Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • normal 456 or summer season?
  • VanHalen

which should i buy?

i will need a bike with rack mounts for carrying hte sprog when it gets older so the DMR Exalt will have to go.

which of the above will be best for ragging in the woods over jumps/roots/shore/drops and general dh fun hooning. (when baby is not attached!)

looking at the DMR geometry the head angle of the exalt isnt far of the regular 456. i’m thinking the ss will be too slack of ‘wheels off the ground’ fun

i’ll be runnign 150mm forks, 50mm stem and flats. and i’m not bothered with uphill performance.

i`m leaning towards the regular 456 but pikey part of me wants to buy the cheaper frame.

what to teh collecive STW masses think?

cheers

mark

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a 456 with a 70 stem and 140mm Pikes and I wouldn’t want anything slower steering. On regular stuff in the UK I tend to run the fork less than 140mm too. Only when running proper DH stuff do I run the full travel. On a couple of Alps trips it’s been fine like this. Never thought I needed slacker angles, ever.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Had both, prefer the slacker angle on the Summer Season – oh and I like the finish on the summer season too !

brant
    Free Member

>Never thought I needed slacker angles, ever.

I think that’s natural. You don’t realise what the advantages are, or, infact, lack of disadvantages are, until you try something a bit slacker.

No laughing at the back please.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

why is slacker better?

brant
    Free Member

>why is slacker better?

more control at speed/through bumps.

Why is steeper better?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

So If I ran Nixon on a summer season, would that be silly?

brant
    Free Member

I think that any problems would come from the amount of fork travel, rather than the slackness of the angles.

VanHalen

i think a 6″ fork on a very slack HT will look silly.

i think i`ll go for the normal one.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

i love a slack one thats where the real men are at.just wiggle your hips more and she will enjoy it.oh shit this is stw and not readers wives 😳

slowmedown
    Free Member

I’ve got a normal 456 with 150mm Marz Z1’s can’t think how I would improve it.

poppa
    Free Member

>Why is steeper better?

More control at low/very low speed, and for ‘trials’ type manouvering?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

After having a standard Inbred then a slidy drop out inbred and now a Summer Season, I can appreciate the slack angle thing.

Feels nice with 130mm Revelations. Did have Pikes but they felt a bit too long and heavy for it IMO, why would that be Brant?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Perhaps because they’re longer and heavier?

😈

Clink

Perhaps because they’re longer and heavier?

snigger! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘normal 456 or summer season?’ is closed to new replies.