Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Northern Lights trip – recommendations.
  • Alex

Looking to take my wife for a surprise trip to Iceland to see (hopefully) the Northern lights. Was considering this trip:

http://www.icelandair.co.uk/offers-and-bookings/book-packages/package/item201439/northern_lights_city_break/

Any experience of this or any recommendations. Can only do a long weekend break.

konagirl
    Free Member

We did a very similar break, including a coach trip around the major sights close to Rekjavik (geysers, waterfall, rift valley, hydro power station) and a visit to the Blue Lagoon on the way back to the airport. We found we couldn’t book these any cheaper separately and would recommend both if you are there for a short time.

Be aware that the northern lights are a bonus to the trip – sell it as a nice weekend away to Rekjavik. You have to have both clear skies and good activity and so the chances of being out and about at the right time are quite low. Having said that I know people who spent a week in Norway’s lapland and failed to see them (mostly becaue of cloud cover).

Rekjavik is a nice little city. Alcohol is expensive but we thought food prices weren’t too bad. Can recommend “Icelandic Fish and Chips” by the harbour.

Alex

Thanks for that. Understand we’ll be lucky to get a sight of the lights on such a short trip, but should still be fun. I forgot that alcohol is expensive… might have to up the budget a bit 🙂

oomidamon

I did a similar trip with Icelandair, really enjoyed it. Didn’t see the Lights as it was thick cloud the whole time!

IHN

We’re off to Iceland for ten days a week today 🙂

disco_stu
    Free Member

I did a similar trip about a year ago had a great time though didn’t get to see the Northern Lights as it was cloudy ( not really suprising as its a basically a rock in the North Atlantic! )

It might be worth having a look at Expedia as they might have some deals available.
    Gulfoss, Geysers and the Blue Lagoon were my favorite bits

Alex

Thanks 00, two recommendations, I’m booking it!

10 days! – I wish It was challenging enough arranging secret child care for three days. Looks like it’s going to be mid march before we can get airport/hotel we need but give me something to look forward too. Although keeping a secret for that long will be nearly impossible.

Not booking any excursions – get the trip out to stare at the sky for free, but looks like loads to keep us occupied for a long weekend. I don’t think I’m going to get my wife to buy into a skidoo trip tho 😉

Drac

I would love to go to Iceland looks an amazing place not for the Northern Lights though as I can see them from just over there. —>

Alex

Booked. Last weekend in March due to getting a package that didn’t involve us flying back at 7am on our last day! It’ll take me almost as long to trudge over to Gatwick as it will to fly to Iceland but at least it’s not heathrow!

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you get the chance try the Mountain Taxi – huge 4×4 that’ll take you right up onto the glacier where you really wouldn’t think a car could go.

nedrapier

Good work! Enjoy!

Not sure what end of the budget you’re looking, but if you need accommodation, I’ve stayed at Snorries guesthouse. Short walk from town, nice rooms and breakfast, and relatively inexpensive.

IHN
    mr-potatohead
    Free Member

ask the receptionist at your hotel about the best independant trips to see the lights. I did this and while the coach from the main operators drove off after an hour seeing nothing , our guide said he’d stick around for a bit , half an hour later the skies went green and off we went , we stayed an extra [ very cold ] hour and saw loads, even stopped on the way back at 2am when there was another sighting. take a good down jacket

Alex

IHN – that looks awesome. Maybe one for when the bin lids have left home!

We’re staying in the Hilton which is a bit corporate (there was a far more rustic one I liked but couldn’t get the dates) but it’s close to town and has a spa. I know my wife well enough to understand the importance of such things!

4×4 looks fun. Apparently you can do skidoo tours as well which I quite fancy. I have a feeling my wife would prefer something to do with horses. I don’t like horses. No brakes.

We have one ‘free’ pass to go out to see the lights and I was already thinking if it was clear, we’d book something independent for the second night. Fancy doing some whale watching as well if we can.

Thanks all for the info/recommendations. Going to be strange going on hols without the kids. No idea what we’ll talk about 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Northern Lights trip – recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.