Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Nonnie the Raven
  • Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

How about a boat refurbishment thread? Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

Last October the mother in law gawwwd luv’er phoned us to ask if we were still interested in getting a boat as they’re neighbours had one they were keen to get shot of as they were starting to get on a bit. We had mentioned once or twice that we’d like to get a canoe or dinghy to entertain the boys over summer. Well imagine our surprise when we got there and were faced with a 19 ft Manta day sailor. And here she is

We got her for £200, which was to cover the electric motor as they’d been messed around for a year by a provaricating couple who let them down in the end.

She’s a bit rough and ready but still all in one piece (so far) Needs new main sail, cabin hatch, old paint stripping, woodwork tidying up and solar panel and batteries fettling. The plan is to put her on Coniston for summer adventure s with the lads when restrictions allow. Will post pics as work progresses.

Pip pip and pink gins on the poop deck!

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Should be fun!

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

PS @kimbers if you want to make me an offer…….😉

Premier Icon CountZero

👏🏻👍🏼

Premier Icon kayak23

Nice. You could proper get your Simon Le Bon on on that!

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

Simon Le Bon on on

is there and echo in here?

Premier Icon kimbers

Thestabiliser

Don’t you dare!

Premier Icon Merak
    Free Member

I am subscribe.

Well bought that man.

Free Member

Crack or sticker?

One of the first jobs on the list was to investigate this crack. It’s on the junction between keel and hull and if serious would condemn Nonnie to the scrapheap. Fortunately after liberal application of coarse abrasive it appears that the joint is good and the crack was just surface corrosion of the keel lifting the paint above. Phew!

Premier Icon SaxonRider

Although I have no prospect of owning one, I love boats and feel slightly jealous.

That said, WTF does this mean?

the mother in law gawwwd luv’er

Free Member

It means God loves my mother in law, of course, you big silly goose.

Ply has arrived for the new hatch, will get on that tomorrow night

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Make sure you dock like a boss

Free Member

Ha! Like I’m going to be sober!

Hatch, and yes I TOTALLY DELIBERATELY did the grains in different directions 🤦
    Was hoping to get away with just the hatch but the frame needs rebuilt too. Pah!

Scraping off the old antifouling luckily it’s so knackered it’s coming off in chunks

Oh it’s luring you into a false sense of ease with the maintenance… 😉

I have to say that if I lived in the right place I would have some kind of trailer sailer. I miss having Loch Tay to myself and the keys to a Drascombe…

Premier Icon dovebiker
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but if anyone has a spare yacht, wants to move it to Tobermory and pay the mooring fees, I’ll promise to look after it and grant visitation rights 😎

Wouldn’t we all. 🤣

Free Member

That’s a bonny boat Moaab, looks pretty chilly there though! It’ll be fairweather sailing for us.

That’s a bonny boat Moaab, looks pretty chilly there though!

It looked even better when we gave it a lick of paint.
    The sun even came out.

Drascombe Gig

Free Member

Poor old Nonnie, have been too busy with the house to give her the attention she deserves. However yesterday finally got round to getting some paint on her hill

Primer

Blue

Think I preferred the primer :/

Premier Icon jimw
    Free Member

That brings back memories. As a teenager having to clean then re-antifoul a Contessa 26. Awkward because of the keel shape, usually cold as done before the Easter lift in and thick paint that took a lot of brushing on. I have never enjoyed painting since.
    However it was always worth it for the times spent on the boat. I don’t think I appreciated how lucky I was to have that experience until later.

Free Member

Aye hopefully can outsource this job to my lads when they’re a bit older! Sticky stuff.

She looks better for a second coat and the tape off

[url=https://poemsonly.com/poem/1528]how we met poem[/url]

Free Member

Update!!!!

Finally got her something like decent and Was hoping to take her for a splash around on the platty jooobs, sadly a precautionary inspection (preceded by the best part of a day gettinf ofd the locking wheel nuts that hadnt moved for 20 yeats and had no key) of the trailer wheels came back withe prognosis of instant fiery death. So…..

Uh oh
    Operation wheel rebuild began..got some bearings Check .now brake pads these hubs are 50 years old and made byou a firm that went under way back. 7in drum 31.5mm pad. Proprietary plate. So had to get some Lockheed nd reshape the with the grinder which took FOREVER!!
    Ta-Da!
    [url=https://treetop100babynames.com/]cute black baby girl names[/url]

Unfortunately I’d chucked out the bearing backing washers GAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Oh well. Nearly there

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Well done on getting to the point of a bit of sailing, but as its the maiden voyage, dont forget those life jackets.

Free Member

Noh icebergs on Coniston, lad. Although I have briefed the band.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.