Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • North York Moors Vs Yorkshire Dales
  • garage-dweller

Family camping in the summer with a plan to do some mountain biking and walking plus a bit of other tourist stuff.

Preferred campsites so far are South Eastern Dales or Western side of the Moors.

Is anyone able to briefly compare/contrast what trails are like, goods and bads for family days in the hills?

Kids will be 11 & 8 fit, strong and are capable of long days out on the bike or foot when plied with Haribo and flapjack. They’ve managed 10+ miles in the Lakes before (not the really high stuff but they were a couple of years younger then).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Personally I’d walk in the dales, and if it’s been dry, pedal in the moors, if it’s been wet I’d stick to the dales.

Really though for where to stay I’d look at the other stuff you want to do first, there’s walking and riding a plenty in both if you’re not wanting anything too techy and neither is far from the other in terms of travel.

(in honesty I’d look at York ish, it’s easy for both and plenty to keep you all entertained on any miserable days)

tomd
    Free Member

Both are fine places to go, I would say the walking/biking is sort of comparable. Lots of trails, plenty of elevation changes but not a lot gnarrr. If you go the moors I guess you’ll be closer to trail centre options at Sutton Bank and Dalby.

If you go the moors you can find quite a few short (say ~5mile) walks that involve a fair bit of challenge and interesting landscapes. Lordstones Country park, Hole of Horcum, Cook’s Monument, Roseberry Topping, Rievaux Valley and probably my favourite bit is around Beck Hole where you can do some fun river valley scrambling that the kids will love. Also steam trains. Any full day hikes are likely to involve tramping over featureless moor.

One plus for the South Eastern dales is you probably have some more options for “attractions”. Fountains Abbey is a great day out for kids, Brimham Rocks, Aysgarth Falls, Richmond stuff like that.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Same as above, except there is actually a wet weather trail centre option at guisben which can be accessed from Skipton, long Preston or Ingleton. Dales probably better for proper walks ie three peaks individually, great whernside, buckden pike, the calf etc. Re biking with kids err…tunnels and bridges, Threshfield moor circuit.
    Seaside option would be a big attraction for Moors but in Dales you can swim from the beach at semmmerwaterLOL

martinhutch

One plus for the South Eastern dales is you probably have some more options for “attractions”.

Although the eastern moors has access to the delights of Whitby and Scarborough. Air hockey and ice cream > some old ruin or a pile of rocks.

Disclaimer: I live in Skipton and my children are probably less interested to ruins/rocks/waterfalls than most. 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Both are good but think my preference is the Dales as the scenery is just stunning (not saying the Moors is bad though!).

Staying in-between as suggested above will give you the best of both worlds. How about staying in the Thirsk area? Dales, Moors and York (if needed) all within easy reach.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How about staying in the Thirsk area?

You’ve seen deliverance right?

globalti
    Free Member

Done plenty of mountain biking in the Dales and it tends to be steep and often on rocky tracks.

The North York Moors have a different character, really stunning scenically and gentler. If I was going with kids I’d go there rather than the Dales.

wzzzz
    Free Member

“The best MTB route in the dales is the A65 to the Lakes”

Hahaha I saw that on here once. It is true actually, but the Lakes is a class above just about everywhere else, some of the best MTBing in the whole UK.

Thats not to say theres not some great riding in the dales, just expect mud and sheep poo if it’s been raining.

jamesthorn50

I love in nidderdale which is just outside the dales technically but it’s an amazing place to visit with lots of riding and things to do for the kids. Check it out.

Scapegoat

Hole of Horcum

He-he…….!

devash
    Free Member

The Southern Dales are great for XC riding with little techy stuff while the north has some more rocky techy spots i.e. Reeth, Fremington and Gunnerside.

The Moors are also great for long xc days with some spots for more trail orientated days out e.g. Dalby, Sutton Bank and all the cheeky steep trails in Guisborough Woods.

Both areas are stunningly beautiful and have lots of non-bike activities to do with the family. Either one would be a great choice.

edlong
    Free Member

I love in nidderdale which is just outside the dales technically

Nidderdale is absolutely part of the Yorkshire Dales by any definition other than “within the boundaries of the National Park” – and that decision had very little to do with whether the scenery etc. warranted inclusion and a lot to do with a Water Board that didn’t want to be restricted with regard to large reservoirs and associated infrastructure.

tomd
    Free Member

Hole of Horcum
    He-he…….!

It’s not too far from the parish of Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre

slowoldman

The Southern Dales are great for XC riding with little techy stuff while the north has some more rocky techy spots i.e. Reeth, Fremington and Gunnerside.

…and if you fancy a change from camping there’s Dales Bike Centre and good pubs.

chestrockwell

It’s all been said really. As a Skipton resident I’d probably say Moors for riding as it has a bit more accessible land and more routes already written down. Saying that, we have plenty of decent stuff over here and plenty to do although the kids might like a seaside trip? Six and two threes really, I’d check the local attractions and see what the kids want to do when not biking.

garage-dweller

Fantastic thanks all. We’re opting for the Moors side but being on the Western side we will be able to travel across to the Dales too.

We did the Lakes a couple of years back and Black Forest before that. Kids love that kind of outdoors oriented holiday. I’m at my best on holiday when in the hills or on some water and the boys are the same.

Thanks again.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘North York Moors Vs Yorkshire Dales’ is closed to new replies.