Not again (iPhone content).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Not again (iPhone content).
  • Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

shrimp ceviche

sounds tasty

TiRed

Apple electronically traced the phone to a two-floor, single-family home in San Francisco’s Bernal Heights neighborhood, according to the source.

Anyone else find this a little worrying?

Apple electronically traced the phone to a two-floor, single-family home in San Francisco’s Bernal Heights neighborhood, according to the source.

Nope. All the current iphones and iPads have a find my phone function. It would have been pretty remiss of Apple had they not set up their own phone properly.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

tagging your prototypes so you can find them when idiot employees lose them sounds a shrewd move, apple being able to do this with a retail handset would be slighty worrying yes.

M6TTF
    z1ppy

djaustin – Member

Didn’t Singletrack staffer’s use it to great affect when there laptop & bag were stolen from a bike race – got the laptop back at least IIRC

TiRed

Then there was the offer of cash, no questions asked when they didn’t find the phone. 😆 It’s academic for me – I’m a Blackberry fan and my next phone is still delayed.

Dibbs

PR stunt

Probably.

Premier Icon transporter13
    Subscriber

im remembering a film called

Antitrust

😉

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

apple being able to do this with a retail handset would be slighty worrying yes.

It’s a built-in service on iPhones and iPads called “Find My iPhone”.

You register it with the service (for free) and then you can display the location of all your registered devices on a map (in an app or at http://www.me.com ). You can then send them messages, lock them or wipe them completely.

‘droid has similar phone recovery apps available.

http://lifehacker.com/5832947/five-best-phone-recovery-tools

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Yeah thats me being able to find my phone, I’ll repeat apple being able to do this with a retail handset would be slighty worrying yes
    🙂

edit – and to clarify, apple being able to do it if I’d switched it on “find my iphone” would be worrying, apple being able to do it without me activating “find my iphone” is rather more worrying.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Well Apple wrote the code and run the service. So yes they can do it.
    Legally they’d be on very dodgy ground though.

Bear in mind that ANY mobile phone can be tracked by the network operators, even without GPS.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Not again (iPhone content).’ is closed to new replies.