Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Non-tracking alternative to Google – Duck Duck Go…
  • Kahurangi

(e.g. as a frequenter of Singletrack you’ll be more likely to see Singletrack show up in the search results. And if you search for “on one” it knows you are more likely to be asking about the bike brand than the book or TV series)

Not when I’m at work and I want to find a DX or DU bush data sheet or local suppliers, yet instead of finding relevant results Google gives me lots of STW thread about DX shock bushings…

Speaking of which, I really should be working 😀

GrahamS

True, but if you’re searching for “bush” then it could be a lot worse!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Nealglover:

Nobody ?

I guess I was thinking about countries where people can get into fairly serious trouble for researching subjects disapproved of by regime leaders. Not saying that companies such as Google sell info that could get people arrested, but if you store all that data there exists the possibility it could be hacked and used to persecute people. Yes, you’d have to be nuts to spend that much time and effort, but there are plenty of nutters out there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

You’d also have to be fairly nuts to be openly using Google in such countries or indeed just accessing state-forbidden websites, without taking suitable steps to conceal your identity.

leffeboy

without taking suitable steps to conceal your identity

Especially don’t forget to use it after just having hacked the FBI 🙁

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/07/lulzsec_takedown_analysis/

nealglover
    Free Member

So nobody has come up with any good and legitimate reasons so far then 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, I’m often doing searches for interesting stuff that I’ve seen on telly, that might well trigger unwarranted interest from certain agencies.

You really think that if you search for ‘how to make a bomb’ you’ll start getting the FBI raiding your house?

soobalias
    Free Member

nealglover, do you ask a woman her age/weight?
    since when has personal choice not been a good and/or legitimate reason

nealglover
    Free Member

nealglover, do you ask a woman her age/weight?

What’s that got to do with anything ?

since when has personal choice not been a good and/or legitimate reason

I’m not forcing anyone to use google am I ?
    Dont worry, You still have your personal choice.

I was just wondering why people were so concerned that google knew they searched for pictures of titanium frames or whatever.

Someone suggested that some people might have “good and legitimate” reasons not to want google to have that information.

So I asked (a genuine question) what those reasons might be, because I honestly couldn’t think of any.

So far nobody has really got any.

Apart from just the generic “being against big companies making money” obviously.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thanks. I tried it, it found what I was looking for without the rubbish I was expecting.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Nealglover wrote:

So I asked (a genuine question) what those reasons might be, because I honestly couldn’t think of any.

So far nobody has really got any.

Apart from just the generic “being against big companies making money” obviously.

I’d already written:

I guess I was thinking about countries where people can get into fairly serious trouble for researching subjects disapproved of by regime leaders. Not saying that companies such as Google sell info that could get people arrested, but if you store all that data there exists the possibility it could be hacked and used to persecute people.

Ok, here’s a simple example: Syria. All conspiracy theories aside, the Assad regime is trying to stop information getting out of the country because there is a lot of horrific stuff happening (use of chemical weapons, indiscriminate shelling of civilian areas). Information is getting out, via sites such as Twitter, Youtube and GMail accounts. The Assad regime has not fallen, he could conceivably make up with the rest of the world, rebuild a few towns, splash some oil money around and say it was all a misunderstanding. What if he then gets hold of the information to find out who uploaded video footage of his army killing civilians?

There are less dramatic examples, and plenty of behavioural studies of life within a panopticon, where privacy is impossible. The popular phrase “those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear” has been amply discredited by people far better at explaining things than me.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ok, here’s a simple example: Syria. All conspiracy theories aside, the Assad regime is trying to stop information getting out of the country because there is a lot of horrific stuff happening (use of chemical weapons, indiscriminate shelling of civilian areas).

Ok fair enough.

Although I was under the impression we were discussing a load of Middle aged mountain bikers feeling they were “off the grid” because they looked for some pictures of Kylie without Google knowing about it.

If there is anyone on STW from North Korea or Syria then I’m sure the alternative to Google will be much appreciated.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few searches using Google, Bong, Yahoo and Duckduckgo. I’m impressed with the pertinence of the results with the Duck. An excellent addition. Much less language sensitive than Google.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Non-tracking alternative to Google – Duck Duck Go…’ is closed to new replies.