Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Non UST tyres running tubeless?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

As the title says, whats stopping me running my non UST Ardent and Crossmark tubeless? mAny one tried?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Nothing. I’ve done non-ust Highrollers and Continental Barons… probably some others too.

UST tyres have a slightly different bead higher grade rubber so it’s easier to seal. Think of them as 1.5ply.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It can work, but they can be fragile, loose etc.

warpcow
    Free Member

Run both on Stan’s rims with no problems. They are weaker, as Al said, though; I’d go with Exo casing or just LUST at least for the rear.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I run non-tubeless Bonty XR4s tubeless with Eclipse rim tape and Stans sealant and once installed, have had no problems.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve ran lots of non-tubeless maxxis tyres including standard and exo ardents tubeless with no problems.

dantsw13

All tyres are possible, but as you slide from UST to TLReady to Folding bead to wire bead, your chances of a faff/leaks/burps/blow off increase.

Northwind

Maxxises tend to work well, quite a lot of rubber in them, and quality beads.

It’s more about guarantees- most standard tyres do work well but without going UST or (better, IMO) tubeless ready you don’t know until you try. Even if a previous tyre worked well, no guarantee the next will as the QC isn’t designed for tubeless.

I think I’m about 50/50 with TLR vs standard just now, no USTs.

PJM1974
    Free Member

your chances of a faff/leaks/burps/blow off increase.

This rule also applies to buying fizzy pop.

And your choice of curry house.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve done it on the front (ghetto) but not on the rear. Sidewalls are too delicate for rears.

devs
    Free Member

I’ve done it for years on Flow rims with mostly Maxxis tyres. NEVER ripped a sidewall despite being very heavy and pretty clumsy and it being on a hardtail. Just don’t run them silly soft.

matt1986
    Free Member

I’m running some onza ibex edc casing on my ex823 without any problem. They went up first time fine.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

look on stans website they list some as a no no, think its in support section

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve had good results with various Maxxis Exo tires – usually it’s just a bit more of a pain to get them inflated than with UST (needed a compressor with my Ardents)

High Roller weeped sealant from the bead (where there were molding lugs), but sealed up eventually.

TRL Bonty’s have been great too (Big Earl and XR4s) – surprisingly tough for their (relatively) light weight.

Danno72
    Free Member

Nice one! Thanks everyone for your experiences, I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Non UST tyres running tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.