Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Not another Solaris thread…
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

…. Not should I get one, I’ve already got one.

My question is, has anybody managed to build a light/racey feeling one? My build is 1×10 slx, xfusion slide 120, hope/crest wheels and Thomson kit with no dropper. Hans Dampf+ Ardent combo, tubeless. Not a super high end bling build, or a particularly racey one, but what would you change to make it feel a bit ‘racier’ and drop some more weight? Forks for a 100mm Reba/Sid for sure.

Am I being unrealistic with it being a Solaris? Should I just get a different frame?

swanny853

Tyres. Tyres all the way. That’s the combination I run on my meta 29 and my god it makes it feel sluggish. It would cripple a Solaris.

Where do you live? If it isnt somewhere too rocky spesh control casing tyres are a pretty good balance of weight, life and tread. In the summer I tend to push it a bit- using ardent/thunderbird.

My Solaris has wandered up and down the weight scale the last few years and ive settled on something middling- pretty light wheels, 1x, dropper and the lightest tyres I think I can get away with for the conditions .

You can get pretty weight weenie or burly and ive ridden ones built up like that, but for my money the Solaris is a great ‘middle ground’ bike

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I live in the lakes, and have struggled with smaller/lighter tyres in the past. Maybe try ardent front and something lighter on back..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NormalMan

I’m quite a fan of my Solaris. Here are a couple of ‘blast from the past’ threads that you might like:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-used-their-solaris-for-xc-racing-or-endurance-marathon-races

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/calling-all-cotic-solaris-owners

Recently I changed the travel on my Slide forks from 100mm to 120mm.
    Mine is 1×10 XT. Also XT brakes. Hope tech xc wheels. Mountain King 2’s in 2.2 flavour.
    Fatbar lite with 60mm stem. Charge spoon.

oxym0r0n

I’ve raced mine quite happily and got some podiums – 1×10 xt, crests on proII, Thomson, 100mm fox f29s. I’ve always run racing Ralph/ new nobby Nic tubeless. I’ve got a few lightening bits: Niner Carbon bars, ti bolts etc. but I still like to ride it on the trails so not gone silly.

swanny853

OK,fair enough, that is not the place to skimp on tyres. I have more roots than rocks round here so I can get away with a little less casing. Perhaps something like an ardent on the front and an ikon on the back, both excited? Should be a fair bit more fast rolling, only you can decide when the speed stops being worth the loss of grip!

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Doesn’t help the OP really but mines a bit of a beast!
    Fox 34, hope/Stans Flow, 3×9 dropper, Han Dampf/Nobby Nic tubeless etc etc but love it like that.
    Don’t know what it weighs but guess about 30lbs.
    Won’t be changing it anytime soon unless the forks get swapped for Pikes.
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Not another Solaris thread…’ is closed to new replies.