• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • North West Scotland lightweight tour next week, any advice?
  • oysterkite
    Free Member

So I’m catching the overnight sleeper to Inverness next week and riding a circular route (Overnight in Applecross, Ullapool, Tongue) riding between 140 & 160k a day on a lightweight crosser in road guise (1×11, 28mm tyres) luggage limited to 4 or 5 litres (basically waterproofs, spare bibs, a few tools and small wash kit) . Aside from preparing for bad weather any other advice? (I appreciate I might see the irony of this further down the line but was wondering about how easy to fill water bottles on the route) Any thoughts?

jam-bo

MSR trailshot. refill your bottle anywhere you like.

scotroutes

Filling from streams and rivers is mostly ok. Usual rules about checking for dead sheep/remote houses etc.

Shops, pubs, garages will pop up occasionally.

Camp sites are another good source. They usually have an outside tap.

Church yards will usually have an outside tap for the house.

Maybe take a 3rd bottle if you’re the type that likes to drink a lot.

I cycle on and off road in remote Scotland all the time and the only occasion where I was short of water was because it was all frozen. Other than that, I never really think about it.

Other advice – carry food. A lot of places close down.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you are aware of the weather system incoming ? Dont go too lightweight m you may blow away ! it is very exposed up there in part to the weather.

Water is easy. see a moving stream – look up stream for a dead animal- if non . pick some up drink and move on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

MSR trailshot. refill your bottle anywhere you like.

careful now. Doesnt deal with viri.

But equally its scotland so refilling anywhere without a filter almost universally applies … and the places i wouldnt fill from i probably wouldnt fill from with a trailshot either….

scotroutes

Oh and take lights.

iainc

^^^ and an umbrella 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

good point there scotroutes – even during the day in scotland if the weathers bad, low cloud or driving rain and your on road youll want lights.

scruff9252

*Looks at weather forecast*

Pack a cottage with fire, a bottle of malt and a good book. Oh and waterproofs.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Everyone says the bit from Applecross to Torridon is harder than you think its going to be. They aren’t lying!

bigjim

If you’re on parts of the nc500 route just be aware of idiots pretending to be Jeremy Clarkson. Was up there a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at the amount and speed of traffic.

oysterkite
    Free Member

Thanks for the updates, doesn’t look like water stops will be too much of an issue then , not riding till Wednesday am so hopefully ex hurricane Ophelia will have come and gone !

ipark
    Free Member

Just cycling with your mouth open next week should keep you well hydrated.

ipark
    Free Member

Seriously though. Just beaware tourist season is pretty much over so some places will be closed. Don’t expect much to be open in the villages after about 5.30 and if you are riding on Sundays it’s even more the case.

Lights, yep, watch out for the NC 500 idiots and enjoy the best scenery this island has to offer.

matt_outandabout

Squeeze in a couple more base layers – a mechanical, a wait for a hitch and you will freeze…

felltop

May well pass you between Braemore Junction and Laide on Thursday. If you get waved at by a bloke in a Rapido Motorhome I’m not an idiot tourist I live there!!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The café at the bottom of the Bealach na ba is nice for a refuel and coffee.

And the Whistle stop at Kinlochewe is also a welcome stop.

ojom
    Free Member

Grayling Ultralight. Biased though. I distribute them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘North West Scotland lightweight tour next week, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.