Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Norco Optic, anyone ridden one?
  • Premier Icon Sir HC
    Subscriber

Reactor 290 built up, ready for the weekend.

null

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

so many nice options . some crisp new bikes in this thread!

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

Nice Reactor.

My camera sucks

null

I got a torrent Hardtail coming this morning. Riding for Norco in 2020 lol.

the00

Like the look of the Optic and the Reactor. They’re on my shortlist along with a Last Glen.

The Occam and Ripley sound ace, but the largest sizes are pretty short compared to the others.
    I’m wary of the Hightower because of the actual seat angle.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/nukeproof-reactor-290c-factory-2020-extra-large,santa-cruz-hightower-2020-xxl-low,last-glen-2018-xxl,norco-optic-2020-xl/

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

The Ripley – on paper – is similar to my RipMo in terms of reach. In practice it feels a bit shorter because of the seat angle. A Large Ripley does feel ‘smaller’ than a large RipMo as well. No idea why.

Anyway after about 2 mins I forgot about it. It’s a fun bike to ride and climbs like a goat.

I do like that Orbea tho. And the Nukeproof. Except for that seat tower…

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

Yat - The mud and sun edition

And yes it needs a 210mm dropper…

Premier Icon Bigmantrials
    Subscriber

the00

Like the look of the Optic and the Reactor. They’re on my shortlist along with a Last Glen.

The Occam and Ripley sound ace, but the largest sizes are pretty short compared to the others.
    I’m wary of the Hightower because of the actual seat angle.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/nukeproof-reactor-290c-factory-2020-extra-large,santa-cruz-hightower-2020-xxl-low,last-glen-2018-xxl,norco-optic-2020-xl/

I have been REALLY happy with my Last Glen, fit and finish on it is excellent and it rides very well, I would say that for an aluminium frame its also a respectable weight, XXL was around 3.2kg without shock, my previous Transition smugger was 4kg!

Linkage is quite progressive, I actually took a volume spacer out of my shock, I will probably try a coil at some point.

the00

Interesting group test here:

The Best Trail Bike of 2020 – 15 Mountain Bikes in Review

Subscriber

Thanks for the link.

Subscriber

I got rid of all my long travel stuff and just ended up with the optic and torrent.

null

the00

That looks lush! Slacker than my Cotic but shorter rear end… nice.

Guys who have purchased an Optic – any issues with it being ‘noisy’? I had an Evans “test ride” across a car park and down some shallow steps and there was a lot of rattling – could have been chain slap, could have been the enormous lengths of cables, maybe something else… I am deaf in 1 ear so hard for me to pin point.

walleater

I’ve built a few and not noticed anything. My Sight (which is largely an Optic but enbiggened) is pretty well silent on the downs.

Subscriber

MY optic is very quiet. I did shorten the gear and dropper cable by 10″. They were slapping the top of the crown on anything juddery.

Hob Nob

I’ve seen a couple of reviews commenting on both the Optic and Sight being a bit noisy.

Friend has caved and got a sight, I’m keen to have a go as on paper if you gave me a wish list of numbers, it’s pretty much hits them all.

Just wish someone else made something similar.

Interesting – I had also seen it mentioned in reviews that it was noisy before I rode it but what I experienced was pretty extreme!

Ay the thoughts on it @lightfighter762?

Subscriber

Yes Enduromag mentioned it as being a bit rough, not enough chain protection etc. Which I agree. I have wrapped my stay all the way to the chainring. It is quiet even down to the smallest cog. Maybe it was their setup. They used the stock protector and people either have them too far back or too far forward. Wrapping it all the way with mastic seemed to me the thing to do. As for the cables in the downtube. I have no rattle whatsoever.

A protector like on the Ibis or specialized bikes would be ideal. All the way. Even where the stay is cut back for chainring clearance.

null
    null

jackal

So, for those that have bought an Optic, what’s yours thoughts after riding for a while?
    🙂

tomdebruin

I’ve got the car park test on Wednesday – Optic C3 XL.

XL in C2 not available until end of May. XL in C3 available now but Evans only have 3 in the country they tell me. Getting this would leave me some cash to upgrade the wheelset for something a bit lighter, but my biggest issue is the fork – the Pike Select vs Select+. In real world terms it won’t make any difference to me but you know how the irrational takes over. The Pace RC295 I’ve been considering in XL is delayed due to Corona.

I’ve got an MTB weekend away coming up and was hoping to get sorted before then.

alebina

Hi!

I’m 1,85 meter, Norco suggest me an xl frame, I have a Transition Sentinel in L size and the Optic is size L is quite long than the Sentinel.
    Wich size you suggest?
    Thany you.
    Cheers from Italy

Subscriber

how long are your arms and legs?

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.