Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Northumberland – where (nice) to go advice
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Loved rock climbing up in the great shire of Northumberland; want to take the family there for some out of the way rides but don’t know the region at all from a biking POV.

We can sort of handle red(ish)trail level or riding and have done Hayfield circuit in the Peak.

Any advice as to an out of the way(ish) place to ride.

Cheers folks.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m sure that Cougar bloke’s Nortumbrrrian!
    I’ve rode loads up there but not for years. Alwinton, Clennel Street, Salters Road, Windy Gyle, Love it up there but for me It’s a place for solitude.

fergal
    Free Member

Google middle route and the Uswayburn.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Cheers folks 😉

simonside
    Free Member

Whats exciting about the map of Otterburn range roads… unless you are a fan of road riding its 95%tarmac 😀
    Picture 1 is now a scar track that is “quadbike wide, tarmac smooth”
    Picture 5 is now an ex-harvesting area. It is passable with care but still a useable trail
    Try Derek Purdeys Northumberland MTB guide. A few good ideas, a cheap book and itll make you keep coming back…

mlke
    Free Member

Yup seek Purdy guide is a perfect start. Keilder has some marked routes. I like Cheviots the best.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Thanks for that, will grab a copy…..no, I don’t fancy tarmac roads.

Drac

I’m sure that Cougar bloke’s Nortumbrrrian!

Wrong Mod.

Alwinton are, Ingram area and Wooler will give you some great riding. Northumberland doesn’t have anything particularly challenging except part of Thrunton woods. Mostly it’s big open moor and nice big hills to climb and roll down. Hexham are should also be considered but I’m more familiar with the East side of Northumberland.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wooler and the surrounding hills are terrible places. Best avoided. Same can be said for Low Newton and Bamburgh beaches. Don’t go there at all, oh no……

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Drac,

It’s been a while, so nothing particularly challenging sounds perfect for me…erm, I mean us 😛

Drac

Northumberland doesn’t do beaches but if we did the Canadian Tourist board would nick them for Canadian Holiday promotions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8016246.stm

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Allendale/Allenheads/Alston for remote moorland.
    Thrunton / Simonside. Near Rothbury for good forestry commission.
    Hamsterley in Durham for trail centre stuff.
    Kielder for a bit of trail centre but mostly rest is fire road and midgies.
    Anything in Cheviots for remote grassy mountain type stuff.
    Chopwell outside Newcastle for urban riding.
    Corbridge / Wylum / Hexham for farms, old rail way tracks
    Consett for railways and routes out into wilder Durham
    Garrigill for real remote mountain moorland.

I lived there most of my life. Purdy guide ain’t a bad starter but there’s a couple of fairly naff routes in it as well as some peaches.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wrong Mod.

Bugga marra! I knew it was one of ya’s though but!

Uswayford, fell asleep there by the beck one warm day in 1992 while chilling from the thoughts of my impending divorce. 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland – where (nice) to go advice’ is closed to new replies.