• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Not entirely sure if this is proof of a changing climate, but…
  • CountZero

…but it’s not natural to find one of these out in February, surely?

Checking the locations of the cars in our off-site storage for a stocktake this afternoon I spotted it on the ground by a car. I thought it was dead, but when I touched it it raised its legs, so I coaxed it onto my hand and took it to the security cabin, and mixed up some warm water and sugar. It wouldn’t drink from a puddle on a jar top, but i dripped some onto my finger and it was happily drinking that.

I couldn’t think what to do with it, I was (supposed to be) working, so I put it onto a sheltered clump of stonecrop that’s coming into flower and left it, but it had disappeared a bit later when I checked it.
    Hopefully the sugar and the warmth from my hand gave it enough energy and strength to return to its nest.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not evidence of changing climate, it’s evidence of a warm winter. However, there is plenty of other evidence of changing climate gathered from loads of sources all over the world and studied extensively.

Bees send out scouts before the whole hive wakes up, to go and see if there are any flowers about. I think that’s what you’ve found.

jimmy

Nice. But yeah, probably not right.

Edit (after Molgrips) : Or maybe it’s ok

Drac

It’s been unusually warm in February double figure temperatures even through the night, they‘ll emerge from hibernation when it’s warm. The changing seasons is arguably due to climate change yes so it probably has a contribution to it.

mefty
    Free Member

Bees send out scouts before the whole hive wakes up, to go and see if there are any flowers about. I think that’s what you’ve found.

That’s a bumble bee which die out other than the young females which hibernate alone.

scruff9252

I was through in Aryle at the weekend and there was midges about when the wind died.

Midges. In Feb!

Hopefuthe promised cold snap next week kills the buggers

tartanscarf

I was through in Aryle at the weekend and there was midges about when the wind died.

Where was that scruff9252? None here thankfully ( Glencoe).

qwerty
    Free Member

I cut the grass last weekend.

aP
    Free Member

I saw a bumble Bee on Sunday.

Winter-active bumblebees

scruff9252

“Where was that scruff9252? None here thankfully ( Glencoe).”

Near to Benderloch / west side of Ardmucknish bay

avdave2

Definitely not normal, no way should cycling mitts be out in February!

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s been a very mild winter so far, but we were balls deep in snow in March a few years ago weren’t we? I’m sure it was mild Feb and then snowy March.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He also needs your boots and your motorcycle.

andy5390

This was taken on 27th February 2 years ago, about 4 o’clock in the morning.

Ride home was interesting, luckily, I had just changed my tyres from 32mm Gators to “fat” 35mm CX tyres

No photo description available.

chestrockwell

Grass is growing in my garden as are the chives. Hasn’t felt especially mild up here in North Yorkshire but we’ve not had much snow. Plenty of icy mornings though.

BillMC

Some of my garlic has sprouted 4 inches already and I cut the grass last week, East Midlands.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Hasn’t felt especially mild up here in North Yorkshire but we’ve not had much snow

I’m guessing you’re a fair way up Dale, we’ve had nowt at the posh end.

Flew through my open office window on 9th of December

CountZero

They’re not specifically cycling mitts, they’re a cheap knockoff of Oakley Factory Pilot tactical gloves, but a fingerless version. The carbon knuckle protectors are handy when having to peer underneath cars to check for hidden spare wheels, I can’t kneel properly due to iffy knees, so I can support myself on my knuckles on rough gravel and push myself back up again, plus they’re just warm enough in cool weather.
    Anyway, it was warm enough today that one of the team was wandering around in shorts and a tee shirt! 😳

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s evidence of local weather.

If you want evidence of climate change, look at the sea temperatures (not the surface temp) over time.

chestrockwell

I’m guessing you’re a fair way up Dale, we’ve had nowt at the posh end.

Skipton so not really although our house is up towards the moor. I was in Leyburn the other day and that was properly cold, brrrrrr!

toby1

Saw bees on a couple of the days in Meribel last week, airborne happy bees too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Not entirely sure if this is proof of a changing climate, but…’ is closed to new replies.