Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Northumberland Riding?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Thinking of trying to stop in the Northumberland area on the way upto the tweed valley next week for some riding. Rode the naughty northumberland enduro a couple of years back (1st one) and so know there must be good riding around!

However, I’m struggling to find much in the way of routes there, and want to avoid conflict, the only suggestions I can come up with are many years old, so treating with some suspicion.

Can anyone point me towards some recommendations for a relatively short, but interesting (techy) route in the area?

Or should I just bosh upto to tweed valley and just ride there for the pm.

joemmo
    Free Member

Northumberland’s a big old space, are you coming up from the west, east or middle?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Heading up from the south (Nottingham) and wanting to get most of the way before stopping..

djflexure

I’ve done some enjoyable rides out of Alwinton and Wooler if you go via Coldstream. Take in tea rooms at Barrowburn for the full experience. Not that much tech though, more big days out in a fairly remote area. Plenty of climbing and fast downhills though.

greencroft
    Free Member

Sounds like Thrunton near Rothbury may suit the bill?

Plenty of steep techy trails in there to entertain.

As a bonus, it is just off the A697 so not far off a main route up towards the Tweed Valley.

Drac

Depends which way you’re planning I’m guessing A1 from Nottingham and then cross country to the Tweed Valley. A697 is a good way to cross over yes, so Wooler would be good.

I not sure if I still have planned routes stored anywhere but if I do I’ll post on here.

Take in tea rooms at Barrowburn for the full experienc

They closed about 2 years ago.

hot_fiat

Simonside nr Rothbury is good. Routes available from Thomlinson’s cafe next to the bridge.

Thrunton is superb if you like loamy off piste forest with roots and the occasional rocks. Nothing is signposted.

Alwinton can be bleak. There’s a reason the big hill is called Windy Gyle. Fun for a proper adventure, not really for a couple of hours to break up a car journey.

winston2005

Travelling up the A68 – you could visit Edmundyers and do the MBR Killer Route (also in Singletrack a couple of issues ago.
    Could shorten it by not going over Slaley and turning right at Penny Pie House above Blanchland then upto Bolts Law.
    Or Kielder – then drive up through Dead water on the way to Tweed Valley

smashit
    Free Member

Routes available from Thomlinson’s cafe next to the bridge.

That closed earlier this year too!

hot_fiat

No way! It was awesome.

Drac

Needed a mortgage for a sandwich and coffee though.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I will have a bit of a poke around to see what I can find before we go.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland Riding?’ is closed to new replies.