Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Non-Shimano External BB. Stupidest Concept Since IS Disc Mounts?
  • smiffy

We’re back to fannying about with stupid shims again! Shimano system is infinitey adjustable same as a headset with the pre-load thing; the others you have to torque it all and find it’s wrong and try something else. My thinnest shim is 0.50mm and it’s the difference between binding and flappy, creaky play. And you don’t want to keep taking a tool to those cheesy, thinly-anodised cups if you want them to stay looking un-butchered. This would be less of an issue if they lasted any amount of time.

I’m firmly back with simple, reliable, right first time ISIS and Square Taper.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i quite like IS brake mounts.

10 mins of fiddling to find the right number of shims, and you never need to think about it again.

post mount on the other hand…

(especially the stupid avid system)

bigyinn
    Free Member

IS mounts are an initial faff then once they’re set its fine.
    PM are easier as you dont have to mess with shims, again once they’re set its fine.

nickc

I read stuff like this and I wonder whether I’m the exception, or whether I’m lucky, cause I never have half the issues encountered on threads like this. Headsets go in, BB screw in, cranks go on and get torqued, brakes are fitted, adjusted tightened up…

Just lucky?

smiffy

Nickc,

I’m the same usually. I’ve been building bikes since 1977. Made a few mistakes along the way and learned from them. I fix bikes for half my village in exchange for beer, eggs, produce etc, I’m the go-to man around here.

I’d rather hoped that my post might elicit a Top Tip of some sort by now, or even point out a schoolboy error on my part!

trail_rat
    Free Member

IS mounts are an initial faff then once they’re set its fine.
    PM are easier as you dont have to mess with shims, again once they’re set its fine.

except when you remove them they never go back to exactly the same place.

all grand if you use adaptors but if your fork or frame is post mount then you have to set up again after. where as IS you just make sure you put the spacers as were and your good to go !

remoterob
    Free Member

You can’t strip the threads on an IS mount frame/fork.

smiffy

Surely no threads should be getting stripped in anything?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Non-Shimano External BB. Stupidest Concept Since IS Disc Mounts?’ is closed to new replies.