Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • North Yorks DH trails – Do any still exist?
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

Does anybody know of any DH orientated trails in North Yorks moors area?
    I ride at dalby fairly often, so know most of the trails there.

I’ve seen Wykeham and Silton mentioned on a few websites, but some have mentioned that features have been removed, does anybody know what they are like currently? Are the trails at Wykeham easy enough to find? Also have a friend who thinks there are some trails near Staxton?

Any others that are worth a visit? I know the hills aren’t massive, just looking for somewhere new with some nice descents.

I ride at dalby fairly often, so know most of the trails there.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd.

Going to head over to Silton tomorrow to see what its like, has anyone been up recently?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Have you ridden the hidden stuff in dalby of piste ? some great stuff to lark on, a few of us ermmm assist the trails here & there you could say though I can say I’ve never cut a living tree down, cleared a few fallen ones though. Loaming & Battle axe are good.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been going up with the Tuesday night lot for the last couple of months, and the off piste stuff is great 🙂
    Looking for similar stuff really but just fancy going somewhere new!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

There’s a very techy narrow gully entrance one with a big drop in it well hidden, if you’ve done it you’ll know exactly what I mean? & a off camber one steep through the trees very close to it.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I think I was taken on that run the first time I went with the Tuesday nighters, if its the drop in I’m thinking of it was pretty big (10-12ft) and I bottled it 😆 are there a couple of other options from the start too? One follows the off camber line then has some nice berms, and ends up with a 5ft drop/steep roll in to a fire road.

There’s another run that has some nice tight fairly steep switchbacks on it too, and I remember one with a small stone wall 2 ft drop half way through that was good fun!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

That sounds like the one you drop in then it’s a bit un sighted & whey hey down you go… the other steep of camber one drops you very steep down to the old ravine if you go right or bottom of adders climb if you go left, my self & a mate put them both in, there’s another very tight twisty one in the trees with a big drop right at the end near by think you may of described that one already..

loaming is the fast one that has the jump through the wall but if you stay high were it forks of to the wall there’s some really good stuff with a huge bomb hole to lark on that drops you into the wood yard.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Thats the one, I’ve not ridden the trail that ends up near the wood store though so will look out for it next time I’m there 🙂

Ended up going over to Silton that weekend. Really like whats been done there, some nice technical rooty/rocky bits and nice flowing berms.
    Looks like the trail fairies have been busy but doesn’t look like it gets ridden much.

I’m heading over to carlton bank this weekend to give it a try, anyone been up there recently?

gazc
    Free Member

not been dh’ing round that way for years but from memory:

carlton bank – supposed to still be trails there worth riding, think someone ran a race there recently(?) but not sure what condition its in

pately bridge (i think was public access – years since i’ve ridden it)

check out these guys http://cycopathcycles.co.uk/cycopath-bike-park/ they run race and practice days on private tracks pately bridge way

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Great cheers!

A practice day at cycopath bike park would be good, looks like they need 10 people minimum though…

Any links or info on the pateley bridge stuff?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I raced Wykeham about 10 years ago now. Remember it being quite a fun track. Quite short but good fun. From what I can remember FC bulldozed it all afterwards… I suspect where it is and with what certainly used to be quite a little scene up there it’ll have been rebuilt / other tracks built.

There is/was a DH track in Boltby Woods near Sutton Bank. In fact a quick google throws up stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbpdLmueZM

Where are you based? There are some good tracks within a short drive of some of the M62 junctions in West Yorkshire. Elland Woods just off jct24 has some good trails in them which locals have built (only shortish though) and I’ve not been for years and years but Storthes Hall outside Huddersfield had some fun stuff back in the day. Then theres Hamsterley etc just a hop up the A1 and Wharncliffe down the M1.

Is it the shop rides you do at Dalby on a Tuesday? Been meaning to try and get over for one for ages… Would be very keen on finding more off piste stuff in Dalby…

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’ll head up to Wykeham soon and see whats up there, can’t find any recent info on the web.

I’ve been past boltby woods on an XC ride, and remember a nice bridleway descent down to boltby village but haven’t seen any of the DH stuff.

I’m based in York which is totally flat but it’s not too far to venture to the moors, dales or peaks way for a ride. Was up at Hamsterley last weekend and love the tracks there (after scaring myself to death the first few times :P). Been meaning to go to wharncliffe too, how does that hold up in the wet?

Yeah I’ve been going with the Tuesday night lot, we tend to mix in some of the better red sections with some off piste stuff. I still don’t fully know my way around yet though!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Well don’t bother going to Carlton bank when it’s windy! Had one very slow run down, into the wind. It was hard enough trying to stand up near the top 😳

Went over to silton for a few runs instead, only 10 mins away and nice and sheltered.

Hoping to get over to boltby soon and see what’s there 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘North Yorks DH trails – Do any still exist?’ is closed to new replies.