Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • North Yorkshire to Bracknell (well Lapland UK)
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Tomorrow we are taking our kids to see Father Christmas and I was wondering what might be the best option – M1 (loads of roadworks every time I have used it recently), A1 (meaning more time on the M25) or cut across from the M1 onto the M42, M40 and onto A roads for the last bit.

Never been to this part of the country before so advice very much appreciated, thank you.

zerogreg
    Free Member

M1 then cut across to M40 using A43 at Northampton and then its an easy run into Bracknell! I used to travel this way to Nottingham from Bracknell when at Uni and found it the quickest & easiest option – I avoid the M25 at all costs!

theotherjonv

Yes, M1 / M42 / M40 or M1 / A43 (watch out for speed cameras – they’re forward facing so once you see it you’re in its sights. Not that you’d speed at all, ahem!) M40.

There’s a Greggs at Cherwell Valley on the M40 / A43 junction too – corporate traveller me!

From the M40 at High Wycombe, then do A404M and then you can do XC to miss out the horror of Bracknell too. A330 / B3017

Mr_C
    Free Member

What the theotherjonv said except I’d go A1 > M18 > M1. There’s two sets of roadworks on the M1 between Leeds and the M18 at the moment and I’ve seen horrendous queues southbound when I’ve been going north in the morning.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Id do as mentioned above, M1/A43/M40/A404/M4/M329M.
    Used to live in Crowthorne and this was the usual way home after visiting my folks in Leicester. The other way was M1/A43/M40/A34/b4074 into reading and cut through to join the end of the A329M.

johndoh
    Free Member

Many thanks all.

🙂

joat

You want to travel on the middle of the country’s motorways… on a Friday, do you want your kids to hate Christmas? I’m sure santa has a nearer grotto.

Lucas
    Free Member

M1/M69/A46/M40/ rather than the A43 – that way your off the M1 before the massive 50mph section

but it’d probably be faster to drive to the real LapLand! you could get Santa to phone your kids? That was pretty effective in getting mine to behave this morning.

nedrapier

You’re driving from North Yorkshire to see a Santa based in Bracknell, Berkshire?

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve made the trip to Staines loads over the last few months from Ilkley and the A1 is the most reliable route by far at the moment in my experience

M69 a46 was even slower..

HTH

theotherjonv

Why can’t people just stay on topic?

It’s a fantastic experience – maybe not the same as going to Lapland for real but still extremely enjoyable. It’s not the same as going to the Village hall or the local supermarket, and his kid(s) will be of an age where they will only suspend the disbelief for so long, and the memories are well worth the effort IMHO.

Just like the Halloween thread, why do people have to feel they need to jump in and spoil others enjoyment of the things they like doing. on a forum based around riding bikes around a muddy wood, of all places.

ninfan
    Free Member

A1
    M18
    M1
    Off at J18 (DIRFT)
    Mcdonalds in Daventry, stretch legs at leisure lakes
    Cross country via A361 to Banbury (M40 J11)
    off M4 at J4 (A404)
    A404 to Maidenhead
    A308M towards maidenhead, then right at roundabout and towards Bracknell, but follow signs for Ascot and Bagshot when you see them, should take you the back way round to avoid Bracknell itself.

Thats the best way

if you can’t be arsed with all that, then A1, M18, M1, M25, M3, off at Bagshot (J3)

andy8442
    Free Member

A1 to Newark. A46 to M1, M69-A4600 -M40

johndoh
    Free Member

You’re driving from North Yorkshire to see a Santa based in Bracknell, Berkshire?

Err yes. That is correct. Why?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Probably less stressful to go to actual lapland…..

johndoh
    Free Member

And cheaper.

By our reckoning, we’ve got another two years tops for our two to find Christmas magical and we want them to get excited in the run up to Christmas and have lovely memories of their childhood before it all becomes nothing more than wanting the latest gadget and wanting to stay in their room all day…

pezza
    Free Member

Let us know how it goes, as we are going in a fortnight. Any tips / pitfalls / horror stories would be appreciated.

Andy

johndoh
    Free Member

Will try to remember to do that 🙂

muzzle
    Free Member

have lovely memories of their childhood

He’s right. Some of my most treasured childhood memories are of sitting in stationary traffic while my dad fumed silently in the front seat.

djglover
    Free Member

LOL

martinhutch

Are we nearly there yet?

nedrapier

Err yes. That is correct. Why?

Sorry john, just never seen Bracknell as much of a destination, that’s all! (apart from Coral Reef BITD and Swinley Forest, obvs)

But then I’m not in the market for a Santa experience, so what do I know?

It must be a good one if you’re making the trip, hope you all have a great day! 😀

Defender
    Free Member

From the M40 at High Wycombe, then do A404M and then you can do XC to miss out the horror of Bracknell too.

A330/A3095.

I agree with that, I used to have to commute from the Amersham side of ‘Wycombe to Bracknell on many occasions for several years, my then employers offices were in Bracknell, using the A330/A3095 from Maidenhead Holyport roundabout.

Moses

Reckon on 5 hours each way, plus stoppages. Rather you than me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bracknell.
    reminds me of a story from my ice hockey days watching Durham Wasps. Durham & Murrayfield Racers are in the final at Bracknell. 2 supporters are in the mens toilet & one says to the other, ‘so your’e from Durham & I’m from Edinburgh, WTF are we doing in Bracknell??’

kongman28
    Free Member

We’ve been twice, the last two years, thanks to rich in-laws (who arent real Lapland rich) and the kids have loved it, even the second time. There’s no real advice, just go with the flow and embrace it. The staff are great and you can’t tell you’re in a British woodland once you’re in. Relax and enjoy and soak up the memories. Take thick socks for iceskating.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Even my 5 yr old knows Santa lives at the North Pole and not in bloody Bracknell 🙄

theotherjonv

True. But you can go through a magic tunnel in Bracknell that when you get out the other side you’re in Lapland. Does he know that? [Or, does he know that by a quirk of nature, the weather in Bracknell is also identical to the weather in Lapland 😉 ]

Suspend disbelief and go with it. Your enjoyment comes from watching your kids enjoying it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well back from a wonderful weekend with two very happy little girls who now completely believe they have seen the real Father Christmas.

Set off at 8.30 and ended up going straight down the A1/M25 (a friend had done the same journey the day before without problems so decided it was the easiest way). Ended up getting there in loads of time so found a nearby garden centre and wandered around the Christmas displays for an hour.

I have to say that although it was very expensive, the experience was well worth it and they really do go to lots of effort.

@pezza – tips…

They tell you to get there 30 minutes early but don’t panic about it – all you do is check in which takes a minute or two, then you can exchange £££s for JJJs (Jingles) so your kids can buy things ‘abroad’.

If your kids are into cuddly toys, don’t let them (as we did with one of ours) buy one with their money as the gift they get from Father Christmas is a really quite decent cuddly toy (a Husky). I have no idea if *everyone* gets the husky all the time but all the kids had them on our visit. I didn’t notice if boys got something different.

Finally, when you get to the final bit of meeting Father Christmas, you need to ‘check-in’ at the waiting area so they know you are there (I assume you don’t need to be there exactly dead on the time marked in the ‘Passort’.

Have fun.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

2 supporters are in the mens toilet & one says to the other, ‘so your’e from Durham & I’m from Edinburgh, WTF are we doing in Bracknell??’

LoL

OP glad you and your family had a good time

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘North Yorkshire to Bracknell (well Lapland UK)’ is closed to new replies.