Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • NooB Question – Hope headset bearing
  • applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Stupid question but I’ve just got my hope headset today and was just wondering what way up does the bearing go in the bottom cup? One side of the bearing is slightly angled and the other is flat?

Basically on the photos which is the correct way for the bearing to fit up into the bottom cup? Hope writing normal or upside down. Is this also the same for the top cup ?

Bearing upside down Text

OR

Bearing Normal Text

Thanks maybe someone else might find this helpful on a first time hope headset install.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I do think the flat side is flat the bevel should be on the inside not the outside.

The photos are comically bad for seeing what’s going on but I think the first photo is the right way up.

Simple check drop it into the fork and it should centre nicely. Confirm this by putting the fork in the frame if you have a gap between frame and fork… Swap it round.

snaps
    Free Member

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/Hope-Lower-Headset-Compatibility-Chart.pdf

The inner taper needs to be at the bottom to sit on the taper of the crown race.

simondbarnes

The outer tapered bit goes at the top

endomick
    Free Member

OD taper always goes in first, with the bearing in the cup the ID taper is visible.
    The internal shape of the cup matches the external shape of the bearing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘NooB Question – Hope headset bearing’ is closed to new replies.