Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Non Nespresso capsules
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Are these available yet, and if so are they any good?

Considering a Nespresso machine for convenience at home, however I’d like to avoid giving them more money than necessary.

AdamW
    Free Member

Heard that Waitrose do some but they are comparable price an not that brilliant tbh.

Search for cafe pods.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Why?

the_lecht_rocks

Dualit from Costco but not a patch on Nespresso IMHO.

imnotverygood

I’ve tried the Waitrose ones & they aren’t much cop. Weak & tasteless.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hmmm, not so positive then. Thanks.

theotherjonv

I’m sort of with you, not a huge fan of Nestle corporation, but the quality of the coffee from their capsules makes a hypocrite of me. Waitrose were OK for making a latte out of but for drinking espresso, the genuine article wins.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I tried 2 other non Nespresso ones. Coffee was so so. One was very hard to get perforated, the others were individually foil wrapped…

But… Nespresso are using Yodel to deliver their pods and it took 3 goes for the muppets to get it right today…

Grrrr

hmanchester
    Free Member

I was going to ask something similar but decided to break with convention, do a search, and add to this thread instead of starting a new one.

I’ve been using the ones from Cafe Tutto and they seem pretty good without being outstanding. Any other recommendations out there?

zilog6128

Considering a Nespresso machine for convenience at home, however I’d like to avoid giving them more money than necessary.

Did you realise you aren’t actually legal obliged to give Nestlé any money at all? This might make you moral hand-wringing a bit easier! 😀

earl_brutus

I just dont get the nespresso machine concept, you might as well just buy a jar of instant nescafe IMHO

zilog6128

I just dont get the nespresso machine concept

Clearly!
    Give this a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

earl_brutus

what I mean is, why the need for a fancy machine with individual pods and all that plastic waste, which from the limited stuff available that Ive tasted aint that much of an improvement over instant, I guess Im just old school with my stove top espresso pot ( cost me £1 at a yard sale 5 years ago!) and endless selection of coffee to go in it

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If you cannot taste the difference – then don’t waste your money…

For me it has replaced a morning cafetiere of lavazza red label. And a bitch of a job to clean it later. I do find a stove top Bialetti makes coffee I really like, but haven’t found one which actually works (rather than claim to work) with an induction hob.

hmanchesterthose actually cost more than the nespresso capsules (30p vs 29p).

My current favourite nespresso one however is the napoli “limited edition” – 6p more for a pretty capsule and a coffee with an intensity of 11/10

wilhay
    Free Member

I use these:
    http://finecoffeeclub.co.uk/
    good price, and very very quick delivery.

robdixon
    Free Member

dualit make the ones Waitrose sell – there was a court case last week about Nestle’s intellectual property rights – Dualit won.

Gary_M
    Free Member

what I mean is, why the need for a fancy machine with individual pods and all that plastic waste

What plastic waste? Pods are aluminium and nespresso provide a recycling bag which they get picked up.

Coffee is a million miles from instant b

mattyd
    Free Member

Have you considered a Lavazza pod machine? I have one at home and I like it. The pods for it can be bought in Waitrose. Fewer variaties than Nespresso, but there are enough that you should be able to find a couple that you like. I have a Nespresso at work and it’s great too, but unless you order significant quantities from Nespresso, it’s a pain that the pods have to be ordered online.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I find the order process very simple and generally order 6 months supply at a time.

zilog6128

I find the order process very simple and generally order 6 months supply at a time.

Yep, same. The only problem I have is that they’ve started using Yodel now which is a shame and doesn’t reflect well on the quality of the product or Nespresso’s customer service (which is excellent).

AdamW
    Free Member

I checked my finances the other day and was somewhat astounded at spending > £600 on Nespresso capsules over 18 months. 😯

Going to slow down a bit. If the nespresso machine dies in the future I may get a ‘proper’ espresso machine.

zilog6128

Wow. My last order was £60 which will probably last me for the rest of the year!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

£600!! My £72 order has lasted over 5 months so far and will last at least 6. But I generally only have one espresso in the morning and a couple of cappuccinos at the weekend.

rogermoore

Is there a reason they don’t sell the ‘official’ Nespresso pods in supermarkets?
    RM.

earl_brutus

£600!!! that’d keep me in beans for about 7 years… ill stick to my stove top.

zilog6128

Is there a reason they don’t sell the ‘official’ Nespresso pods in supermarkets?

Same reason you can’t buy a Canyon in your LBS/Halfords I’d imagine.

ransos
    Free Member

The Nespresso pricing model appears to be based on inkjet printers…

monkfish
    Free Member

The Nespresso pricing model appears to be based on inkjet printers…

Not really 30p a cup is quite reasonable IMO, if only I could stop the kids drinking it I might not have to order so many.

It would be nice to get them from the Supermarket but their customer service and delivery speed to date have been excellent.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Non Nespresso capsules’ is closed to new replies.