Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • North York Moors route question (Moor to Sea)
  • jerrys
    Free Member

Anybody done the Langdale End to Whitby section over the moor?

Will a hybrid/touring bike cope with it okay? I’m going touring in July and want to use this bit on a route from Driffield to Whitby.

cheers

rezis
    Free Member

Do you have any more route details? I’ve walked a bit up there but not really cycled it, might do more this summer.

Hybrid type bike with sensible tyres will cope with most stuff, I have a GT Grade which gets most places…

jerrys
    Free Member

rezis – the route starts at Dalby Forest and follows the tarmaced Dalby Forest Drive from the Thornton le Dale end onto Bickley Gate and east towards Langdale End. It then goes north up West Side Road for a couple of miles until the tarmac ends and it becomes a forest track.It continues north over the moor to the east of RAF Fylingdales and eventually turns back into a tarmaced road (May Beck Farm trail) which then joins the B1416 a couple of miles south of Sneaton. I’ve recce’d bits of it using Google streetview and the tarmac bit is fine :), unfortunately the track isn’t covered.

As I said, it’s part of the Moors to Sea cycle route but not sure how good the gravel track is. I suppose I could contact the NYM authority and ask them.

northernmatt

If you remind me I’ll tell you this time in a couple of weeks. Doing the moors and shores adventure cross thingy which goes over the exact route you describe.

Edit: I’ll be doing it on a CX bike so I hope it isn’t a complete mess

jerrys
    Free Member

If you remind me I’ll tell you this time in a couple of weeks. Doing the moors and shores adventure cross thingy which goes over the exact route you describe.

I’ll do that, thanks. Good luck with it !

rezis
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen hybrid will be fine but use some CX type tyres or at least not skinny road tyres!

Either way have a great ride (and northernmatt too!).

I keep meaning to get up there but its a 25 mile ride just to get to Dalby. Taking the car seems cheating, live not that far from Driffield…

jerrys
    Free Member

I used to live in Nafferton. Best chippie in the world there !

rezis
    Free Member

That chippy is nearly a minutes walk from my house…

jerrys
    Free Member

That chippy is nearly a minutes walk from my house..

rezis – small world :). I haven’t been back to this part of the world for a few years. Last time was about 10 years ago when we were sorting out my dad’s will. Me and my brother went to the chippy and then drove out to the canal at Wansford – brought back lots of memories.

My plan is actually to start and finish my week’s tour in Naff. I’m aiming to either stay at the Nether Lane bunk barn, or camp (i think the farm with the Chuck Wagon does camping, or go posh and stay at the Star for a night), leaving my car near the church if possible.

Can I pick your brains offline sometime? My email is jerrysiddleatgmail.com.

cheers

rezis
    Free Member

Hehe, going posh at The Star…

rezis
    Free Member

Nether Lane bunk barn has just been sold I think. Might be worth checking if they still are taking lodgers!

jerrys
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on that. I’ve still got 3 months to get sorted.

northernmatt

Jerrys – The gravel roads are fine just the usual big puddles about in the dips and potholes. There is a little bit past RAF Fylindales which is best described as bog. It’s rideable but it was very wet yesterday. I don’t think overnight rain helped but it may be okay for July.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘North York Moors route question (Moor to Sea)’ is closed to new replies.