• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Northwave Extreme Winter GTX shoes
  • orangeorange
    Free Member

Well it IS nearly August !
    I”m currently hovering over the click button on these,and as they”re relatively expensive I already have the buyers remorse/regret,and currently navigating my way down want/need/don”t be ridiculous/ highway.

What would the STW massive do ? Anybody here have experiences of them specifically to guide me please ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-extreme-winter-gtx-mtb-spd-boots-2016/rp-prod123822?gs=1&gclid=CNfX6aWOls4CFUKZGwodFtQMFA&gclsrc=aw.ds

scotroutes

No experience of those but my Gran Canions smell of cats piss when they get wet, so assuming it’s the same glue they use, be prepared 🙂

Drac

They’re great and don’t smell of cat piss.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use Celsius GTX in winter and they are very much the puppy’s privates.

boltonjon

I bought some a couple of years back but didn’t wear them much in the first winter

Used them a lot more last winter and they fell apart – the adhesive on the sole came apart. Well outside of the warranty so was unable to claim

I’d never buy any more Northwave shoes

mrblobby
    Free Member

Went around this loop a few times for road shoes last winter. Ended up sticking with overshoes as there seemed to be something that wasn’t right about all the ones I looked at.

Sandwich

Cosy, dry feet in a downpour and no adverse smells at home. Just the thing for commuting or some light gnar. I sized up a bit to ensure that thicker socks meant more warmth not extra cold.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Thanks guys,predictably I gave in bought them.
    Cue 4 long days now of wondering if I did the correct thing followed by a euphoric peak around about Tuesday,mood thereafter determined by how much my work colleagues mock once I`ve opened the box.
    I”ll have the last laugh looking wicked-bad on the trails though,hopefully with dry warm feet,cat-piss TBC.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got the Celsius 2 GTX MTB ones and Fahrenheit 2 GTX Roadie ones and they’re both ace and miles better than overshoes.

I’ve used them down to minus temps (wind chill on the road bike) and with a nice set of merino socks and my feet never felt cold, stay dry too, which is nice.

The soles are very stiff and feel just like good XC shoes, although not quite as stiff as full on carbon soled disco slippers.

I’m a UK10 and got a size 45, they fit fine.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I looked at a lot of winter boots last year, these were on the list but reviews suggested they weren’t that warm. Just stuck with my shimano ones but they really won’t last another year.

Think I’ll be going with something from 45north, the japanther probably.

gren
    Free Member

Missus rides these on here road bike. Loves them

They are a bit lighter and sleeker looking than the Celsius ones that I have which are far better and warmer than overshoes

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    I looked at a lot of winter boots last year, these were on the list but reviews suggested they weren’t that warm.

Unless you have seriously cold feet they’re more than warm enough.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I commute 20 miles on some very cold days so unless these are rated to below 0 then they’re not warm enough for me.

cubicboy
    Free Member

i have these and wear them daily through winter on my commute (and extended rides) – I have SPDs on my winter bikes. I then wear them for all bad weather MTB rides. They are much warmer than my Shimano Goretex boots and far stiffer too. The main downside is that water obviously always gets in through the top – this is made fractionally worse on these boots as you can’t ‘seal’ the top as well as other boots. I generally accept that water will get in and now wear them with a pair of Rapha Deep Winter socks – a great combo.

njee20
    Free Member

I commute 20 miles on some very cold days so unless these are rated to below 0 then they’re not warm enough for me

I find them plenty warm enough for that. With woolie boolie socks I’ve nerve had cold feet.

My Celsius and Fahrenheit boots are about 10 years sold and still fine. Only complaint is that the laces are shit, but they no longer have laces!

Drac

I commute 20 miles on some very cold days so unless these are rated to below 0 then they’re not warm enough for me.

I’ve ridden in -6 and they were fine but I’m also northern so practically sun bathing in those temps.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Northwave Extreme Winter GTX shoes’ is closed to new replies.