Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Non hideous mudguards
  • Premier Icon tjagain

Do they exist? for my shand I want full mudguards ( Its a bahookie – MTB) It will be used over winter in Scotland! Bite me!

I have found a posh carbon fibre front but the only rears i can find are relatively hideous or useless or both.

I have mudhuggers on other bikes and they just work but so utilitarian 😉

Is there any rear option that is elegant and works? preferably CF?

Or am i going to have to use a mudhugger? I don’t mind a road style close fitting guard but it has to be wide enough for 2.3 tyres

any ideas?

Premier Icon DrP

I think you know the answer… Mudhugger!
    THey look OK (to my eye) in a “gosh, aren’t mudguards ugly” way..but they are the best of a bunch. THey also work, and are pretty sturdy.

For the front I’ve found the RRP Pro fender guard is the best (beats down tube mounted guards) as it’s sturdy, and covers the wheel when you turn.

I leave the mudguards on my XC SS most of the year round..even to race XC on (I’d hate to have sand paste grinding my butt for 4 hours…!)

DrP

Premier Icon tjagain

I found a blingy front mudguard and couldn’t resist. Looks like it will work as well

CG570 Front Mudguard

Premier Icon convert

Oh why did you post that…….need to resist!

Carbon might be a bit snappy/cracky if abused rather than bendy with the usual polypropylene (I think) mudhugger number.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

SKS 75u

29er mudguards (again). Anyone tried SKS 75U?

Or the longest crud rear seatpost mounted one works well on a hardtail, get it as close to the tyre as you can.

Best thing about the crud is it takes 20secs to fit or remove with a 5mm Allen key Vs 500 zip ties on a mudbugger

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

For full wrap around road guards I think stainless one look the best.

For mountain bikes I reckon the original crud catcher still looks pretty good.

All mudguards look better than the “I just started up my back” look. Crack on.

Premier Icon thegeneralist

works with tyres up to 2.35″ 

Fail

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Is there any rear option that is elegant and works? preferably CF?

You know… The rear mudhugger would make a perfect mold for a home made carbon fibre creation. The additional rigidity should allow you some scope for altering the mounting system which is what makes it hideous.

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Do they exist?

No. But they are pretty effective if you choose the right ones.

Premier Icon twonks

Sort of linked to this but, does anybody know of a quick on/off front mudguard?

I have mudhuggers but its a pain when putting the bike in the car as it gets bent to hell.

Maybe velcro straps instead of cable ties is the answer ?

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

I use the Zefal RM60, it can quickly be removed and fits nicely on the short exposed bit of seat post I have available. It says up to 27.5 but I use it on my 29er and it keeps my back nice and clean.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

I figure you’ll try some snazzy, carbon fibre, aero-optimised, 3D printed wonder guard with titanium mounting brackets and end up buying a Mudhugger anyway cos it doesn’t work as well, so you may as well just bite the aesthetic bullet and get one to start with.

I understand the reluctance, I have an unused one sat in the cellar and can’t quite bring myself to stick it on my hardtail yet, but I know that day is coming…

Premier Icon argee

For XC, roads, etc the mudhugger is just unbeatable as a rear mudguard, just make sure to protect the frame before zip tying it up.

I tend to use a RRP for enduro stuff though, mudhuggers are prone to getting knocked off too easily in crashes, so anything where you might be falling off now and again it might be worth looking at something less prone to being knocked off.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Crud XL front is better than mudhugger and faster on off with o ring mount

Premier Icon ajantom

As above…Crud XL.
    Quick to fit and swap over, best coverage of the front guards I’ve owned, and has taken a lot of abuse.

At the OP – mudguards never equal stunning good looks. Just enjoy being cleaner, if less sartorially elegant!

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

I fitted one of those hideously enormous rear Mudhuggers recently. It’s even bigger in real life than it looks in photos, it’s a total aesthetic travesty. However it works so well – I can go to work via muddy trails and turn up with just the odd small splatter that the front mudguard (the matching but much smaller front Mudhugger) has missed.

Can a more elegant mudguard work as well? Sadly I doubt it.

Premier Icon tjagain

You know… The rear mudhugger would make a perfect mold for a home made carbon fibre creation. The additional rigidity should allow you some scope for altering the mounting system which is what makes it hideous.

Don’t – I had already thought of that! that way lies madness

I figure you’ll try some snazzy, carbon fibre, aero-optimised, 3D printed wonder guard with titanium mounting brackets and end up buying a Mudhugger anyway cos it doesn’t work as well, so you may as well just bite the aesthetic bullet and get one to start with.

I can’t even find a snazzy all singing one to try!

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

No way I’d use a carbon mudguard.

Polyprop bends easily when you fall off/catch your leg / lash the bike in the car.

A stiff carbon one will either move position or break or hurt your leg

Premier Icon nickc

it’s a total aesthetic travesty

this made me lol…

I use the crudguard rear (that mounts of the seatpost) it’s a horrid looking thing, but it’s behind me, so I don’t have to look at it when I riding, and I actively try to ignore it when I have to look at the bike.

Premier Icon tjagain

Well the blingy carbon front guard arrived today and it is really really nice and looks like it will work really well.  I think this is the first time I have ever bought anything for looks over cost / function ( a mudhugger front would be nearly as good)

Oops

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.