Not another, yet another van conversion thread.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Not another, yet another van conversion thread.
  • Both my conversions have cost £5-6k in parts alone, thats a fairly good quality conversion with double glazed windows, heating, insulation, pumped water, well equipped kitchen. They also took hundreds of hours, a pro converter would be much quicker but I suspect the labour rate would be well in excess of the parts, especially if you want a non-standard and fiddly layout eeking out all the space.

The popular vans such as T5s must be quite easy as you can buy pre-built units or flat packs that perfectly fit the van, which takes away countless days of scribing cardboard templates trying to make everything from a small shelf to a whole wall that will fit the wheelarch, curved floor, sloping roof and the next bit of furniture and that water fill point you put in without realising it would get in the way, without any huge gaps, or tight spots that squeak when you drive!

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

not for 5k.

Cheers trail-rat

Was that van “nice”. Is painted ply and a fixed bed actually not much of a saving?

trail_rat

Painted ply save you about 1k over vohsprunger.the wood work is the cheap part

You can go cheaper on the components but they generally don’t last or work very well.

Fridge , sink/hob /pump / proper isolation box , leisure battery and charger , lighting , switches roof lights and functional windows ,, heater all add up

I’ve used normal ply and a fixed bed in my conversions…as trailrat says, its the parts that add up.

Its not hard to sink close to a grand into windows, rooflights and sealant. If you want an oven, compressor fridge, custom space saving tanks and refillable LPG, another grand please. A 2nd hand single passenger seat and a couple of swivels, £500.

And then there are all the little bits, plumbing connectors, crimps, heavy duty battery cables, fuse boxes, interior lighting. The costs keep on coming!

At the same time you can do it for less by using cheaper single glazed or caravan windows, 2 way fridges etc but generally (not always) it will show on the outside, and may compromise the layout/storage due to things like the huge vents needed for caravan fridges, or needing jerrycans stored under the sink unit etc.

andykirk

trail rat – Your post at the end of page 1 contains the most complex sentence I have ever seen on STW.

the00

You can save a fair bit by not having a cooker, fridge and sink. Use the money saved to eat out and interact with the locals.

PrinceJohn

Is it finished yet?

Not finished but we have insulated the floor and now have a window

null

And a sky window.

null

We cheated and paid a professional to fit them.

Spin

I’ll raise a glass to Roary. After 8 years of faithful service and many adventures our Transit is also on the way out. I’m hoping to get this summer out of it but it’ll be touch and go.

Best of luck Spin.

We are trying to decide what to call this van. Between René or Roary 2. Or something else, maybe Robbie. He isn’t as roaring as Roary.

ElShalimo

Call it  Renard (Fox) the Renault

ElShalimo

I must be they only one who thinks that Renard is a great name…..

andrewh

I’m about a week behind you OP, stripping out the ply lining to see what’s what, so following this with interest, and looking for ideas to nick. Plenty of detail please (especially a ‘how to’ guide with the electrics)

Its not hard to sink close to a grand into windows, rooflights and sealant.

I’ve budgeted about a hundred and twenty quid…
    Got a skylight here https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop/rooflights-ventilation/mpk-vision-star-pro-rooflight/ Also two tubes of silkoflex and some steel jigsaw blades. That’s the budget gone. Side window? On my previous van I bought a sliding side door from an old minibus for, IIRC about £100 and then sold my old windlowless one for about £150, just swapped the doors over, much easier than cutting holes and factory-fit seals. Currently keeping an eye on the ebay and the like for a suitable replacement door.

andrewh

Actually OP, now I’m on a proper computer and can actually see your pictures, where are you based and if you are local to Edinburgh would you like to sell me Roary’s side door? Can px for a windowless one if you want to keeo him watertight.

We’re in Buckinghamshire so not really local to Edinburgh. Sorry mate, best of luck though.

Marin

That roof light looks lots better than the one I’ve had fitted which is in effect a sunroof which has a leak again. I’ll see how my mot goes and may get one like that instead. The medium yellow van is 16 years old now so fingers crossed.

ElShalimo

Back to names:

Raimond

Renoir

Reve

Remi

René

Rochelle

Roland

Rose

Roxanne

Roux

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

We are trying to decide what to call this van.

Probably something in this you can use

Premier Icon roger_mellie
    Subscriber

On my previous van I bought a sliding side door from an old minibus

That is a great bit of lateral thinking 👍

Probably something in this you can use.. .

Urm thanks…

But seriously, and thank all of you for your input, but I think we’re going to go with Roger T Renault.

Andrew, Mr TW does the electrics and will post all the info as we get it done.

ElShalimo

I do hope you will use the French pronunciation a la Roger’s Profanisaurus

trail_rat

I’ve budgeted about a hundred and twenty quid…
    Got a skylight here https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop/rooflights-ventilation/mpk-vision-star-pro-rooflight/ Also two tubes of silkoflex and some steel jigsaw blades. That’s the budget gone. Side window? On my previous van I bought a sliding side door from an old minibus for, IIRC about £100 and then sold my old windlowless one for about £150, just swapped the doors over, much easier than cutting holes and factory-fit seals. Currently keeping an eye on the ebay and the like for a suitable replacement door.

That’s all very well if you just want a window. Spooky was referring to double glazed fully opening camper window with built in thermal builds and mesh fly screens.

Not all windows are equal

You enjoy that heki timid wheeler. I had an mpk fitted in mine originally it went brittle and opaque in the sun and broke in short order. Made the hole slightly bigger and went with a fiamma crystal 40 the second time. Still couldn’t stomach the cost of a second heki. Got a heki over the bed , can’t beat having it fully open on a starry night looking straight out from the bed

It’s been slow progress (mostly due to spending too much time riding bikes and going to the pub). However we have managed to get the wiring in and have pressed on with insulating the walls and ceiling.

How you getting on Andrew?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.