Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Noooo Bike frame`s busted
  • trout
    Free Member

Yep tis a 16 inch frame and with the big heavy tyres on came in at 28lb
    lightest bike I have ever had 😀

hummerlicious
    Free Member

My mate had a 303 break there as well!

hora
    Free Member

Reading into this- this means any 303 isn't worth peanuts secondhand huh.

Nice bit of marketing brant 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Reading into this- this means any 303 isn't worth peanuts secondhand huh.

Or brand new.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The "evidence" on here is nothing but annecdotal nonsense, without each of the cases being documented and confirmed as being frame-caused rather than post length or rider weight caused etc, I think you'd struggle to force anything under laws.

It's a lovely frame and there must be hundreds out there with no problems at all, but I'd be expecting more than 20% off a new frame.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The "evidence" on here is nothing but annecdotal nonsense

Maybe, it's enough to put me off the brand.

hora
    Free Member

There seems to be a common theme though. much like coil packs on early 1.8T VAGs.

Dark-Side

Maybe, it's enough to put me off the brand.

I lost confidence in their brand after they told me the reason for my brand new forks seizing on their second ride was due to a lack of servicing! This was after no more than five hours of riding. Not a very customer friendly company in my opinion, certainly not compared to the likes of Hope.

theflatboy
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

I think you'd struggle to force anything under laws.

I'd be expecting more than 20% off a new frame.

you'd more than likely get a lot more than 20% off a new frame without "forcing anything under laws" – whatever that means, as the laws exist to stop consumers getting palmed off in such a way.

hora
    Free Member

Why would you want the same frame unless the (potential) design flaw has been modified? 😕

AdeC
    Free Member

yup, agree with Hora. Balls to their 20% discount. I would'nt touch a 303 with someone else's

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I must say that I have been interested in Pace as an option for my next bike (when I eventually scrape some pennies together for it) but it's cases like this that mean I will just not bother to look at them. Sure, we may have just happened to hit a small seam of dodgy frames and all the others are ok – but personally I'm not prepared to take that risk when there are so many other choices out there and it's my money I'm spending. 🙂

5lab

surely there's something up with the actual design – I mean if you have 3" of seatpost in there (or whatever) why is there any strain halfway down the seattube? surely if anything the straign would be at the bottom unless the tube was unevenly shaped internally?

Macavity
    Free Member

Fracture toughness is more important than strength.

trout
    Free Member

Mail back from pace still sticking to £170 off the price of a new frame .

seems like even the new frames only have a 2 year warranty too 😥

Coffeeking rider weight ???? now yes I am a portly chap but certainly didnt see a weight restriction on the website 3 years ago .

I have requested they return the broken frame to me whilst I obtain further advise on my consumer rights

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Small claims court costs £50 and can be done on line.

Collect your evidence and go for it.

ChrisL

The "evidence" on here is nothing but annecdotal nonsense, without each of the cases being documented and confirmed as being frame-caused rather than post length or rider weight caused etc, I think you'd struggle to force anything under laws.

Fair enough, you only have my word (and photo) for what happened to my frame. Anyway I'll try and give a clearer picture of what happened with mine. It was a large frame with a 420mm seat post. It broke while within its warranty period. I contacted the bike shop that sold me the frame (Evans) and they spoke to Pace. The frame and seatpost went to Pace for inspection.

Pace presumably decided that I had run the seatpost inserted an adequate distance as I got an RC305 frame back. However I had decided that I'd prefer a different frame, partly due to a lack of confidence in the Pace frame and partly because I found it too short horizontally, so I sold it. I then spent about a year not really getting along with a 20" Scandal before getting an XL Chameleon and living happily ever after. 🙂

Before I got the RC303 I had a 19" Cotic Soul. Again I had a lot of seatpost showing but that frame coped fine. Personally I feel that because the RC303's top tube was dropped so far on the large frame size that it was a bit misleading to call it a large frame. It was reasonably long but because you needed a vast amount of seat post inserted it really limited how high the saddle could be.

