Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Non-official Oakley aftermarket lenses
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

I have an oldish pair of straightjackets that are pretty scratched. Rather than get rid of them or fork out a large sum on genuine Oakley lenses I was wondering about getting some alternative brand polarised option. There are so many to choose from online and on ebay – does anyone have a real-world recommendation or suggestion on ones that are actually any good?

lightman
    Free Member

Just get a pair of £10 fakes from ebay that come with 3 lenses, the lenses fit genuine frames.

v55drw
    Free Member

Have had the three lens deals from both Revant Optics and more recently the Solar Lens shop on eBay, both good, polarised and UV protection. On the mtb where they get scratched etc they’ve lasted really well and have no complaints. Revant are based in the US whereas Solar Lens are uk based. Stick with good rated sellers and you won’t be disappointed when comparing against official Lenses.

tomhoward

Just get a pair of £10 fakes from ebay that come with 3 lenses, the lenses fit genuine frames.

Not IME they don’t.

spudly1979
    Free Member

+1 for revant frames

kimbers

Revenant lenses been very impressive in my genuine Oakley’s

CountZero

Another for Revant here as well, good customer service too; I had a pair of their lenses in an old pair of Frogskin frames, and managed to damage one, but the replacement had a flaw that was only visible holding the lens up to the light. I emailed them with a photo of the flaw, they sent me a new pair along with a lens cleaning kit.
    There’s also thesunglassfix.com who do lenses for some more uncommon makes and frames, I got a pair for some Arnet Ravens that I’d had prescription lenses put in years ago, and a new pair of lenses for some Oakley WHY8 frames that I got free with some prescription lenses.

thepurist

Revant and Fuse optics here, both great service.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Another +1 for Revant. We’ve got 2 pairs of flak jackets with 3 spare sets of Revant and quality is top notch. Come with lens cloth. Can buy direct from their site (they do regular promo codes to coincide with US holidays, Valentines, etc if you sign up to mailing list), or off eBay where it’s worth putting in a best offer on their BIN/offer listings.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

theflatboy
    Free Member

Sounds pretty promising about Revant, then – ta. I was looking at them but a bit hesitant as reviews on Amazon of their lenses suggest quite distorty lenses and the coatings come off quite quickly – you guys haven’t found those issues by the sounds of things?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’d be more inclined to get some cheap glasses from a reputable (but probably uncool) brand than spend money on something fake to fit some Oakley’s.

Alternatively… I can’t say from first hand experience, but I’m sure I’ve heard Oakley have really good after sales service. Will they sell you some genuine replacement lenses for significantly less than RRP since you have real ones?

swdan
    Free Member

As above, would be worth contacting Oakley, especially if you have a copy of the receipt (mine was sat in my inbox from years ago). I had some 4 year old holbrooks on which the iridium coating has started to come off due to being stuffed in bags/ glove boxes etc. Contacted Oakley to enquire about buying some new lenses, was asked to fill out a form and include the receipt and a brand new set turned of lenses turned up 2 days later, completely free. Was pretty impressed since they were 3 years out of warranty

kimbers

i read some reviews about revanant being distirted etc but mine are exactly the same as the oakley ones ( I tried with a lens from each, couldnt see a difference) I also think the coating has lasted a bit longer than the original oakley one

CountZero

Sounds pretty promising about Revant, then – ta. I was looking at them but a bit hesitant as reviews on Amazon of their lenses suggest quite distorty lenses and the coatings come off quite quickly – you guys haven’t found those issues by the sounds of things?

Nope, in fact, the prescription lenses I had in the WHY8’s were very expensive Oakley ones, photoreactive and with Emerald Iridium coating, and the coating started to wear off after a while. The Frogskins I have are both original from the early 90’s, with metal hinges, one pair have the original Fire Iridium lenses, the Revant lenses in the other pair are Midnight Sun, a Positive Red analog, and there’s nothing to choose between them, quality-wise.
    In fact, because I’ve managed to keep the Fire Iridium lenses scratch-free, I’m going to get Revant Fire replacements, swap them over, and keep the originals stashed away somewhere safe, let the cheap Revants take the strain and wear and tear.

surfer
    Free Member

I was in France a few years ago looking at new glasses because my old Oakleys were broken. The optician replaced the lenses free and told me Oakley cover all their glasses with a lifetime warranty. Picked them up a few days later and she had replaced one of the arms as well.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Actually that’s a good point about going to Oakley – they have done good things for me in the past with damaged glasses. Cheers.

aphex_2k
    Free Member
    ScottChegg
    Free Member

Oakley cover all their glasses with a lifetime warranty

They don’t.

When the arm fell off my Square Wire Ti’s they said the best they could do was 15% off a new pair, driectly from them.

Which was a lot more than I could get them for online.

BillOddie

/slight hijack/

Anyone had non-oakley prescription lenses for Oakleys? Partcularly Jawbones/Racing Jackets?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Got Revants, they are great.
    Got Ebay chinese fakes and the lens are weird a little distorted.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought some Zeiss lenses for my big square wires and they are nice – polarized whereas my oakleys weren’t – both lenses have their plus points, the polarized are darker and more contrasty but I seem to remember having issues seeing my tablet and phone screens through them.

richmtb

another +1 for Revant Optics

Got two sets of replacement lenses for my old Half Jackets. No issues at all very happy with the quality

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I use Sublime in Australia. They take a couple of weeks to arrive in the uk but they’ve done me 3 pairs now and they are great.

CountZero

I bought some Zeiss lenses for my big square wires and they are nice – polarized whereas my oakleys weren’t – both lenses have their plus points, the polarized are darker and more contrasty but I seem to remember having issues seeing my tablet and phone screens through them.

I’ve got prescription lenses in an old pair of Rayban Lennons, multipoint varifocus, drivewear photoreactive and polarised, and the polarised aspect is a pita with the glass on iPhones, iPads and iMacs; no blame can be levelled at Apple, I’m not even sure the glass itself is polarised, but it goes pretty much black at normal viewing angles.
    TBH I really could live without polarised lenses anyway, I don’t find any particular advantages to them.

CountZero

Two pairs of early 90’s Frogskins, one with Revant lenses, one with originals, and, apart from the difference in the actual base colour of the lens, (+red are grey, fire are a greenish-grey), there’s no significant difference between them that I can detect when wearing them, and I wore both today just to check back-to-back.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Non-official Oakley aftermarket lenses’ is closed to new replies.