Non-UST tyres tubless on XT WHM778-UST wheels?

Home Forum Chat Forum Non-UST tyres tubless on XT WHM778-UST wheels?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Non-UST tyres tubless on XT WHM778-UST wheels?
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

running mud-x’s on mavic 819’s here with sealant. They’re fine.

get somethign flagged as ‘tubeless ready’?

mefty

I have got xt ust wheels, not sure if that model, with another Maxxis LUST tyre on and it inflates without sealant – you may need to hold the bit around the valve to the rim initially to get it to seat.

mchlptchr

I’ve used a few Conti ‘tubeless ready’ tyres, and they go up fine with a bit of Stans.

tony24

Just so you know the conti’s are a pig to get to seal got 2 x king protections and they got loads of pin holes in the sidewalls 3 days so far shaking sealant around and there still losing pressure…

pigeonbike

Does anyone know how easy it is to run non-UST tyres tubless on XT WHM778-UST wheels?

In particular, I need to find a decent rear tyre for winter but do not want the extra weight of winter UST tyres if I can help it, just that I’m not clear how easy it is to fit non-UST tyres onto my XT UST wheels and still run them tubless.

I’ve considered Conti Rubber Queens, Bonty XR4’s, Mud-X, Maxxis High Roller LUST and a few others. I would really like to be able to use the non-ust versions if poss, but not sure how easy they will sit/inflate on my wheels with or without Stan’s liquid. Any insights greatly appreciated…

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Any “Tubeless Ready” tyres should be fine with a bit of sealant.

I put a bit of sealant in with UST tyres anyway

Go ‘tubeless ready’. I have a set of Mud Xs sitting downstairs awaiting mounting, so to speak.

Regular tyres *can* work apparently, but I’ve had exactly 0 luck with them tubeless.

Mister P

Conti tyres can have a slippery coating on them, it is a release agent so they come out of the moulds easily. Before using them as tubeless it is a good idea to give them a good cleaning so that the sealant can work properly.

andywill

Bonty XR4’s, Mud-X both went on perfectly.

tony24

Think i might have to get messy and take the contis off and give them a key with some sand paper or i could be forever trying to get them to seal…. Damn things

rewski

Add spesh storms to your list, very mud x in design, I found mud x wear quickly on drier trails. I’ve heard XR4s clog up a bit. I’ve also gone back to tubes.

pigeonbike

Anyone tried Nobby Nic SnakeSkin TL Ready 2.25 on UST wheels?

toonfan

I tried to get some Rubber Queens onto my UST rims, and couldn’t get them to seal. I’m not the worlds most patient person so i gave up and put some tubes in there..Plenty have said it can be done but next time i won’t be such a tight arse, i’ll pay the extra few quid for the UST tyres!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Non-UST tyres tubless on XT WHM778-UST wheels?’ is closed to new replies.