Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Norco Torrent real world experience
  • tuboflard

I’m getting tempted to splash out on a Norco Torrent and was hoping someone on STW might have some real world experience of riding or owning one.

I am particularly keen on steel frames with my full suspension bike being a Cotic RocketMAX and also have a Singular Rooster set up as a single speed which I love riding too. Thinking that a geared hardtail with a burly fork up front might just be the bike in the middle.

Most of my riding (especially now) is from my doorstep on the edge of the Eastern Peak so rocky singletrack and bits of woodland trails to go at. Please talk me in to it…

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I have one, The S2 with some mods.

I have had a moxie, BFE 27.5, blue pig and a BTR ranger. The Torrent is by far the most aggressive feeling of the lot. Climbs well too. Not tiring or anything. The steep seat angle helps with steep climbs and your not feeling totally spent at the top. If you are hammering steep downs then this is the HT for you. This is not a poppy fun bike on flat trails. It needs steep terrain to enjoy.
    Never struck a pedal through tech, has a high BB. Never been to any trail and felt outgunned on the dh side(common sense). With tire inserts I have even done a bike park or two before this Covid crap.

Been through a few AM/Enduro bikes such as the Commencal meta, Vitus Sommet, Focus Sam C, DMR SLED. This HT owns all those IMO and climbs better than the above mentioned. I no longer have any AM/Enduro FS rigs. Torrent does all the thrash and big mountain stuff. It is my ideal all mountain bike for Scotland. The moxie was close too but the Torrent has the edge on the downs. I have a 120mm trail bike for flatter trails and a Dh rig for park etc. I think the torrent fits in nicely.

I have a size large with 480mm reach. 5ft 11, 33″ inseam and it feels right in the middle. Not too short or too long.

There are a few good reviews around.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I like the look of the black sparkly one.

tuboflard

Thanks @lightfighter762, it sounds like a great bike. Might be a bit overcooked for some of the riding I do but to be honest the mellower local singletrack is all great fun on the Rooster, so this as my “other” bike and then the RocketMAX for alps trips sounds ideal. Just need to do a bit of saving up.

tuboflard

Thanks @TheGhost too, not seen that review either. And yes the black one does look rather nice. Pretty keen on the purple one too…

chiefgrooveguru

Looks great! Head angle, BB height and reach are near identical to a SolarisMAX in the same size but with a much steeper seat tube and shorter chainstays.

PURPLE!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I reckon this would be even more of a monster with longer seat stays.

There aren’t that many reviews about, but those that are are mostly American and they have a really different outlook on hardtails. Bear that in mind.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I know a guy selling a large purple torrent frame and stock 35 gold fork. Eye injury forces sale. Probably a few 100 quid.

tdog
    Free Member

Oioi!

A massive thanks goes out to lightfighter for very kind offer of the purply torrent

This beast is mint & angles seem totally radical to what I am used to hardtail wise

@op – get onit to buy one as Evans no doubt will run out of stock soon enough I would have thought

I’ll post pics up of complete build once finished via another device or send them to Mike to post up (😳) ha!

Loves Norco’s as they are always built to last and are quite intriguing designs
    My 1st Norco was a 2003 Drop – a 44lbs burly 5″ travel monocoque mini DH rig I managed to get imported via LLBs nos in 2008
    Cost me a pretty penny but had best yrs biking using that & ss inbred
    Hitting hip jumps & pumping through undulations in woods on the ss

All best and yeah go get your purple fix 👍🍻

trumpton
    Free Member

I think they look great.love norcos.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Welcome Tdog. I now have the black framed version!

tdog
    Free Member

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what size id the head tube is as have a tasty CK inset 2 headset to swap over to the torrent

lightfighter762
    Free Member

ZS44/28.6 | EC44/40

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Norco Torrent real world experience’ is closed to new replies.