Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Not another standard wheel….no really
  • MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Just a very interesting way of getting the rear wheel in and out.
    From what I can see it still the same overall measurements etc.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/belgian-man-reinvents-wheel-146690

(but I don’t think 500km is that far…..)

joshvegas
    Free Member

That was a kick starter years ago, i’m pretty sure.

rickon
    Free Member

I love the benefits:

– No more dirty fingers
    – Safer for transporting your bike
    – No chain slapping about in transit

The value proposition doesn’t stack up, it’s an idea without a problem to solve. I wonder what problems it introduces?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I like that fact some people are looking into new idea’s and I like it, but it really doesn’t bring any real value or real world benefits to the table. But gotta say hats off to the guy for trying and actually coming up with some thing new though.

epicyclo

rickon – Member
    …The value proposition doesn’t stack up, it’s an idea without a problem to solve. I wonder what problems it introduces?

Actually it solves a lot of problems that we are just ignoring.

For one, it would make a full enclosure chaincase for a derailleur bike a possibility. and kill off hubgears.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

epicyclo like your thinking there dude 8)

brant
    Free Member

Quite a lot of comments over on Bikerumor about this.
    Quite a lot of prior art too.

D-Fix Rear Hub Reinvents Wheel Removal – Remove the Wheel, Leave the Cassette

muggomagic

I can certainly see how it would benefit the pro road teams for swapping out the rear wheel when their riders get punctures during the race.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I thought that, be better for race mechanic/teams, but I think a normal wheel QR will still be quicker. looking at the vid he has to unwind the QR a far bit, remove wheel, and then fit new wheel, line it up and wind the QR back up.
    Normal wheel change undo QR, remove wheel, fit new wheel do QR up.

epicyclo

muggomagic – Member
    I can certainly see how it would benefit the pro road teams for swapping out the rear wheel when their riders get punctures during the race.

It would help mtb racers too.

A few years ago I was in the bush watching a stage of the Croc Trophy and saw a competitor having great difficulty getting his wheel out and then in again. Obviously used to having a mechanic to do those jobs. 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

BUt saying all that, maybe this system would be better with disc wheels? seeing disc wheels are coming to road bikes/races.

leffeboy

yes, and have the ‘fixed’ side on the disc side to avoid the problems with rotor location and size

or maybe BOTH sides are fixed to the bike

runs off to drawing board…
    realises no-one uses them any more and is sad

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Not another standard wheel….no really’ is closed to new replies.