease of life and definitely feel much more secure on the bike. Equally I had invested in some serious Funn Flats but then borrowed a bike with a very old and worn pair of Wellgo V8 copies and thought they were superior! Just ordered a new bike and some DMR V8’s to go with it.

bones
    Free Member

Thanks for the shoe info. Think I’ll order some v8/v12/Saints/Electrons, try them with my Inov8, New Balance, Samba, Shell toes 😆
    OP, apologises for taking it OT.

Northwind

TBH you don’t need 5 10s, or any expensive shoes, the best riding shoes I’ve ever had were some ancient Vans TNTs- really floppy soles but they gripped and they had feel like nothing else, you could tell where the pins were. Fantastic. You needed foot arches like iron bars mind.

Meanwhile the latest 5 10 Impact VXI is, IMO, completely orrible. And it’s not just me, they couldn’t get Sam Hill to wear the Sam Hill Signature model 😆 Foot anaesthetic, the rubber’s grippy but I’ve never felt so disconnected from a bike. But I love my freeriders

I think the main reason proper bike shoes are so recommended, is it’s harder to go wrong- whereas it’s easy to get a skate shoe or whatever that’s completely awful. My Vans Baxters are hateful to ride in.

I think the bottom line is, a really bad shoe can ruin your ride but any decent shoe will do the job. Really sticky soles give you a bit of safety net though which is very welcome when you’re tired, screwing up or pushing your luck.

metalheart
    Free Member

I changed to flats after a very embarrassing no speed coup landing on tree stumps battering my thigh and denting my top tube because I couldn’t unclip. I did try platform spds for a while but they really are the worst of both worlds!

The guys I was riding with at the time (free ridey biased) all pushed me to Flat Boys/5.10s which are a super grippy combo. However after a while I found them too grippy and that my feet would get stuck in the wrong place.

Now I also run (old) DX and sunlines with trail shoes, can’t say I’ve had any problems in years. And never seem to have any shin/pedal interface issues neither.

However I do not aspire to mediocrity as I achieved that particular nirvana at least a decade ago 😆

RoterStern
    Free Member

Those of you that do ride with flats… Do you need to wear shin guards? It’s one thing that has put me off riding in flats for mucking about in. Never worn leg protection, though sometimes I probably should, and don’t fancy that big piece of metal shin interface.

Euro
    Free Member

As someone with dozens of years experience of flat shoes i’d agree 100% with Northwind – you don’t need 5.10s. I’d always wore skate/bmx shoes (i was bmxing most of that time) but later riding the big wheelers i still wore whatever TK maxx had going cheap in a skate/bmx style (usually under £20).

Last year i got my only pair of 5.10s as a birthday present. I like them fit wise but the sole is a lot harder than what i was used to and lacks feeling. As for that special rubber? I can see why my mates raved about them but it’s gripper than i need tbh. I don’t think i’ll get another pair. Firm soled bmx shoes are still my favs.

edito:

Those of you that do ride with flats… Do you need to wear shin guards?

Only playing football 😀

I had so many shinbone shenanigans over the years my shins are like steel. Besides, i love a good shin scar. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t but with 5.10s you’d be doing something very wrong to slip a pedal.

opusone
    Free Member

later riding the big wheelers i still wore whatever TK maxx had going cheap in a skate/bmx style (usually under £20).

Do you not get wet feet?

fattyre500
    Free Member

Bloody love my saints.Shopped aboot and got em at a good price.Come with tiny washers fitted which you can use to customize the length of the pins.Used spuds in the past but after coming a cropper trying to climb a steep narrow trail i put em in the loft.

fattyre500
    Free Member

Rose bikes doing them for £34.45
    BARGAIN

RustySpanner

Don’t use your Inov8’s.
    They only last a few rides before being ripped to shreds.

As above, something cheap from TK Maxx or some proper bike specific shoes.

I don’t like 5 10 bike shoes either – badly made and badly designed.
    OK for dry places I suppose.

The sole is the only decent thing about them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got some skate type shoes for flats. Loads of grip and feel, but because the soles were so soft they were hard work to pedal up hills in. Or am I doing it wrong?

Northwind

Roter Stern – Member

Those of you that do ride with flats… Do you need to wear shin guards?

Nope. But I do have mutilated legs to be fair (it’s not so much the shins with me, it’s the calves- it just doens’t happen when I’m riding but if you crash, your legs are definitely in the firing line. But crashing hurts in various ways so it’s just part of the deal.

There’s also a constant background threat, where you go to push the bike across the garage and it suddenly stabs you. Or in my case, when you have one of th bikes hung from the roof and you end up with a pedal strike on your head 😆

Euro
    Free Member

Do you not get wet feet?

No wetter than anyone else i imagine. I did prefer mid/high tops for a bit of ankle protection. Duffs 4130 range were very good as were Nikes old 6.0 range (think they’re called SB now but don’t have the same grip/sole). Having a Nike discount store just up the road is useful for cheap/discontinued stuff 😀

kayla1
    Free Member

Vans + V8 (copies) = 😀

Anyone remember Adidas Fender Crawlers? They were awesome.

Airwalk Jims were good as well.

andysredmini
    Free Member

You don’t need shin guards but looking at my shins probably says otherwise. The deepest set were caused by slipping a pedal landing a drop to flat off the roof of a building. Chicks dig scars though which i have found is true. They make a good talking point.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I used to ride SPD’s all the time, but switched to flats about 4 years ago & haven’t wanted to go back.

I started out with a set of 5:10 freeriders & some DMR V8’s.

Having been used to being clipped in (I had been riding clipped in for about 8 years) I was concerned about coming off the pedals so switched during the spring when the trails were a bit drier so I reasoned my shoes would be less slippy on the pedals.

Part of the reason for the change was I had come unclipped while airborne & this was pretty unnerving for me (I did tighten the clamping of the cleats after this).

IMHO changing from flats to clipped or vice versa is one of the hardest things to get used to when going out for a ride. I reckon you’ve got to go for at least 5 decent length rides to properly get used to either.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I got some skate type shoes for flats. Loads of grip and feel, but because the soles were so soft they were hard work to pedal up hills in. Or am I doing it wrong?

Try pedalling mid foot-ish

molgrips
    Free Member

I did, still didn’t feel anything like as positive as proper cycling shoes, lower legs ended up pretty tired.

kayla1
    Free Member

Because you’re using your lower leg muscles to ‘balance’ on the pedals rather than let the pedals hold you in position. This is A Good Thing.

callmetc
    Free Member

My favourite shoe to use is a pair of Nike air trainer 2.

Nice flat sole. Not too soft, in fact quite hard when compared to my other trainers.

I have to lift my foot off the pedal to reposition as they just eat the studs on the pedals, as good as this is it can be bloody annoying sometimes.

fieldy
    Free Member

I used to ride with M324 pedals religiously….where you could switch to the flat side for the technical stuff and switch to the SPD for the climbing and fire roads. Not the strongest pedals but were fine. Not sure if I benefited from using the clips for pulling on the upstroke but I’m sure there is some benefit for some folk?? I have moved back to flats for the past 2 years and a pair of Vans and don’t notice anything different really….at the end of the day its personal choice.

Macavity
    Free Member

Macavity
    Free Member

Macavity
    Free Member

andysredmini
    Free Member

After watching the carnage today at a race because people a) can’t ride up steep hills and b) can’t unclip fast enough when it goes wrong I would recommend a lot more people to try flats when xc racing. It was hilarious to watch and made overtaking like taking candy from a baby.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Not feeling it with flats’ is closed to new replies.