Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • North(ish) Germany, nice places to visit?
  • philbert31
    Free Member

Driving to Germany via Bruges for a week with my other half and was wondering if anyone on here could give advice on where to visit and things to do, we are planning on camping as well as B&Bs so advice on good campsites would be welcome also!

Cheers,

Phil

brack
    Free Member

Munster is nice

I used to work on the Mohnesee lake just outside of Cologne..which is equally as nice.

Get to a Freibad…they are fab. Go barge surfing..eat lots of meat and drink cold beer.

Very jealous

philbert31
    Free Member

Bump!

ska-49
    Free Member

Not helpful but if you could go further South I can give you lots of info and places to visit around Frankfurt-Am-Mainz. Just let me know.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Hameln – Pied piper lovely town

mrmoofo

Cologne is an interesting City – and a fun place to sit around and drink a kolsche or 7. But you can look up what to do on google. And eat pig …loads and loads of pig

Maarsticht is not far away and very pretty
    The Eifel region is stunningly beautiful and on the german/ belgiun border. There is also the weirdness of the Hohes Venn just over the border
    Nurburgring
    Monschau is worth a visit and a stop – and so is the lake in the Eifel – and I can’t remember it’s name !!
    Konigswinter, just south of Bonn
    The Romantic Rhine – but the Mosel Vally is better. Trier is a pretty place to stay at the end of the Mosel valley, with some interesting roman bits in it
    Fantasialand theme park in Bruhl – just outside of Cologne
    Further south Heidelburg is well worth the trip

If you want grim but thought provoking – Bergen Belsen nr Celle
    Bremen is nice, Hamburg is a great city ….

althepal

Heidelberg is lovely but a fair trek south is it not? Cologne is great, cathedral is brilliant and theres so many lovrly breweries round there..
    After a few, make sure to get some currywurst. Mmmm.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How far east are you planning?? Hamburg? Really nice place…

MSP

You could visit the canyon shop in Koblenz (the other end of the Mossel valley to Trier) but I would advice not taking your credit card with you 😉

mrmoofo

I never knew there was a canyon shop in Koblenz …
    Might have to go and take a look!

kimbers

bikebouy – Member
    How far east are you planning?? Hamburg? Really nice place…

you lie!!!!!!!!!!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Uh, I quite like it 😳

davosaurusrex

My brother stopped at the Canyon shop/factory on his way through to Poland a couple of weeks ago with the intention of buying a bike. They told him he was difficult to size to a bike as “your legs are out of proportion with your torso. This is abnormal”. I can just picture it, them with their matter of fact bluntness, him all disbelieving and crestfallen, chortle! He wasn’t impressed, bought a Stumpjumper this week instead.

Sorry, what was the question?

stumpy01

You could easily spend a couple of day in Hamburg. Luebeck is nice but quite a bit further north (about 90km from Hamburg) and Dortmund is also a nice place.

patriotpro
    Free Member

+1 for Cologne. Berlin is another one to try and get to.

The train service is that good in zee Fatherland that most places are no more than a few hours away.

anjs
    Free Member

don’t go to Bochum:-)

corsair
    Free Member

As brack said, the Möhnesee lake is a lovely place to visit, very scenic. Just one thing – when you’re walking across the dam try not to hum the Dambusters March.

Philby

Another vote for Hamburg – go on a boat tour round the harbour.

bearGrease

There’s a mining museum in Bochum….it’s OK.

althepal

Its fekking massive is what it is! Drove round the nearby Krupps village as well. Lovely to look at. Just think what Cumbernauld might have looked like if the big war had gone the other way..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘North(ish) Germany, nice places to visit?’ is closed to new replies.