Perhaps if there'd been an XL or even an XXL size I may still be riding one. 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

Drop this link to the fella in charge, Ade carter-be intresting to see his response if any…..

Bimbler
    Free Member

I've been toying with the idea of a 405 but must admit this thread is putting me right off 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Collect your evidence and go for it

Why? The warranty covers manufacturers defects within the first two years.

so the wording is there- it covers manufacturers defects within that period.

Jack outside.

theflatboy
    Free Member

doesn't make any difference what the warranty says, you have rights under the sale of goods act for items to last a reasonable amount of time.

hora
    Free Member

Good point/argument – How do you quantify reasonable amount of time?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Collect your evidence and go for it

I would, personally.

Dylan08
    Free Member

mass produced Taiwanese rubbish

😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

hora – Member

Good point/argument – How do you quantify reasonable amount of time?

it's not an argument – i'm letting you know your legal rights so next time you have something that breaks a month or two out of warranty you don't just put up with it and chuck whatever it is away.

montylikesbeer

I agree that to peruse through the small claims courts is worth it for £50 and a ruck of evidence collection.

Hats off to Brant for stepping in as well

highclimber
    Free Member

if an item is faulty (judging by the amount of people who have encountered the same problem, in exactly the same place) then the warranty doesn't even come into it. Consumer law is your friend in this matter. let them know you will be taking legal advice on the matter and see if they budge!

duckman

Have you thought about selling the knackered frame on pinkbike once all the dust has settled? Stick a pair of dj forks on it and some yoof will buy it. "wkd bke m8!"

Jamie
    Free Member

Altruism is his middle name……

theflatboy
    Free Member

i would write a fairly brief email to the retailer – it's they who have to sort it, not pace, as you have a contract with them.

say in the email that you've taken independent legal advice, you don't feel that the courts would reason that the amount of time you've had it is 'reasonable' under s14 Sale of Goods Act 1979. knowing your consumer rights you now intend to pursue it in the small claims court if they don't come back with a suitable response within 2 weeks. then do exactly that if they don't.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Altruism is his middle name……

what, in the middle of Brant 'will always offer altruism as marketing ploy' Richards? 🙂

montylikesbeer

If anyone on here deserves a helping hand its Troutie, my pathetic attempts at winter night riding would be even more chaotic/shambolic if it weren't for the master of lumen's.

theflatboy
    Free Member

in fact, about my above post i would write a letter not an email, just for certainty that they have something to pin on their board at work and act on.

trout
    Free Member

This was no marketing ploy from Brant He had no idea I would mention it on here , He just stepped in and did me a big favour and got me back on 2 wheels fast .
    so would appreciate it if the skits were not on my thread please

Thanks for all the usefull advise that has come in 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

fair play sorry and sorry to brant – just joking 🙂

(though to be fair the marketing ploy is the fact that it's one more ragley out there for people to see, not you mentioning it on here though that doesn't hurt!)

anyway, write that letter.

trout
    Free Member

Now for the advert 😉

I have got to add for a frame that sells for half the price of the 303
    it has a 5 year warranty and rides like a good un

writing like a maniac now

smudge
    Free Member

Go For it Troutie, 8)

The other thing to remember is although its out of warranty, its hardly like youve ridden it that much as you had been too busy building lights for everyone for the last 9 months 😆

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Put me right off Pace, for sure! they need to MTFU and stand behind their products!

kubber
    Free Member

Again I had a lot of seatpost showing but t

hat frame coped fine. Personally I feel that because the RC303's top tube was dropped so far on the large frame size that it was a bit misleading to call it a large frame

100% right – mine broke at the same place and I used a 425 mm seatpsot. It was during warranty and I upgraded to a RC405.
    Anybody heard that the 405 have the same problem? Here in Germany are not many Pace around…

Still thinking to buy a RC325.5 because I really liked the RC303

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Noooo Bike frame`s busted’ is closed to new replies.