Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Non remote dropper posts…
  • lister

Apart from KS do anyone else make them? And are they any good?
    I don’t want extra cables, hydraulics hassle or massive price tag, but I do want to drop my seat quicker than a QR.

Anything good and cheap out there?

JoeG
    Free Member

The remote means that you will use the dropper a lot more. I raise or lower the saddle much more often that I shift my front derailleur! I’d highly recommend a remote…

Northwind

Gravity Dropper Descender… But it is a crap idea. The best thing about the Descender is that you can add a lever later, for not too grievous a cost, when you realise your mistake 😉 But learn from my mistake, don’t go there.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+1 for a remote – don’t need to let go with one hand when approaching a tricky bit……

Best mod I’ve made, bar none.

rOcKeTdOg

gravity dropper descender, easy to use on the fly, anyone who can’t must have some dexterity issues, add a remote if you want more weight, more clutter on the bars etc

zero-cool
    Free Member

I had a lever on my KS post and to be honest it was pretty much a waste of time, you can’t adjust it on the fly over rough ground or in the air (well I couldn’t) effectively. In the end I got a remote for it and it’s so much better, I use it all the time now (although the cable needs re-tensioning quite regularly)throughout my rides.

Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

gravity dropper descender, easy to use on the fly, anyone who can’t must have some dexterity issues,

I would say anyone who can ride a bike just as well with 1 hand as they can with 2 must have bigger dexterity issues 😉

Dan
    Free Member

x-fusion hilo and crank bros joplin have non-remote options

BillOddie

I can’t think of a good reason to NOT get remote dropper post.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t think of a good reason to NOT get remote dropper post.

i can: So you can use the seat / post in your other bike. But that’s about the only reason – remote FTW.

BillOddie

Pah! i can swap my x fusion hilo between frames in approx 2 mins. Involves 4 allen key bolts and a couple of cable ties.

Would take less time if i went the cable tie route on the ragley as well.

nickdavies

I can, so you can get bikes in the car. Inverted, front wheels off and seat post out 3 bikes and 3 bikers in my estate. Can’t do that with a remote unless you leave loads of slack and want seat posts swinging off the frame as you load. Mine was fantastic but sacked it off as too much faff, on the hunt for a bargain lever now.

To the op, offerings from crank bros Thomson and xfusion all available, crank bros normally the best cheap second hand option.

lister

Thanks for all the food for thought. I hadn’t even thought about taking the post out to fit it in the car…another reason for non-remote.
    BUT, you remote fans are being quite persuasive too.

More confused than ever…

Junkyard
    Free Member

i can: So you can use the seat / post in your other bike. But that’s about the only reason – remote FTW

2 bolts on a Gravity dropper for the lever a- I dont tie mine I tuck the cable into the loop from the front mech

I hadn’t even thought about taking the post out to fit it in the car…another reason for non-remote.

mine comes out without issue and routing is fine tucked in – I guess you could use a cable tie there as well but the post would still come out

I would just stick with a QR lever rather than non remote [ had one but upgraded it]as you still have to stop to do it so really the only issue is a bit more faff with a QR lever or a bit faster wiht the dropper. Not owrtht the money though. Imagine if you had to press a lever to make your suspension work on your fork leg – reckon you could reach it every time- seatpost will be harder dont bother please dont

chiefgrooveguru

If you’d be happy with a close ratio cassette (so you have to change chainrings about 5x as often as usual) and mounting your front shifter underneath your saddle, then by all means get a non-remote dropper…

Get a Gravity Dropper – they just work. Just ordered a second for my forthcoming full-sus – considered Thomson, KS and Reverb but ordered a GD Turbo LP instead. No hydraulics, no pneumatics, just a big spring, a pin and a handlebar lever which pulls so much cable that however dirty it gets it always works. Light too.

lister

AArgh! 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Non remote dropper posts…’ is closed to new replies.